CLR !!!!!!!!!!! Axe II and FOH Unbelievable!

I'm not convinced , in the heat of battle, even I would know the diff. Maybe playing alone and A/Bing would reveal the differences but in a mix onstage? Am I really going to hear better reverb tails when keys, guitars, bass , and drums are blasting away?

I'm sure they are the bees knees but I can't imagine my patches sounding any better nor do I feel the need to sound better. I am just getting caught up in the current internet hype of it all.

I always wonder this myself. I have complete GAS, so I'm always looking for the next best thing....but in the heat of the battle as you put it, is there a 'big' difference? Well....I don't really know.

I bought the RCF nx12 wedge based on the hype (and I love it). I was previously using the FBT Verve 12ma.
The RCF definitely sounds better when tweaking at home.
But when I get to the gig....and I'm blasting away on stage....and my other guitar player is blasting away with his FBT Verve....is there a huge difference.....not really.
I dialed my RCF to sound great, he dialed his FBT to sound great.
There has absolutely never been a moment where I've thought to myself.....'wow, my mids are clearer than his'....or 'man, my delay trails are clearer than his'.

Do I like the RCF better?....yes.
Is it night and day?....not that I can hear while on stage.
Is it worth the $ to switch?.....totally a personal preference decision.

Mine is my shoulders. I am not allowed to lift anything above my waist anymore. First the doc took all the cartilage out of my right shoulder. Three years later and now he wants to do it to my left. Shit hurts man. I just can't lift weights anymore.

That sucks. I've been lifting weights a bit but have thought about giving that up and just using my body weight (pushups, dips, etc.). I'm in my 40s and things are going to get worse before they get better. :) I wonder how much of the pain now is from gigging with a Les Paul years ago and carrying 4x12s. :)

Spent some time with the CLR in my music room yesterday. It sounds good, yeah, but I didn't have the enlightenment moment that everyone is talking about. I am also coming from a pair of DLM12s to a single CLR so that might be part of it. My (now sold) K12 got louder I think. The master limit LED seemed to flicker pretty easily on the CLR. I never saw the limit LED on my K12 ever.

But it does sound good. Interesting design. The high end is right in your face with the horn being mounted in front of the woofer like that. I am used to the hyped lows/hyped highs pro-sumer speakers so this flat business will take some getting used to. The CLR is noticeably better off-axis than the DLM12s were. But, I had less than the price of a single CLR into a pair of DLM12s and all things considered, still kinda wish those DLMs didn't have any issues because stereo is much better than mono - no matter what you are using. Buying another CLR for stereo is more than I am willing to spend, honestly I prefer IEMs, especially if I have to sing. Not sure what to do at this point!

As an aside: My JTV acoustic models still sounded like total crap through the CLR so I downgraded to the FW before they did the "upgrade" and they are sooo much better again. No comparison, not sure what Line 6 is thinking with that. So if anything, the CLR gave me a usable JTV again!

Last edited:
Im in line for a CLR and pretty excited about it...but since FW10 I am having zero complaints about my QSC K12...maybe the magic moment I was looking for was just what I got when I plugged in FW10 !

Scott, how are the CLRs holding up after all those gigs? Not trying to rain on the CLR parade, but... I noted during my comparison that the CLR wedge "dents" very easily.

Fitted bag from Studio slips. No problems now. Holding up 100 percent.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

My first impression was very positive. Very neutral/natural. Too bad my job has me about three months away from having time to find a new band.

Mine arrived today,comparing it side by side to the rcf 12, the clr has nothing that gets in the way of the sound. The rcf seemed to have frequencies at the top end and the low end that always bothered me a bit. Even when it sounded good and I do mean it does sound good, there were always those bothersome frequencies that I was aware of. With the clr, there's nothing that gets in the way. Best way to describe it is that for the first time I found myself with complete focus on my playing and enjoying the unobstructed joy of just a creative effort on the guitar. Great job Tom and Jay on creating a great tool. Anyone want to buy a rcf12ma?

Back
Top Bottom