Clr vs xitone

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
I currently own a clr but am very interested in having a custom xitone with 3 space rack made. However I've never had a change to play through a xitone. I hear great reviews regarding micks product. And he's been happy to answer any questions I have

But can anyone give their thoughts on overall volume and sound quality compared to a clr. The clr was a significant increase in power and volume vs my rcf I had prior. The clr was rated at 500 watts lower than the rcf but had much more punch and volume in my opinion. But the xitone uses the matrix gm50 which only puts out 400 watts.

I'm hoping it can keep up with the clr.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do some searching here. I've chimed in a bit on the comparison. Both are outstanding. Different, with their own character and strengths.

I actually had two 2x12 Xitone passive cabs, but sold them to downside my rig, and due to a relocation. I still have an active 1x12 Xitone wedge, along with my CLRs.

1 Xitone 2x12 would have been plenty for home and gigs. I had two because I used them as my mains.

I feel like I've said my piece about XiTone if you'd care to search for it... However I'm always happy to chime in on this topic!
When I first got my AxeFx I tried non-FRFR through 4x12s, 2x12s, FRFR thru Mackie, CLR, then a XiTone wedge.. I read so much about CLR and also the cheaper alternative of ALTO active PA speaks... I have to admit, they all sounded killer in their own way but the CLR and the XiTone wedge stuck out as clear front runners.
I had a harder time time getting aggressive rock tones out of the CLR at first. It was bassy and hollow sounding to me, but the cleans were stellar. I could've easily lived with a CLR at that point and put up with that bassiness I was experiencing. Also, Because of the CLR construction a smaller amp seamed to push this thing really well and give me my volume I desired, if needed. Then I played a friend's XiTone wedge here in Seattle. He had a 150x2 1u rack amp and it absolutely floored me.. It's construction imho, simply overwhelmed the CLR for what I needed. It had an immediate and tight low end response at any wattage, I heard more differences between amp models and IRs making it easier for me to weed out the amps and cabs I less preferred and get to dialing in useable sound, and above all it simply felt like a traditional cab! I called Mick and he immediately gave me about ten options over a couple emails and a couple phone calls.

I now proudly play a XiTone 212 cab that independently switches from FRFR to non and the construction is that of a tank. My sound is...perfect. I use a Matrix GT800 in stereo and I use it every week as a HardRock cab, an acoustic monitor, and as of last week, a bass cab. I have forgotten all about my CLR debate.
Downside: it's heavy. I have mine in an ATA case (which truly it doesn't need because of it's amazing industrial covering) but I have a custom graphic that I don't want to get befuckled on the road and in transit. This takes it up to 80+lbs. But to me, that's a small price to pay for what it does, how it sounds, and what I am used to. The NL12 cab is like a shoebox in comparison, weight-wise and if weight is a factor, keep looking.
However, knowing Mick as I do he can make you a barebones cab that might skip some additional weight and still get that solid build we all look for.

I hope this helps! If you or anyone wants to hear my rig and is in/near seattle, PM me and I'll let you take it off the chain in a studio setting. I'll bet you'll be emailing Mick on your way home!

Good Luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Note: the 1u amp I initially tried the XiTone wedge with was a velocity300.

I own a pair of 1x12 passive XiTone wedges running through a GT1000FX. I can't compare them with the CLR. I tried to order one at the end of last year and was unsuccessful in trying to do so. That being the case I went with the XiTones and am extremely happy with them. I play classic rock for the most part and mostly use a single cab on the backline. As far as how loud they are? With a single one I've been told on a few occasions that I need to turn down my volume, so they're definitely loud enough and have no problem cutting through the band. They rock. I'm happy with my sound and am frequently told by others that they like how my rig sounds.

My observations:

The CLR is a known dual model FRFR solution that has rave reviews but Atomic has many documented customer service issues.

XiTone will build you anything you want, which is great, but the end result flatness is unknown.

It would be ideal if everyone provide spec sheets on their products, but none in the FRFR game do, so how do you know which is flatterer?

I own two of each (two passive 1x12 Xitones Wedges paired with a Matrix GT1000FX and two powered CLR Wedges).

My opinions;

- They are both very excellent systems.
- The CLRs sound more hi-fi than the Xitones. Less color. A little smoother sounding high end.
- The Xitones have more of a traditional cab feel to me. They sound tighter and more focused in the midrange. They are more percussive when you dig in.
- The CLRs have more low end
- The CLRs have wider dispersion, but not by as much as you might think. The Xitones are really good in this way also.
- The build quality of the Xitones is amazing. Built like a tank. Much more rugged finish.
- The CLRs are somewhat louder in my experience while remaining clean and undistorted.
- The price/value of the Xitones is excellent. They are lot of speaker for the money.
- Mick at Xitone is one of the nicest guys on earth. My dealing with Atomic (though limited) have been great too.

