CLR as a Monitor, with In-Ears?

fox5150

Inspired
Okay, so I know the title doesn't make a lot of sense off the bat, but bear with me.

I was driving home from my (hopefully) last gig with my "traditional" rig and was pondering how I could use the CLR on stage. We're in the process of transitioning across to In-Ear Monitors and, if I'm honest, I'm still not completely sold on it. We're also ditching traditional monitors on the stage as well, so sound spread on stage is rubbish when I take my IEMs out.

The main PA will be doing the heavy lifting, so the CLR is only required for my personal monitoring. So this is what I was wondering if was possible...

- Run Out1 to the PA
- Run Out2 to the CLR, Input 1
- Run my monitor feed to Input 2 on the CLR
- Set the "Link Select" on the CLR to "2"
- Connect "Link" on the CLR to my IEM transmitter

The idea being that if I'm not enjoying the In-Ears, I can take them out, turn up the level on Input 2 on the CLR and use the CLR as a traditional monitor.

There may be some weirdness from having a monitor mix, including guitar, and an output from the Axe-FX going into the CLR, but I can just turn off Output 2 if necessary.

Does anyone know if this will work?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have a Shure P4M rack mixer which I can mix my Vox and AxeII into IEM or/and my Matrix CFR monitor. I can get a blend to where it sounds right to me. My vox sound fantastic coming through the CFR FWIW.

You can absolutely do what you describe - no problem.

An added bonus of having the CLR in front of you is that you can get the visceral feel of sound pressure against your body but more important, if you have the CLR in front of you you'll get some sympathetic vibration going in your strings, meaning you'll get a touch more sustain and easier feedback.

Back
Top Bottom