CLR wedge vs Line 6 Powercab

If you like the sound of that specific 1x12 cab with a variety of the baked in speaker models; the PC is great. If you want the experience of a 2x12 or a 4x12 out of it; you aren't going to get that. If you want a great FRFR; the CLR is awesome. It isn't going to sound like a 4x12 either but it will pummel you quite nicely.

Again, the OP did not mention anything about vocals or playing bass... and should not take away from the powercab because its not a swiss army knife. It's like saying that a Les Paul is subpar, because it doesn't do good Fender strat tones. Or deciding to buy a Marshall half stack on if you could use it as your backup acoustic rig.
What Yeky was originally said was subpar as FRFR.
So using your analogy, it's like saying a Les Paul is a sub par Fender Strat....and that is true.

I'm not taking anything away from that cab at all. It may be an amazing solution for use with the AX8.
But it is not FRFR. That was the point that was made. A Les Paul is not a Strat.
It's not a matter of if it's the right solution, it's a matter of clearly describing what it's capable of.

uuuhhhhh, you did what??????? :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

True bass cab it is not but I am glad it met your need at the time! :blush:
Everyone in the room (including me) was surprised at how well it did at handling Bass.
It was the only 12" speaker that did not flub out on the low notes.
It did not produce super low notes, but it cut them off at the right point so that no cabinet/speaker distortion occurred.
Almost like it had a HPF at the right frequency to avoid trying to create frequencies it was not capable of.
It was punchy though!

What Yeky was originally said was subpar as FRFR.
So using your analogy, it's like saying a Les Paul is a sub par Fender Strat....and that is true.

I'm not taking anything away from that cab at all. It may be an amazing solution for use with the AX8.
But it is not FRFR. That was the point that was made. A Les Paul is not a Strat.
It's not a matter of if it's the right solution, it's a matter of clearly describing what it's capable of.
Thank you, exactly my point.

I dunno why this has become an argument, perhaps we can move on @chrisjnyc. Following @InsideOut's lead, wanna wish you peace, love and all that other good happiness stuff ;)

I haven't tried the Line6 yet. I have tried about 6 other FRFR speakers. What I like about the CLR is that it sounds closest to my studio monitors. All the other speakers I tried colored the sound in different ways, but with all the tuning potential you have with Fractal, you can make them all sound good.

I just ordered one of the L6 powercab today, got convinced by a GC employee. I have a studio monitor setup, a PA setup, and an electrovoice powered monitor setup, and tube amps, This got me interested because of the weight, it claiming to be designed for guitar modellers, and that it might be pretty loud(?). Mostly the weight. I have an XL+, so I wasnt thinking the cab modelling would be useful, but I am going to try the ones they provide (I got the regular powercab model).
Things I have read make it sound like it is speaker modelling rather than cab modelling (maybe it compensates for the speaker? I dont know if there is a difference). Alot of people are trying to make the comparison between a modellers cab modelling is mic'd vs this is out a "guitar speaker" sound, but I can use a null mic on my axe fx so I dont know if this is any improvement over that.
I have never played with a competing frfr. If anyone has tried the line 6 and a CLR or Headrush, can you speak about the cost delta vs quality, is the CLR $400 better than the line 6 and is the headrest half as good as the line 6? The price point of the Line 6 was easier to sneak past the wife than the CLR would be...
Am I paying a premium for the cab modeling I may not use and is there no other benefit to the line 6?
Real specs to support your argument or personal experience is greatly appreciated. I plan to compare the sound to my PA the volume with my 6505 to see where it sits compared to those to decide whether to keep it, but I have a nagging worry that it might be no better than a $300 Headrush.

I have the PC Plus here at my place. Right now I do compare it with my Yamaha DXR10. Well, I prefer the DXR10 over the PC.
The PC ist not that bad, but the the response while playing is different. Does anybody know if there is a ADA conversion in the PC. Even in Flat mode?

I have the PC Plus here at my place. Right now I do compare it with my Yamaha DXR10. Well, I prefer the DXR10 over the PC.
The PC ist not that bad, but the the response while playing is different. Does anybody know if there is a ADA conversion in the PC. Even in Flat mode?
Hard to tell without a schematic or opening one up, but I would be surprised if the created different channels for the FRFR than the modelling. I also imagine the FRFR is partially accomplished through processing as a speaker alone wont likely act that way. Have you tried the modes that turn the center speaker off while still running your modeller cab sim? Are the included Sims not worth it to you?

