CLR compared to studio monitor

Se7en

Inspired
Hi,

I'm on the waiting list for 2 CLRs and I believe I'm on the next shipment for EU.
While waiting for the CLRs I made a custom cab 2x12 fitted EVM2L Classic powered by GM50 module.
I'm extremly satisfied with this solution and with firmware 11 it's unbelievable.
Having said that I'm still GAS for CLR from what I've been reading on this forum

The thing is that I have a pair of Adam A7x in a fairly good treated room. They sound great when recording/mixing but it's not that great when just jaming or practice. Maybe I'm not a FRFR person or it's just the Adams that's no suited for "just playing". I'm afraid that CLRs is just louder than my Adams or do they "feel" different?
(Before I "converted" to digital world I've been using triaxis/2:90 and triple rectifier with Mesa 4x12 OS.)

I have/had your same problems/feelings. I find it is the 12" speaker that is the big difference.

I had ADAM A7's and thought they were great but compared to my Xitone cabinets, the Xitone's definitely gave me more of a traditional guitar cabinet feel. There is definitely a place for good studio monitors, CLR/Xitone styled cabinets and headphones with the AXE FX 2. All can sound great with the AXE FX. I just find it that the dispersion pattern and feel of a studio monitor FRFR solution is way different than a CLR/Xitone FRFR with a 12" speaker in the room.

In my treated studio/jam room I have electronic drums, AXE FX 2 and a bass modeler. We run everything through my M-Audio BX8A's w/subwoofer and I also run the AXE FX's second output through my Xitone cabinets. I keep the mix of my guitar on the Xitones up and the mix of my guitar on the studio monitors slightly down. This totally fills the room with sonic bliss! Hands down the best guitar tone I have ever had in the 30+ years of playing guitar.

I use Genelecs for tracking and mixing. When I got my CLR's, I thought they sounded great... definition, and that low end cabinet thump I had been missing... and THEN I played one of the most perfectly recorded/ mixed CD's ( to me ) through them... my jaw dropped ! Imaging, clarity, and depth... absolutely amazing...

This is interesting do you think a cabinet with the same concepts of Xitone, Atomic, and Matrix can be used as a studio monitor?

I use Genelecs for tracking and mixing. When I got my CLR's, I thought they sounded great... definition, and that low end cabinet thump I had been missing... and THEN I played one of the most perfectly recorded/ mixed CD's ( to me ) through them... my jaw dropped ! Imaging, clarity, and depth... absolutely amazing...

Same here.....overkill .....but awesome nonetheless.

I've got NS10's + Hsu sub in my treated mix room. They sound good for direct AxeFx II patch creation / jamming.

My CLR's in the same room sound great too. The CLR's better low end response will reveal low end issues in presets though. Not a fault of the CLR just FYI that you might need to make some preset adjustments.

The flip side is, once dialed in via the CLR, the presets translate GREAT to other systems. FOH, my NS10's etc.

Based on speakers. Most are using similar if not the same speakers (Coaxial) to achieve the FRFR concept. Some are ported some are enclosed but for the most part quite similar in passive state.

Thanks for your feedback!

It's a difficult decision because I’m very satisfied with my new EVML/gm50 cab. Sometimes I feel it’s a relief to dial in sound with a real cab and don’t have to decide which cab or cab mix for every patch. Next day I miss that option =]
I’ve been on the waiting list for 6 months and I really hate to miss that ticket. On the other hand it’s $2000 + tax and shipping, that money could be invested in a new guitar instead ;)

Personally I would get the CLR's and if they don't make you $2000 happier return them. The shipping is worth auditioning for two weeks in your own room on your own schedule. Fortunately I have friends with CLR's and was able to borrow one extensively. I will be buying a pair of active wedges any day now...

I use a couple of Cabinet Active CLRs as "studio monitors". Like GuitarDojo said, complete overkill but they are very transparent.

