CLRs as studio monitors?

pima1234

Fractal Fanatic
I would love to downsize. I love the Adam P11A monitors I've been using at home (they are phenomenal, by the way!). And my Carvin DCM 1540L with two Xitone passive cabs rig works so well with the Axe FX and as PA speakers.

But, I'm considering selling those in favor of two CLRs.

Any thoughts?

Other than the size of the CLRs at home, I imagine they would make killer monitors (although not near field, of course).

The key here is that we're planning to relocate. Less gear takes up less space.

Thanks!

Do you gig or just play at home?

I was thinking to get a set of Adams for my home office so they can run double duty.

I have a separate setup for gigs (Matrix/NL12s)

Do you gig or just play at home?

I was thinking to get a set of Adams for my home office so they can run double duty.

I have a separate setup for gigs (Matrix/NL12s)

I thought you were going to grab a pair of the Sismic monitors?

I do both, although mostly home now.

I was thinking (hoping) that CLRs could serve double duty. Otherwise, I'm completely happy with my rig.

Oh, and active wedges would save space in my large rack too since I wouldn't require a power amp (leaving space for another rack drawer to house the MFC).

I'm using two Neo CLRs in my home studio - light weight and man are they versatile and - bonus - road ready! :encouragement:

A number of people now doing exactly what the OP is pondering - many will chime in once they see the thread.

I have two CLR's and have used them in stereo many times both listening and cranking out playing along with source material from my DAW/mixer. Work great. I would consider them as mid-fields/long-fields in terms of how to compare them to your typical studio near-fields though; based on size, power and headroom.

The CLR's have a huge footprint compared to most near-field monitors and that needs to be taken into consideration. The sweet spot using two of the CLR's is exceptionally wide; far better than most studio near-fields of any note. Headroom and clarity are both very strong points. They interface with MANY different sorts of inputs in terms of level they can handle on the inputs and gain staging them allows you to run most any source (they accept 1/4" and XLR inputs).

I find I prefer them to my dialed in and tried-and-true studio monitors; but I cannot fit them (nor would I want to) where I put my near-field studio monitors. So I keep them on the floor or put them up on poles across the room when and if I want to use them in that manner. I will say that it is GREAT fun to do so; and I find them very musical and more than versatile enough for the job even though this is not their intended purpose.

I recently used a CLR for some critical listening.
It's certainly got the clarity, but its just too much speaker for the size of my office.
Still very impressed with the quality of sound though.

At loud volume I actually found myself wanting a sub to go with the CLR.
I don't know how anyone who has listened to these with program music, thinks these are boomy.

Reactions: sam
Just got my standards last week, 4 gigs.. excellent. Just today hooked them up in studio.
AWESOME!!! Listening to Opeth Ghost reveries right now, wow
Very happy with my purchase.

I thought you were going to grab a pair of the Sismic monitors?

I said "I was thinking" not that I was getting.:mrgreen

2 months is a long time to wait when you have a few extra Shekels burning a hole in your pocket :lol

However, my wife just walked in my office and said that I need to get a generator switch installed in our fuse panel for the generator so we don't have to run cables into the house when the power goes out after a storm.

Me thinks that extra shekels have just left the building.:?

Decision made! I'm on the list. (Any idea of how long?)

Be on the lookout for some good deals on the aforementioned equipment.

Thankfully, I have the room in my studio to pole mount the CLRs. I've been clearing out gear this past year. GAS is almost over.

CLRs are awesome at home on poles as monitors, BUT they are large and generate a large body of sound as well, so if you stick them in corners of untreated rooms there may be some boom. Otherwise they are phenomenal.

Decision made! I'm on the list. (Any idea of how long?)

Be on the lookout for some good deals on the aforementioned equipment.

Thankfully, I have the room in my studio to pole mount the CLRs. I've been clearing out gear this past year. GAS is almost over.

You'll love them - they sound absolutely wonderful, and can easily pull double duty for stage and studio, if like Scott said you have the space for them.

I use mine for studiomonitors in a treated room and I just can't get over how revealing and musical these monitors are.

FWIW, when I recieved mine I actually put them head to head with some high end reference Adam studio monitors and mixed on both with a producer/engineer friend, and we both prefered the CLR's.

So awesome to be able to use these for so many different things. Really astounding that they could be preferred over Adams for studio mixing while at the same time being an incredible stage monitor, and not only that but just killer as a backline guitar speaker. What an incredible product.

So awesome to be able to use these for so many different things. Really astounding that they could be preferred over Adams for studio mixing while at the same time being an incredible stage monitor, and not only that but just killer as a backline guitar speaker. What an incredible product.

Scott can challenge me on this to keep me honest, but I have found that the louder I crank these puppies (two NEO CLRs) up the better they sound!

My only regret? I should have bought three instead of two for a wet/dry/wet setup. :)

Back
Top Bottom