CLR Active Cab noise: Is it normal?

For what it's worth, I have the master at half way when playing with the whole band, with the usual needlessly loud drummer. Around 110db SPL on slow A. I have never needed it louder. There's no way I'd need a tenth of that power at home.

where is your CLR master volume set?

It's at maximum on the video clip. The noise will go lower, when i set the master volume half away. But it is still there. Like said, I was wondering if it's something to worry about or if it's normal. Thanks to all for your input.

Mine hisses a bit. Master usually well below half way in my jam room. Not a big deal, but noticeable in a quiet room. At band volume, it's a non-issue.

Mine hisses a bit. Master usually well below half way in my jam room. Not a big deal, but noticeable in a quiet room. At band volume, it's a non-issue.

Same for me.. exactly. Very slight hiss that's subtly noticeable when playing low (bedroom) volume. Stress the word "subtle"..

Had to try out the new FW (arm and shoulder be damned!). Turned up the CLR master just a tad, and the hiss was not noticeably louder. I really didn't notice it much at all today, actually.

New FW sounds great.

What if you unplug the input wire? Does the noise go away?

Nope. Not on mine. Seems to be self noise from the amp circuit. Very subtle, fairly normal for a high volume powered speaker IMHO. Active CLRs are aimed mostly at high volume use anyway. If you need low volume and zero noise, buy studio monitors.

I run the Axe-FX at noon on the output.

I run the input of the CLR at 75% or 3 o'clock.

I set the output volume level to match my need. Rarely do I get above noon (12 o'clock) on that output - in only the loudest outdoor settings.

There's no noise, hiss, or buzz.

Spent the evening playing through my CLRs at volume - yes, there's hiss with the settings I mentioned in my earlier post in this thread (CLR master at noon, input at 2 o'clock, Axe output around 11 o'clock). Not excessive by any means and really only noticeable within a couple of feet of the drivers. Fine for a live environment, but probably still a little irritating in a home/recording environment. Seems normal to me, FWIW.

The amp in the CLR is the last level of amplification in the chain. Whatever noise is in the signal at this point will get cranked, including and cable noise, interference, etc. and if the Master is cranked, so will all the noise. I use two for stereo live monitoring.

I tend to leave the output on the Axe at 12 o'clock, bring up the channel volume on the CLR to 2 o'clock (roughly) and then I crank the Master. There is a little noise, but it is not prohibitive and is less than my previous FRFR which was an EV 112 and is less than my studio nearfield power amp at this volume.

Back
Top Bottom