CLR Broken - What next ? Any help appreciated

Purchased a couple of CLRs 2 years ago from the European distributor in N.Ireland. One of them is making a high pitch noise and crackling ................... funny thing is it's the one with maybe 5 hours use in total (sat in my office all the time)

If I turn off and on it goes away for a while. Also, noise is there when no Axe FX connected and reduces in volume with the volume knobs

Have emailed Atomic but no reply ?? Should I try and get it looked at myself by an amp guy as I can't see Atomic standing over it ............. even if they do get around to replying

Emailed the end of last week. Don't know of any contact details for the distributor. Were ordered direct from a link Tom gave me. If anyone knows the distributor contact details would be great

Id reach out to Tom again. He's mentioned before that unfortunately lots of emails hit spam. Don't forward the previous email,send a new one with differently subject. Hopefully it makes it and you get a response. Best of luck.

As a next step, if you don't hear back soon, you can pull the amplifier module out and check the spade lug connections on the circuit board to verify they are secure. Beyond that, you'll most likely need to take it to a tech. or return it to Atomic for repair, assuming you're not a tech yourself. The good news is, if you do need to return it, you can just return the amplifier module, saving you on shipping cost.

I had a very similar problem with one of my CLR's and the Power Unit had to be replaced. I sent an email to Tom King (not their customer service which I understand is suffering from heavy spamming) and received an answer almost immediately. I live in Norway and within a few days I got a new PU from the UK distributor. My experience with the customer support at Atomic is thar it is on par with Fractal i.e. excellent.

Tom really stands behind the gear. As was mentioned previously email him directly. If you don't hear back, email him again...he's a stand up guy! No, I don't work nor am I sponsored by Atomic, although I do have 3 CLR's.

I'm waiting for the Axe 8
I am thinking about the CLR's but have read quite a few posts about them breaking down. Is this a real concern for them?
Thanks,
Tim

I'm waiting for the Axe 8
I am thinking about the CLR's but have read quite a few posts about them breaking down. Is this a real concern for them?
Thanks,
Tim

IMO - no not a concern

With ANY electronics company that sells large numbers of units there is going to be some units that breaks down, that goes for Atomic Amps, Fractal - any electronics company.
But AFAIK Atomic AMps CLR are as stable as anything out there.

I've gigged 2 CLRs hard for about 3 years now without any hiccups.

IMO - no not a concern

With ANY electronics company that sells large numbers of units there is going to be some units that breaks down, that goes for Atomic Amps, Fractal - any electronics company.
But AFAIK Atomic AMps CLR are as stable as anything out there.

I've gigged 2 CLRs hard for about 3 years now without any hiccups.

Probably correct...and agree ...as a CLR owner for over two years I have had zero issues with mine.

I have seen several reports however on lack or shall we say, "relaxed" timescales for responses from Atomic......and that does concern me ever so slightly.

I had a simular issue. long story short, Tom replaced the power section for free, even though my CLR was just out of warranty. Granted that sounds like awesome right?. But it took a few months of unanswered emails after sending it in, and eventually led to me posting some ugly's here on the forum to get his attention, which after that I promptly got the replacement power section within a couple days. I love my CLR's but the lack of timely communication, especially in this day and age, left a very sour taste in my mouth. Unfortunately, as other's have mentioned, and as various threads will also confirm, this seems to be a common issue when dealing with Tom.

So Severed, Atomic left you without a working CLR for months and didn't really communicate ? :( That doesn't sound good. Still no reply to myself. Emails were sent to support@atomicamps.com and Tom himself.

Forgetting about the fact that this CLR has only a few hours on it, surely I should have access to some sort of repair network. Could some CLR users attempt to email Atomic so that they are made aware of my issue and I can be advised on how to get this fixed ?

TheUntalented, I got a message from my UK facility a couple of hours ago that they had heard from you and that you were having trouble getting through. I immediately jumped on it and found that your emails were going into our spam folder, then contacted you right away (via phone and email) - I've marked it as "not spam" so this shouldn't happen again. I haven't heard back yet so shoot me a PM here if you didn't get anything. We'll be able to take care of this for your right away. Thanks and sorry for your trouble getting through.

Just off the phone from Tom and I am getting the CLR repaired . Seems like a real nice guy and Sharon at the UK facility was really helpful . Was unlucky with one of my CLRs but it's getting fixed and got a trans-atlantic call from Tom to get it sorted . If any CLR owners have an email problem like mine I would PM Tom here.

I immediately jumped on it and found that your emails were going into our spam folder, then contacted you right away (via phone and email) - I've marked it as "not spam" so this shouldn't happen again.

Are there any plans in the future to fix this problem with Atomic's email? It seems many, many emails have been sent to your spam folder over the last few years. Can't you just check your spam folder regularly, or get a new email provider or something? Thousands of other companies have no problem with email communications, but I've noticed in many threads on the various gear forums that Atomic has had this issue for what seems like a few years now. I mean, can you imagine Cliff putting up with that kind of serious customer service problem for so long? Obviously, I have no inside info on what's going on there at Atomic, but from an outsider's perspective with limited info, it seems like a lame excuse for poor customer service, kinda like "My dog ate my homework". Fixing that issue would eliminate virtually all of the negativity out there about Atomic's customer service.

Update re. my CLR issue : New amp module fitted this morning and CLR back up and running. Happy customer here and have total confidence that any future service issues, should I have any, will be promptly dealt with :)
Do hope Tom sorts the IT/email issue though as it seems communication for some of us has been a problem . My email is aol.com and I do think that aol email has had past problems with being sent to spam by many business servers. I do not believe TFC (not dissing you btw) that it seems like a lame excuse for poor customer service . Having now dealt direct with Atomic I have confidence that they want to stand by and provide service to all their products and not just sell them to you and run away when there is an issue.
Don't want to appear/sound like an Atomic employee .............. just want to get my honest opinion across and give a bit of balance re. Atomic's customer service.

Back
Top Bottom