CLR sudden hiss?!

pima1234

Fractal Fanatic
We just relocated. We, and our belongings survived the trip from Nebraska to Michigan. (Still NOT convinced it was the right thing to do... tell that to my wife)

Anyway, my CLRs have been giving me a great deal of tonal bliss since I purchased them new (IIRC, just over a year ago). No issues whatsoever. Now, after the move, they hiss, with no cable connected and no input volume. A couple seconds after I turn them on, I hear the hiss. It's louder than my Axe FX fan, for sure. This wouldn't be a problem live, really, but it's no fun at home.

I've e-mailed Tom about it, and I know he'll get back to me soon. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

They were packed in their original boxes, with the huge silica gel packs still in there. Hoping humidity isn't the culprit. Michigan has had a ton of rain. (Maybe Scott Peterson just south of us in Ypsilanti can give a shout). They only sat in the garage overnight and for part of the next day. Then, we've worked to keep the humidity in the house down to 50%.

Well, thanks in advance.

Forgot to mention that I also hear noise when adjusting the master vol on the CLRs or the output control on the Axe FX. That seems strange, like maybe a bad ground somewhere. (There's a real good chance that it's the house wiring. I'll take it to a place with good electrical just to troubleshoot. "Oh, please tell me that the house is properly grounded!")

My active CLR wedges also produce a "good" amount of hiss as well, ever since. Nothing connected to them. Gets worse when I crank the master. I am hoping for the NEO Speakers to be available in Europe, then I will get the speakers and the power amps replaced. I am having other issues with the power amps also (jumps in volume, crackles, etc.). From what I read on the forum the first gen amps have had issues.

Hey pima, could it be the CLR's master is crancked up? The first issue you described sounds like this is the case. Are you sure you're properly gain staging your rig? Start with the CLR's master at zero; raise the Axe's output quite high with your loudest rig, set the CLR input so that it doesn't clip, then raise the CLR's master at will. The hiss should go. As for your second issue, yes, it sounds like the electric network at your new place could not be as good as the previous one. You might want to try for a moment with a temporary grounding and see if the issue is solved. If this is the case, you might consider having the net checked by a pro. HTH

Even with either CLR's master volume on zero there is still hiss, which increases as I turn it up. I can also hear a noise when I increase or decrease the volume, both on the CLRs themselves and my Axe FX output volume.

No reply yet from Tom, but I'm sure he will soon.

I do still have my wonderful Xitone 1x12 for mono listening. Once the CLRs are repaired and functioning properly, I may sell them and get another Xitone. Of course, one thing I really appreciate about the CLRs is the dual inputs and ability to monitor either one, or both. That's one of the big reasons why I purchased them. Then again, I do have a small mixer I could use.

Yes. I shouldn't have said "on zero". I meant when it's turned down. Something is definitely amiss though.

And these were not first run ones.

Shipping them from Michigan won't be terrible, but it's still just another expense. Ughhh...

Yes, the hiss is there with the master all the way down. Never noticed it before.

Also, when I move the master volume control on the CLR, there is a scratching kind of sound. And, when I move the Out 1 control on the Axe FX, I hear a low frequency digital click sound.

This is all new. Before the move, everything was just fine. The CLRs were packed in their original boxes and packed very safely in the moving truck. But, who knows...? Maybe something happened. Hoping to nail this down.

That being said, I had a great time playing some RUSH with my Axe FX through them today.

Although at one point, I had a Spinal Tap moment. Something like the beep when a truck backs up was coming through the speakers. I think a ground got knocked loose, or maybe a short somewhere.

Isn't the Axe knob sound due to the special kind of pot he used?

I have a lot of probs here with my guitar and Axe close to the PC or other interference, but the CLR is "dead quiet", even ungrounded in a different power outlet.

It seems you *did* move closer to HAARP...? ;)

Last edited:
LOL! Right. Well, we're definitely in a flow over zone. Maybe chemtrails...!

But yeah, my CLRs were dead-quiet before this. I'm definitely not making something up, or just now hearing something that has always been there.

According to Tom, there's most likely nothing wrong, and the noises are "normal".

Hmm...

That's really good to know. I honestly just don't ever remember hearing it before.

Everything is fine (well, better, anyway) if I keep the master pretty low.

Just messaged Jay Mitchell (over on The Gear Page) about this, to see what he has to say.

I've had many more people tell me that they hear zero hiss from their CLRs. I guess the hiss issue is isolated, and it's certainly not bad. You wouldn't notice it on stage and I just keep the master low at home (compensate with the Out 1 control on the Axe FX).

Yes, generally speaking the signal feeding the CLR should be as high as possible in order to get the best results, regardless the absolute noise level.

Reset my signal chain with the CLRs and it's much better. Master is super low (for home use). Still sounds amazing at lower volume (not bedroom volume).

Back
Top Bottom