CLR Mk II -got yours yet?

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
Has anyone who ordered the Black Friday deal got their Mk II CLR's?
Quick shipping? More importantly performance, sound and reliability?

Anyone have any feedback on the improvements made that fixed whatever the module was that went out on so many of the earlier models?

Looks like there in stock but back to the $1,399 price

Hi, I received my CLR Neo MKII last week.

I've been using a 1st Generation CLR Neo since 2014... the Power Module went bad on it and I was waiting on a replacement when I saw the sale for the MarkII. For the last couple of months I've been forced to use my RCF and a friends K12, it was difficult to say the least. I received the Power Module last week and I'm going to do a Side by Side comparison of the CLR Neo and the CLR Neo Mark II this week.
In my opinion nothing compares to the CLR Neo as far as Clarity and Dispersion.

I used the MarkII Saturday night. It sounded great and definitely runs a little cooler.

Sweet, good to know! Please post your findings once you do a A/B tone test of the MkI with the Mk II !
I have a Xitone being built and ordered a Mk II CLR today so in addition to my Friedman asm's and RCF's I am set and will be doing a video comparing the asm/Xitone/CLR's
The RCF's only bolster my pa currently as well as act as high volume recording monitors.

Cool... I'm considering the XiTone also, have to figure out how to tell the wife ... let me know what you think of it...

Is there a significant improvement with the Neo's relative to the CLR's before? meaning the non-Neo CLR's ; other than weight and size? I understand there were some issues with power modules but sonically? major improvement?

Got mine. Sounds great! Still figuring out if I want to continue FRFR or not. But they sound awesome. Didn't have old version, so can't comment on that part.

I think the specs on frequency response should be pretty much the same from NEO to NEO MK2. What is different per the designer, Jay Mitchell, is that the MK2 runs a lot cooler and gets a little bit louder.

BTW, I haven't seen anyone ask about the horn, but I'm curious: it has same dispersion vertical and horizontal, but the bi-radial horn is not symmetrically shaped - the curved "walls" are top/bottom when the CLR is a wedge. On a stand as PA, the curved horn walls are left/right.

For those who will use it as PA on stands most of the time, I wonder if rotating the horn 90 degrees makes sense. I tested that and it sounds like everything 6k and up spreads a bit wider with the curved walls top/bottom vs. left/right. Off-axis line of sight to the driver is more limited with curved walls left/right. I did some reading and that might be the case, but it depends on the design of the bi-radial horn. Anyway, just thinking out loud.

I received my CLR Neo MKII and found it dimensionally identical to my MK I CLR Neo's, even fitting in my StudioSlips clamshell cover. (as expected) However, the MKII weighs in at 35.8 pounds, while the MKI's each weigh in at 33.8 pounds.

So far, I would say the MKII sounds like the MKI's with no noticeable differences there, but I did notice that the inputs seem to be a bit hotter and the clip light acts different than the MKI's. It comes on solidly and stays on until the signal has dropped below the threshold, while the MKI's will blink as it reaches and drops below the threshold.

That's all for now, but I'll provide more info as I put it through the paces.

For those who will use it as PA on stands most of the time, I wonder if rotating the horn 90 degrees makes sense. I tested that and it sounds like everything 6k and up spreads a bit wider with the curved walls top/bottom vs. left/right. Off-axis line of sight to the driver is more limited with curved walls left/right. I did some reading and that might be the case, but it depends on the design of the bi-radial horn. Anyway, just thinking out loud.

I'll have to mess around with that.

Mine shipped yesterday. The plan is to have my Friedman asm by the drummer and will hold down the low end and my Mk II CLR and Xitone will be out in front where we rehearse to share the bulk of the sonic duties!

FYI - I'm working from home today so even though I don't have much time to play with them, I figured I could do a test regarding the MKII version 'running cooler' than the MKI.

I turned on all of the CLR's and used them as monitors, although I was not cranking them at the same level I would when playing guitar through them. After a couple of hours, the fins on the the back of the MKII felt like they were at room temp while the MKI's were both rather warm to the touch, as usual.

I'll check this again after I have them cranked using a canned mono music source and make sure they are at the same SPL. I also want to compare the potentiometer levels as the MKI's inputs seem to kick in a little sooner than the MKII.

Last edited:
I got mine last Thursday. Unfortunately it worked for about 20 minutes before it started sputtering and popping. Tom answered an email I sent to him on Friday, and a new one was on the way Monday. Only wished it would have received a little faster shipping as it won't be here until after the weekend so I missed two gigging weekends with it already.....

Hope for better luck with the next one!

^ I agree. I plan to be especially picky with running the MKII through some more tests this weekend.

@sdelapasse , When you said yours "started sputtering and popping" was it cutting out intermittently, or was it more than that?

It was not cutting out intermittently. Sometime when there was no signal going through it you would randomly hear crackles and pops. However, when you tried to play anything through it, it would just make this awful noise.

I didn't get any indication from TK on what may be wrong, just apologized and had a new one sent out as soon as he could. The new gets here Monday last I checked. I will post results.

It was not cutting out intermittently. Sometime when there was no signal going through it you would randomly hear crackles and pops. However, when you tried to play anything through it, it would just make this awful noise.

I didn't get any indication from TK on what may be wrong, just apologized and had a new one sent out as soon as he could. The new gets here Monday last I checked. I will post results.

I had this issue among other things..sounds like a bad power module. As a matter of fact i have two bad power modules here if anyone wants them for parts. Just pay shipping.

Back
Top Bottom