CLR on speaker stand, anyone?

I use a pair of Atomic CLR Neos on stands at head-height. I think it is the most clear way to get uncolored sound reproduction. This is how I create my patches, but my room is untreated so I'm not very scientific about it. When I am about 10 feet away facing them, I don't hear much if any difference between angling toward my head vs parallel as if there is an audience behind me.

I have ´em on stands at head height in our rehearsal studio where I also do some mixing. Make sure to use the FF setting (if you have the active wedges). Never experienced any difference to my ADAM Monitors in my home studio soundwise. I am too lazy to put ´em on the floor just for rehearsals, so I leave ´em on the stands and it works well.

I have them on stands in my studio where the bottom of the driver is at the top of my head when I am sitting in the mix position, so just a little higher than head height. I wasn't very scientific about it. It's just the lowest setting on my stands.

I have them in Free Field mode.

I use mine with a couple of milk crates and I think it works very well. Does anyone now of any stands that will keep the CLR's at this sort of hip level (50cm/2 feet off the ground)? It seems that most PA speaker stands only goes to sort of ear level.

I use mine with a couple of milk crates and I think it works very well. Does anyone now of any stands that will keep the CLR's at this sort of hip level (50cm/2 feet off the ground)? It seems that most PA speaker stands only goes to sort of ear level.

Yes! I use mine with relatively cheap amp stands and they work great. I gig with them like this too. The stand I'm using is MusiciansGear which I think is a house brand by Musicians Friend. Here are some pics...

Attachments

• IMG_3259.JPG
    IMG_3259.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_3260.JPG
    IMG_3260.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 108
Sounds great on a stand, but, I found I really missed not being able to prop one foot up on the wedge on the floor, so went back to that method lol

Just flip the switch to the way you have it set up and it sounds great wedge, backline or stand. Very versatile product

Old topic...but you don't see much about it here.

I need something with a small footprint as I'm in an 8-piece band playing small to mid-sized clubs--space is at a real premium. I love using the CLR as a wedge...but if we don't have someone running the PA who really knows our music (and how to get the AX8 properly amplified in the PA), I've found from recordings that it doesn't sound good out in the audience. Setting it on the floor behind me was what I tried next...but often, on the small stages we play, the sound just blows past my ankles and I can't hear it that well. So I wanted to get it up a couple feet off the ground. I don't have room for a tripod type PA speaker stand so...

I'm about to build a hip-level stand with a 20" pole and pole-adapter (from Rockville) and a piece of 3/4" plywood.

I sometimes stack 2 CLRs. Small footprint and you can control levels to your ears (top one) and levels going out past your ankles into the room (bottom one). It's kind of like a hifi vertical 2x12 setup.

I tried two on top of each other. Didn't work for me as the wide dispersion leads to interference (comb filtering) and destroys the otherwise perfect sound. IMO they have to be spaced/angled accordingly.

I tried two on top of each other. Didn't work for me as the wide dispersion leads to interference (comb filtering) and destroys the otherwise perfect sound. IMO they have to be spaced/angled accordingly.
Try stacking them with the top one angled 90 degrees relative to the bottom one.

According to Jay Mitchell, the designer of the CLR, all speakers benefit from being up off the floor. His recommendation for getting the best coverage in a room with no P.A. support was to get it just above ear level of the audience. Anytime it's off the ground, no matter if on a pole or on top of something, set it to FF.

Back
Top Bottom