CLR owners, please help!

Rockuronium

Thanks for looking.

I've been playing traditional amps for ~15 years and recently bought a FM3 and an Atomic CLR Mark II Neo with hopes of transitioning to a more flexible, digital system. A top-tier modeler and a top-tier FRFR should sound fantastic, right? But, I'm just not thrilled with, well, any of my sounds. Yes, I try the position switches on the CLR. I've tried adding graphic EQ blocks and roll off the low end on IRs. I've purchased some excellent commercial IR packs. Still, I can't find sounds I love. Cleans end up sounding bloated and boomy or thin. Low-gain sounds feel stiff and flat. High gain sounds are more convincing, but I'm more of a blues/pop/rock player.

If I tinker with my presets enough, they start to sound OK...until I plug my Amp1 into my homemade $150 cabinet and realize how much warmer and just more enjoyable it is to play. It's like there's a connection to the sound that just isn't present with the FM3/CLR combination.

For those who have both a CLR and traditional amps, do you ever get clean to low-gain sounds with the Fractal unit and the CLR that rival what your amps can do? Any chance you might be willing to share a preset? I would really appreciate it!

Try the low cut and high cut knobs in the cab block. The CLR is covering a lot more frequency range than the guitar cabinet. Low cutting and high cutting puts it more in the cabinet range. I low cut almost everything to at least 80 and up to 200. High cut I can't hear as well but I drop it to 9K or so I think.

The CLR sounds fantastic to me. I like it better that my THD 2 x12.

Is your home made cab FRFR or a traditional cab?

I assume you know the differences in preset setup when using FRFR vs Cab?

Also, you understand that an FRFR is never going to sound like a cab in the room? It's not intended to...

Try the low cut and high cut knobs in the cab block. The CLR is covering a lot more frequency range than the guitar cabinet. Low cutting and high cutting puts it more in the cabinet range. I low cut almost everything to at least 80 and up to 200. High cut I can't hear as well but I drop it to 9K or so I think.

The CLR sounds fantastic to me. I like it better that my THD 2 x12.
I do tend to cut the highs and lows around those values. It seems strange, though, that an IR would hype the high/low frequencies when it's supposed to be an accurate response of the cab+microphone. Unless it's the microphone (and all microphones) doing this. I know, I know... a cab points at your knees. But even with your ear right in front of it, the sharp highs aren't there in the same way.

I've played with the EQ a lot--still can't quite seem to find that cabinet warmth.

Is your home made cab FRFR or a traditional cab?
Traditional! I've thought about putting in one of the celestion Fx12-200s though.

I assume you know the differences in preset setup when using FRFR vs Cab?
I do--cab block on/off, frequency cuts, FRFR vs power amp+cab.

Also, you understand that an FRFR is never going to sound like a cab in the room? It's not intended to...
Very much so. I just wish I could get the same warmth while retaining sparkle. With the FM3, I find myself perpetually tweaking. With my Amp1+cab, I just play. I would love to consolidate to my FM3 board if I could get that same warmth and responsiveness.

Thanks!

The CLR will sound different depending on how and where it's situated. My favorite is pole mounted w/ the appropriate setting on the CLR.

Remember the CLR isn't hyped, guitar cabs are missing frequencies. Most typically people have issues with FFFR cabs because they have them pointing straight at their ears and the guitar cabs at their knees...NOT saying you're doing this, it's just another factor.

Also, make sure you're gain staging the CLR appropriately. I run mine with the input around 75% open and the output is my volume control.

I like mine aiming forward behind me in back line mode. Use the cuts. You like it or you don’t. Up until a year or so ago I only had one. 2 really filled it out.

I use mine in front of me to monitor my guitar and vocals when performing or rehearsing. It gives me an accurate representation of what’s going out to the PA, and it pushes a bit of air. It will never feel like an amp in the room though, but exactly what it is; the sound of a miced up amp coming through a very flat monitor.

No problems, sounds like a charm and the best among all types of frfr amplification I ever had or still have (traynor K4 keyboard amp sold, dB FM12 floor monitor, RS FM10 that's very good in a band mix).

Rather check your patch if it has been initially designed for a non frfr cab.

No problems, sounds like a charm and the best among all types of frfr amplification I ever had or still have (traynor K4 keyboard amp sold, dB FM12 floor monitor, RS FM10 that's very good in a band mix).

Rather check your patch if it has been initially designed for a non frfr cab.
Any chance you'd be willing to PM a patch you've made? I'd love to hear what you're hearing. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom