CLR at lower volume - advice needed

All,

Since last post I have updated my Axe FX II Mark I to the latest Firmware and uploaded the latest factory presets.

At the suggestion of Rex and randolfo (and others) I tried increasing the volume of my CLR so that I would not have to keep my Axe so low. The problem still persisted. I tried it on 4 different patches (65 Bassguy, Deluxe Verb, Super Verb, Nuclear Tone) and the results were all very similar. Each had a very unpleasant breakup that trailed off when I played the following chord on my Stratocaster Plus

At this point, I wanted to confirm that it wasn't the CLR and that it might just be how the patches are supposed to sound. So, I started a Garageband project to record each preset using an XLR into my PreSonus interface. In this recording, I play the same chord three times for each preset - the results were very revealing. Through my Equator D5's, it seems that this is just how some of these patches are supposed to sound. Here is the recording:

If you feel I have added to many variables to correctly test this hypothesis, please post a suggestion! I used what I had to try and remove as much bias as possible.

However, I would ask you to listen and tell me if something is up. If these recordings aren't comparable to what you experience with your Axe FX, perhaps, I need to have mine looked at. Whatever the case, I am still a satisfied customer and will continue to use FAS for my guitar rig. While I have put off having my equipment looked at, perhaps I need to make the big boy upgrade to the XL.

That's a pretty dissonant chord. Distortion is generally unkind to dissonant chords. That's one of the reasons most jazz guitarists play clean. Try the same chord on any amp running at the same gain, and you'll hear the same thing.

In a fairly dense mix, that kind of crunch might actually add clarity, and not be nearly as objectionable as it is when soloed.

Bottom line: if you don't like that flavor of crunch, clean up the amp. Switching to an XL won't make a difference.

piofusco,

Thx for the detailed followup. I'll try to do a comparison and report back. AXEFX II Mk1, Mk2 and XL models all sound the same. Only differences are a few hardware things like connectors and more storage on the XL, iirc, so going to XL won't change anything. The XL also has a lower noise floor on the input, but I haven't noticed a difference between Mk1 and XL. although I haven't spent much time with the XL yet.

In a fairly dense mix, that kind of crunch might actually add clarity, and not be nearly as objectionable as it is when soloed.
Bottom line: if you don't like that flavor of crunch, clean up the amp. Switching to an XL won't make a difference.

NAMM was this weekend - GAS kicked in as a "solution" to my problem. I will fight the urges. No, I don't need more gear. Must. Not. Want. Still want.

However, I would ask you to listen and tell me if something is up. If these recordings aren't comparable to what you experience with your Axe FX, perhaps, I need to have mine looked at. Whatever the case, I am still a satisfied customer and will continue to use FAS for my guitar rig. While I have put off having my equipment looked at, perhaps I need to make the big boy upgrade to the XL.

First, if you have active electronics (ie, EMG 81 pickups), make sure your battery isn't near dead.

Then,

#1. on the front panel of the Axe FX II, go to the I/O menu and set up your input 1 for your guitar so you are just tickling the red LEDs when you strum your hardest.
#2. don't use factory presets, start with a cleared preset. Just add a looper 1st in the grid, parallel to your main line, set it to mono and set it to 100% mix and 100% dub, then add a amp and cab block, and default them both.
#3. don't worry if the defaults is distorted. you can adjust the drive and/or input trim until it gets clean in a sec.
#4. record a short clean passage, such as your dissonant chord, and let it play.
#5. then select an amp you know is clean, and a factory cab you know as well. adjust the gain and or input trim until it's as clean as you want.
#6. again on the front panel of the Axe FX II, press the utility button and change to the VU meter page. Adjust the level until it is about 0.

The reason I put the looper in parallel is so that I can run it @ 100% and not need to adjust it every time to hear me playing and then have it equal in level when tweaking. This setup isn't meant for performance, only for tweaking.

With this setup, I then run output 1 to a pair of CLR's. I run output 1 knob at 50%, my CLR's @ 50% master and 50% channel and that's my stage volume using the CLR's as monitors.

Back
Top Bottom