CLR and Reverb

pjrake

Inspired
I've never used reverb live when I ran my tube amps (and 412 cabs) since the venue always created that "reverb" sound. Since switching to the AXE FX I still tweaked my tones very dry, relying on the soundguy's mix in my monitors (same feed).

However, now that I'm using a CLR for my stage monitors only (using OUTPUT 1 to the CLR; no cabs; OUTPUT 2 to FOH), my questions is should I add a bit of reverb to create some spacing? Since I have different OUTPUTS, I can add a reverb block to the CLR without affecting the FOH.

So, you think I should go this route, or just keep everything dry, including my monitors?

For me its completely personal preference.

It varies preset to preset for me how much verb I like in the monitors.

For some big leads and ambient types of presets, I've got a ton.

For bread and butter cleans, a tad etc.

I have reverb, but I control the level of it per preset on the fly with an expression pedal. To me, sometimes you want it, sometimes you don't. It's never, for me, a yes/no issue. It's a gray issue; and I do that interactively and intuitively on the fly and in the moment with an expression pedal on a 'as much or little as needed' or 'not needed' basis.

I've found it will certainly fatten up your leads but it can also 'blur' the sound when playing rhythm in alive setting.

Cheers, Mike

I tad of room reverb in the cab block could give your a more alive sound.

If the reverb is subtle it will make the guitar sound more pleasant without blurring it.

I tad of room reverb in the cab block could give your a more alive sound.

If the reverb is subtle it will make the guitar sound more pleasant without blurring it.

Since I'm not am expert in reverb, would you give some suggestions possible settings? Thanks.

Insert a cab block with your favorite IR (or IR's) and copy the X settings to Y.

On X, start with the room size halfway and increase the room level until you will hear the reverb.

Then back it off a little.

Now, if you do some X/Y switching, you will hear the difference.

If you want to use the reverb as an effects then the reverb block is the only way to go. You can use the rev block to create a room though.

I can add a reverb block to the CLR without affecting the FOH.

So, you think I should go this route, or just keep everything dry, including my monitors?

Yes you can just setup your signal chain so the effect block is after the cab block in a different row then add the reverb block after that. As to going this route it is always subjective. You really need to try it to see if it's what you like. I personally don't use a lot verb in my presets unless it's specific to the tone.

I use in-ears live and I have a bit of reverb on each patch to give it some "room". Things are very dry using in-ears. What I find interesting however, is that when switch to the "Y" version, which is much wetter and more intense, I cannot hear a difference in the mix. If I make the same change when I play standalone the Y version is clearly more intense.

Perhaps my "Y" reverb could be better dialed in to cut through the mix. It would be interesting to hear if the OP, or others, experience the same.

Terry.

I use in-ears live and I have a bit of reverb on each patch to give it some "room". Things are very dry using in-ears. What I find interesting however, is that when switch to the "Y" version, which is much wetter and more intense, I cannot hear a difference in the mix. If I make the same change when I play standalone the Y version is clearly more intense.

Perhaps my "Y" reverb could be better dialed in to cut through the mix. It would be interesting to hear if the OP, or others, experience the same.

Terry.

If I set my wet efx loud enough to hear in a wedge mix, they are WAY to hot for my ears mix.

Terry.

Was using in-ears but had to switch because the rest of the band was not ready to make the switch.

While on in-ears, I had a reverb block and messed with the room size and level. Had it set nicely, but only had vocals and drums in my mix; no bass or second guitars so it was difficult to get a full band sound.

Maybe in the future things will change :)

If I set my wet efx loud enough to hear in a wedge mix, they are WAY to hot for my ears mix.

I was actually talking about finding it difficult to hear the added reverb in the mix I hear in my in-ears, which means that absolutely no one out there will be picking it up! ;)

Terry.

My reverb depends on dynamics of song and size of room. IF the guitar is the focus/showcase (ex. Pink Floyd - Van Halen - aint talking bout love)----tons of reverb/delay/flange.
When its all guitars out and loud in a large room (play large rooms constantly) No reverb needed.

Back
Top Bottom