I don't like the integrated sims. The results with the DXR or any other FRFR ist absolutely fantastic.
The whole system doesn't make any sense to me now. You only increase the latency because of AD/DA conversion.

Will sent the PC back.

On the other hand. When I use my AXE FX 3 with AES OUT -- PC AES IN, it feels good. But , how to create a stereo setup with AES ;-)

I don't like the integrated sims. The results with the DXR or any other FRFR ist absolutely fantastic.
The whole system doesn't make any sense to me now. You only increase the latency because of AD/DA conversion.

Will sent the PC back.

On the other hand. When I use my AXE FX 3 with AES OUT -- PC AES IN, it feels good. But , how to create a stereo setup with AES ;-)
There's AD/DA conversion with the DXR too, as well as many other FRFR types.

;-/ Yes, I found out a few hours ago. I added my tubeamp into the test run.
1) AX 8 into DXR and PC and Tubeamp.
2) AXE FX3 into DXR and PC via AES.

AX8 : The best playing feel was provided by - guess what - Tubeamp. DXR second and last PC.
So I searched the web for the schematic of the DXR and find out there is DADA conversion, digital crossover.
Maybe - as TonyG said - more processing in the PC.

AXE FX3: I prefer the AES into PC over the DXR. BUT!! It is not fair to compare AXE FX3 vs AX8 ;-)

So, for many years I played the AXE FX family into FRFR with passive crossover using a solid sate amp.

Then I played in a band into a Behringer X32. The DXR10 was connected via BUS out. That was an awkward feeling so
I connected the AX8 via OUT2 directly to the DXR. Way better.

Same scenario with the AXE FX 3. In other bands, I have to play IEM. Again digital consoles (Behringer and Midas).
Same awkward feeling. First I blamed it on the IEM per se, but after I sent my guitar signal directly to the IEM, everything worked quite good.

But - unfortunately - nothings comes compared to my Hafner P3000 into Yamaha NS10 ;-(

I got my Powercab yesterday and have done a little bit of playing. I have a behringer pmp3000 going into 2 yamaha 15 inch with horns and some electrovoice EKX powered speakers that I compared against. I am using the axe fx 2 XL+. I do have a peavey 6505 tube amp that I havnt compared anything against yet except for that being my volume benchmark.
I was looking for a light solution for bringing to jams and gigs. I dont gig much anymore but about once a week I am bringing all my gear somewhere to jam.
Sound wise, the PC was actually kindof impressive in FRFR mode, it seemed to add some presence which i think people are calling "amp in the room" sound, which some may not like cause it is a coloration in what is advertised as a zero coloring mode. It did feel in this mode more like an amp than my powered speaker setups. My EV were definitely nicer sounding though, but now I notice they do not have that "presence". I am saying presence because I assume it is some filtering technique which gives a similar effect to the presense treble filtering in amps, but I am not sure what they are doing, it would be interesting to see an FFT comparison between input and output. I noticed the PC is also very directional, which is fine if you just want it for stage monitoring, but it maybe isnt optimum for people hearing it that dont have it pointed right at them, doesnt seem to fill the room well.
I so far do not enjoy the built in cab models, they do not sound optimum for the types of amps and tone setups I have. To be fair, i did not tweak my tones to accomidate them, but I didnt notice anything mindblowing enough about them to make me want to spend time doing that rather than using the IRs in my Axe.
To me, for the price point, it sounds good enough and would work decent for people who do not play with loud drummers. I jam with a jazz group, a prog group, and a metal group. I think this thing would have enough volume for the jazz and prog, but it still will leave me carrying around my 6505 for the metal group. I dont know if there is the solution I was dreaming of, finding something that weighs 30lbs with at least half the volume of a 150W tube amp, but this isnt it. Does the CLR have the volume I am looking for, how about the Headrush?
I am hoping to jam with a drummer this weekend and I will see if it is the last nail in the coffin or not.

If you are playing an AX8, I think the CLR has enough volume for metal if you are running with the standard output setting where you set the output around 11. (You may need to kick it up a little from that). If you are running with the what, minus 4dB setting, at 100%, it might be touch and go.

Back
Top Bottom