CLR owners help me out.

kostein

Inspired
I have a few things that I've been wondering about. I'm contemplating of making the switch to Atomic CLR. I will probably pull the trigger sooner or later although I have to state that I am still really happy with my Atomic MB50 + Reactor cab setup. So here goes...

Powered vs. Passive. Advantages/disadvantages? Provided that I have the MB50 I've been asking myself what would be the best solution? Should I get a passive CLR and pair it with the MB50, or even sell the MB50 and get a different power amp? Or should I just get a powered one and be done with it? (like that ever happens :lol). I would guess the best way to get the "best" tone out of a CLR is getting a powered one.

Volume - Do you guys use a mixer to control volume? Do you use the Axe's output level knobs? How do you do it? With my current rig having the power amp right beside me when I play and I can change volume very easily. The Reactor cab is several feet away. Suppose I get a powered CLR (or two). I'd like to be able to change the volume without having to get up and going to the cab to do it.

That's all, at least for now:ugeek

I just keep two 500W relatively light-weight NEO wedges at my feet, without a mixer, but positioned for a balanced stereo spread.

More than enough power and great dispersion characteristics.

Each wedge has an XLR pass-through link for connection to FOH, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the Matrix GT1000FX with my passive CLR. Volume change is easy. And this thing sounds great. But I guess the real question is are you trying to use this thing outside of the house? Are you planning on using it live?

I use the Matrix GT1000FX with my passive CLR. Volume change is easy. And this thing sounds great. But I guess the real question is are you trying to use this thing outside of the house? Are you planning on using it live?

I will only use it for playing at home.

So I gainstage the CLR with the Axe-Fx's output knob fully on then I use the knob to control the level.

I gain staged my CLR Neo and set the max volume on the output to whee I would want it for using it "in the house"
and just use the volume knob on the front of the Axe to control volume. I have it set so when I get to about 1:00 on the front of the Axe ,it's getting pretty loud
I usually run it at around 10:00

Powered vs. Passive. Advantages/disadvantages?

They weight more or less the same. A passive cab will let you use your power amp.
OTOH, the active version has got several advantages over the passive one IMO:

the power amp is optimized for the loudspeaker
you get a loudspeaker overload power control
you get the DSP which helps placing the cab in several guises.

BTW, I'd advise you to buy an active wedge, since it's the most versatile form factor (can be used as a "cab" as well).

:)

I have a pair of active CLR, and basically set/forget the level. Live I control volume with the guitar and AxeFX, in the studio it's done via mixer or direct through a control station/switcher so I can easily go from studio monitors to CLR and back.

A pair is just so versatile I'd definitely recommend getting two actives if you can swing the money bag that far.

TT

Active. Not only can they do multiple-duty (backline, monitor wedge etc.), but since they have dual inputs, you can take your axe into one and foh into another - you've got the whole band, plus your guitar up louder for feedback effects and 'feel'.

Get the NEO active - 13LBS lighter!

Back
Top Bottom