.. I've finally pulled the trigger and ordered 2 active CLRs wedges

I do love my EVMs but the biggest issue is that every amp-sim sounds similar.
Now as more and better IRs releases and CabLab made me switch to the FRFR side

Can you guys name some studio monitors that deliver CLR sound quality at a significantly lower price point, say in the 500$ to 1500$ (per pair) range, for those which don't need the volume or don't have the space to position CLRs properly?

I couldn't.
The point is, that the CLRs themselves deliver sound quality at a significantly lower price point that other products. Expect to spend at least double the price to match their quality.
Their price positioning is winning.
Also, Mr. Mitchell stated that reducing the size of the cab would lead to tradeoffs in the performance. True, they're not designed with studio monitoring in mind, but nevertheless they may worth the effort.

I've got NS10's + Hsu sub in my treated mix room. They sound good for direct AxeFx II patch creation / jamming.

My CLR's in the same room sound great too. The CLR's better low end response will reveal low end issues in presets though. Not a fault of the CLR just FYI that you might need to make some preset adjustments.

The flip side is, once dialed in via the CLR, the presets translate GREAT to other systems. FOH, my NS10's etc.

This seems to me to be a good thing - right? Better to dial out any low end issue during preset creation than hear about boomy/muddy FOH sounds after the gig is over. ;)

In my opinion (and experience) there is a fundamental difference between a nearfield monitor and a FRFR monitor - it's called sensitivity! Some speaker with sensitvity between 84-95dB per watt @ 1m distance were made for nearfield applications such as the name says - "nearfield", made for analytic listeners or studio mixing situations were the listener is close to the speaker
FRFR Monitors (and guitar cabinets too) instead have a much higher sensitivity - 95-103dB - they were made for transporting the energy over greater distances between the listeners ears and the speaker. Otherwise you wouldn't hear your FRFR cabinet alongside with a traditional amp on stage when standing in the crowd.....much to less efficiency ;)

If you need some good nearfield monitors - go and listen to various products yourself - take some of your reference CDs for your tests. If you need a great FRFR-Monitor with "studio grade quality responce" - invest in a CLR or a Matrix FRFR cabinet. Don't take you nearfield monitors on stage, also don't use a FRFR system as your nearfield monitor.
It might have the clarity and definition - but too much loudness makes you tired while mixing!

In my opinion (and experience) there is a fundamental difference between a nearfield monitor and a FRFR monitor - it's called sensitivity! Some speaker with sensitvity between 84-95dB per watt @ 1m distance were made for nearfield applications such as the name says - "nearfield", made for analytic listeners or studio mixing situations were the listener is close to the speaker
FRFR Monitors (and guitar cabinets too) instead have a much higher sensitivity - 95-103dB - they were made for transporting the energy over greater distances between the listeners ears and the speaker. Otherwise you wouldn't hear your FRFR cabinet alongside with a traditional amp on stage when standing in the crowd.....much to less efficiency ;)

If you need some good nearfield monitors - go and listen to various products yourself - take some of your reference CDs for your tests. If you need a great FRFR-Monitor with "studio grade quality responce" - invest in a CLR or a Matrix FRFR cabinet. Don't take you nearfield monitors on stage, also don't use a FRFR system as your nearfield monitor.
It might have the clarity and definition - but too much loudness makes you tired while mixing!

There is no reason to use excessive SPL with the CLR's as nearfields.

In fact, the CLR's sound incredibly balanced at 83dB SPL. That is my nominal "0" reference for mixing.

Can you guys name some studio monitors that deliver CLR sound quality at a significantly lower price point, say in the 500$ to 1500$ (per pair) range, for those which don't need the volume or don't have the space to position CLRs properly?

Check out suitably priced Genelecs. Imo, easy to translate between them, they sort of have same kind of crispness.

ive wondered this for a while. what are your opinions on using a pair of CLRs as one's sole mixing monitors?

Back
Top Bottom