CLR Question

Slammin Mofo

Inspired
Are the CLR speakers much better/flatter than let's say very good studio monitors (neumann kh120a and better)? Would you recommend them for mixing and mastering? From what I gathered, these speakers are built to deliver a studio like sound to live settings, so they should perform, in a studio environment that is, as good as nice studio monitors, no?

Would you care to elaborate? The CLR designer has a different opinion.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I think what he means is because they are a 12" speaker you would have to be set back a lot further then you would if you were using a true near filed monitor. So unless you have a studio that offers you a lot of depth for the console it would be rather impractical to use then as studio monitors in the traditional sense.

I would not use a 12" speaker this size as a near-field monitor; though it's response is breathtakingly flat and frankly equals or outperforms many higher end (and big $$$) studio monitors.

I'd personally put these in a midfield position, not near-field. They are just too big.

They sound good in my smallish mix room ~2500 cu ft. The CLR's are ~3ft from the walls.

I'm in the process of flipping to the other side of the room for a better reflection free zone but I can't until I am done tracking my current project.

Well, Mr Mitchell did not write that the CLR sound "better" than any studio monitor at any price range. For sure high-end studio monitors exist for a reason.

No he didn't say "better" ..., he said "more accurate and transparent than many widely-praised studio monitors" ....

I don't know about you, but accuracy and transparency is what I think of when I'm comparing studio monitors ....

And given my ability to afford a given set ..., I'd certainly lean toward more of both ....

If I know I've got the most accuracy and transparency "I" can afford, then I through programming I can make my Axe-II sound as good as I can !

Maybe that's just me though ....

One thing that Jay has pointed out is that the CLRs will have a higher noise floor than your typical studio monitors. They have a similar S/N ratio but since they get much louder, there's a commensurate increase in noise at the low end of the volume spectrum.

No he didn't say "better" ..., he said "more accurate and transparent than many widely-praised studio monitors" ....

I don't know about you, but accuracy and transparency is what I think of when I'm comparing studio monitors ....

And given my ability to afford a given set ..., I'd certainly lean toward more of both ....

If I know I've got the most accuracy and transparency "I" can afford, then I through programming I can make my Axe-II sound as good as I can !

Maybe that's just me though ....

I feel you, I can't see a contradiction with what both Chris and me wrote tho. I believe that monitors may exist that sound better than the CLR. I also believe that the CLR may have a very high Q\P, parhaps the best in their class. Also believe that they can sound better than other more expensive monitors.
Using what you can afford to evaluate the absolute quality of anything doesn't seem a consistent approach to me... ;)

Peace and Axes

Well …, reading your comments without the benefit of voice inflection you both seemed quite dismissive. If I mis-understood then accept an apology ….

After that, please don’t put words in my mouth either ….

I did not say that was my standard of absolute quality either.

All I’m saying is I want the most transparency and accuracy that I can afford …. If the CLR is it, then that’s what I want. Function matters to me way more than form ….

That’s all !

THANKS ….

In my case, I've got vintage NS10's and a good quality Yamaha A/B power amp from the 80's.

These actually sound good for what they are. My room is treated fairly well but small.

The CLR's are noticably clearer in the 1K region. I can hear more detail and notice subtle panning changes more clearly.

For comparison listening, I set my monitor controller for zero gain, playback -20dbfs pink noise from my DAW, place a decent (Galaxy) SPL meter C weighted at the listening position, and set each monitor level to measure 83db SPL.

I use that "zero" position to mix and evaluate.

Well …, reading your comments without the benefit of voice inflection you both seemed quite dismissive. If I mis-understood then accept an apology ….

After that, please don’t put words in my mouth either ….

I did not say that was my standard of absolute quality either.

All I’m saying is I want the most transparency and accuracy that I can afford …. If the CLR is it, then that’s what I want. Function matters to me way more than form ….

That’s all !

THANKS ….

Hey, no problems :)

from your post

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Chris@KatsuKuriMedia
I'm sure they won't sound bad, but studio monitors exist for a reason :)

Based on this statement .., I believe the designer of the CLR might beg to differ w/ you:

it seemed your point was that no studio monitors sound better. Which might well be the case, but I doubt about ;)

Would you care to elaborate? The CLR designer has a different opinion.

The designer would advice to use these as nearfield monitors for mixing and mastering purposes? I'd like to hear that from the man himself...They are designed with a certain (loud) purpose(s) in mind, and it certainly is not as nearfields. A big ol' 12" woofer + horn! Also, there are too many parameters involved in speaker behaviour for "linear" to mean much.

But the coaxial approach for a fullrange guitar speaker sounds like a good idea to me! ;)

Last edited:
very curious to hear this flushed out more. I realize they are primarily designed for more loudspeaker applications, but my hopes are to replace my nearfields (krk rokit 8's) with a pair of active wedges. should it not sound equally good at lower volumes as well? It would be nice to have presets only designed with one monitor in mind (CLR). I've seen a lot of conflicting comments about using the CLR's as nearfields.

CLR speakers are not near field monitors. I think that's the only fact. Everything else is opinion. Does it sound good 1 foot away from my face? Maybe. Does a near field monitor sound better 1 foot away from my face? Maybe. It depends on you, your room and other factors.

They certainly aren't sold as near field monitors.

I'm old, so to me, near field means how you are listening and has not much to do with the speaker design.

I think of near field monitoring as setting up the room and speakers such that the direct speaker output is the predominant sound you hear at the mixing position. First reflections are eliminated or diminished substantially.

The designer would advice to use these as nearfield monitors for mixing and mastering purposes? I'd like to hear that from the man himself...They are designed with a certain (loud) purpose(s) in mind, and it certainly is not as nearfields. A big ol' 12" woofer + horn! Also, there are too many parameters involved in speaker behaviour for "linear" to mean much.

But the coaxial approach for a fullrange guitar speaker sounds like a good idea to me! ;)

I believe that your negative answer to the question "so they should perform, in a studio environment that is, as good as nice studio monitors, no?" may not be correct as long as you have the appropriate placement for them.

According to Jay Mitchell they are "more accurate and transparent than many widely-praised studio monitors" and also...

"The Atomic CLR needs no minimum SPL in order to deliver its full sonic potential."

So based solely on Jay the answer is Yes :)

Back
Top Bottom