I tend to favor the CLRs because I play guitar, bass & Chapman Stick. All at moderately loud levels (i.e. I can keep up with a drummer using an acoustic set). The CLRs fit the bill perfectly because of the fidelity and frequency response. However, if I were strictly playing guitar, the Xitones would totally work as well in my opinion.

Both are great... hard to go wrong.

I think I may give it a shot and just hang on to my clr. I really love the idea of having my axe and cab all in one unit but I don't want to give up sound quality. I did notice a significant increase in quality when I got my clr over the rcf.

My only concern is that I'm ordering custom and can't return the cab if I decide it's not a fit. I may take a Bit of a loss on it if I have to sell it off.

But from the sound of it the quality of the two should be fairly similar.

I have a couple of Euphonic Audio VL110 cabinets, which are my typical backline for most stages. I also have a Xitone 1x12 wedge. The Xitone is really great, and I think it actually sounds a little smoother than the Euphonic cabs. None of my cabinets / wedges are powered. I use a Carvin power amp for all configurations.

Mick from Xitone is wonderful to work with, and I'm very happy with my 1x12 monitor. If I was building a system from scratch, I'd definitely go with Xitone for everything.

Xitone is not really a decrease in sound quality from the CLR, just different.

And that's the point, the goal of most FRFR shoppers is the flattest option, period. Different from flat is non-flat, undesirable in this instance.

this is pretty much spot on from what I experienced as well when I had them both and A/B'd them. I used a Fryette 2/50/2 to power the passive Xitones I had.
sounded pretty badass.

I own two of each (two passive 1x12 Xitones Wedges paired with a Matrix GT1000FX and two powered CLR Wedges).

My opinions;

- The CLRs sound more hi-fi than the Xitones. Less color. A little smoother sounding high end.
- The Xitones have more of a traditional cab feel to me. They sound tighter and more focused in the midrange. They are more percussive when you dig in.
- The CLRs have wider dispersion, but not by as much as you might think. The Xitones are really good in this way also.
- The build quality of the Xitones is amazing. Built like a tank. Much more rugged finish.
- The CLRs are somewhat louder in my experience while remaining clean and undistorted.
- The price/value of the Xitones is excellent. They are lot of speaker for the money.
- Mick at Xitone is one of the nicest guys on earth. My dealing with Atomic (though limited) have been great too.

I tend to favor the CLRs because I play guitar, bass & Chapman Stick. All at moderately loud levels (i.e. I can keep up with a drummer using an acoustic set). The CLRs fit the bill perfectly because of the fidelity and frequency response. However, if I were strictly playing guitar, the Xitones would totally work as well in my opinion.

You won't regret it.

I would echo karma's post (because I've said the same thing), for those who are looking for a more cab-direct feel, Xitone is most likely the answer.

You won't regret it.

I would echo karma's post (because I've said the same thing), for those who are looking for a more cab-direct feel, Xitone is most likely the answer.

Do the presets still translate well to FOH? I found that my presets were a lot more accurate in the FOH when I switched to the clr

Any specific features of a custom xitone that any of you recommend? I'm definitely getting horn bypass switch. Think it's worth going with s higher quality speaker besides the standard eminence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any specific features of a custom xitone that any of you recommend? I'm definitely getting horn bypass switch. Think it's worth going with s higher quality speaker besides the standard eminence

Actually I can answer that from real world experience. I happen to live fairly close to Mick and when we were specing my Xitones, we wondered the same thing. So, I ordered several higher end drivers and Mick was kind enough to build several test boxes. I then made a trip to Xitone and we set up in a large, acoustically treated space. He tweaked the higher end driver boxes with a good reference mic and software to be within a couple of db flat across the spectrum. His stock configuration is flat like this by design. We then A/B'd the high end boxes against his stock configuration. End result was that the standard configuration was every bit as good sounding, loud, clear, etc. etc. as any of the higher end drivers. I committed to the standard configuration on the spot and we sent the high end drivers back.

Mick could probably elaborate if you ask.

My opinions;

Well written.
I own both and agree with this.
I love both.

I will say, I wish every speaker had the xitone finish...bulletproof.

Back
Top Bottom