CLR Boomy?

Shredology

Experienced
So Cliff recently posted that during some testing he found the CLR boomy in the room. He was clear that it could have just been the room. Have any of the new CLR owners found them boomy?

I don't find them boomy. The original Atomic FR and my EV were boomy. The CLR and my RCF are not what I'd call boomy.

Not boomy here either.

But my main use of them is in a treated room and I positioned them in the best spot for the room (to my admitedly limited knowledge) and set their levels as I would a near field studio monitor.

I was having some issues -- but it was mostly pilot error as well as my room.

I got my two basic patches pretty nicely dialed in -- fairly close to where I want them to be.

Tomorrow is another day but so far it looks like I got things somewhat under control.

Sat night will be a big test for how well I have things dialed in.

The place will be packed and very loud.

ummm excusez me but wtf, omg, roflmao, Cliff aint just a "someone" brozier...

FWIW, I've had the pleasure of a recent PM dialogue with Cliff. In this conversation, he openly commended the CLRs as being pretty damn fine (sic). I'm by no means leaking sensitive data, he just genuinely seems to approve of their performance.

Boomy was not a word in this dialogue. For the record.

Ill let you guys know when the wedges are back in stock and I can finally order one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha jeez it's a fricken joke. Responses, huh? That means more than one. Can you show me 2 other snarky responses please?

I've contributed a lot here, but I can definitely stop responding to you. Take care.

Cliff also posted (though it is not mentioned here) that the room was boomy, not the CLR. Reference the Gear Page thread.

I thought it was a valid question to Cliff's comment. We want to hear the positives and the negatives of products from users and not rely on marketing hype. The CLR are not cheap you know! Good to know it is all positive so far.

I found the same thing when I first fired them up. But I attribute that to the room they're being used in (untreated) and the need to dial in my patches specifically for the CLRs. I was using studio monitors previously in a smallish room, so their lack of low end worked to my advantage with the room. I learned long ago to use smaller amps in smaller rooms and bigger amps in bigger rooms- fit the amp (or speaker) to the room when possible. This can result in a small amp sounding bigger and allow you to hit the sweet spot, etc. without crushing the room (and your ears). Ever run plexi head into 4x12 in a bedroom? It sucks unless you slave it or run pedals at low volume. I've found the CLRs, with some dialing in, to not be boomy or hyped in any frequency range. But I have to dial them in differently depending on the room..

At a jam last week some of stock patches had excess low end, particularly amps like the Uber, etc. Knocking down the low end on the global EQ worked fine (the cab was in sort of a corner on the floor in 'tilt' mode.)

I've found that if your patches have a lot of low end, the CLR will happily boom away exactly like you asked it to. In other words, it depends on your patch and the room -- the CLR will produce what you put into it.

TT

Back
Top Bottom