CloudBurgzt - Brett's Strymon Cloudburst

mchad

This is Brett Kingman's Cloudburgzt preset for FM9. A Strymon Cloudburst for those that don't have one.

Brett asked me to open it on my FM9 (FW 4.0) to check compatibility. Sounded awesome to me so he asked me to upload here. Brett unable to test CloudBurgzt on his own FM9 as it is in the band lock up ready for the next tour.

Enjoy.

See https://youtu.be/R7X13-ApOoQ

Attachments

• p010140_CloudBurgzt.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 123
This is Brett Kingman's Cloudburgzt preset for FM9. A Strymon Cloudburst for those that don't have one.

Brett asked me to open it on my FM9 (FW 4.0) to check compatibility. Sounded awesome to me so he asked me to upload here. Brett unable to test CloudBurgzt on his own FM9 as it is in the band lock up ready for the next tour.

Enjoy.

See https://youtu.be/R7X13-ApOoQ
lol a Cloudburgszt Brilliant 😂

Thanks Burgs. This is a great preset, that nails the Strymon setting that everyone wants, including their new pedal release. Fractal has great ambient presets.

Thanks, Michael!

I'm digging out the FM9 today and will post an update if I think it needs one. Cheers.
Nice preset!

I compared the FX3 version when pulled into the FM9, and the PlexDly 2 block gets dropped because it's not available on the FM9. Looking at the use of the PlexDly blocks in Scene Manager on the FX3 shows that PlexDly 2 is used in two scenes, 5 and 8:

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 11.23.46 AM.png

Of those, channel A on PlexDly 2 can be copied to channel A in PlexDly 1 and the block enabled for scene 5 (I didn't test for possible glitches during a scene change), and then PlexDly 2 could be removed. But, scene 8 is the kicker, since they're both in use.

Could the Diffused or Ambient Stereo delays be coerced into acting as a substitute for PlexDly 2 for scene 8?

Some time later…

I got some time to dig into this.

Here's the original, unaffected section on the FX3 followed by the FM9's version after Edit imports it…
Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 5.13.17 PM.png Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 5.13.04 PM.png
Obviously, it dropped the block, which is the expected behavior, except that it affects the sound. (Ignore the fact that the FM9 version is not an activated block.)

The problem is that the FM9 doesn't have a second PlexDly block and stripped it, so then we have to find another block that will substitute, such as a Delay block. The PlexDly uses diffusion, so I started looking at Delay blocks that'd do the same, and landed on the Ambient Stereo block. Copying over what looked to be useful settings I came up with the attached preset, which, after comparing it to the FX3 version, sounds really close.

@Burgs when you get a chance, please confirm or deny that the adjustments still match your original goal. I think yours is a great preset and I think this is a faithful reproduction.

@Burgs Updated the preset to fix a minor routing error.

PS - I updated the .syx with an export directly from the FM9 running v4.01b2 to confirm the firmware version number, loaded it back into the FM9 and it imported correctly.
PPS - I tried to convert it to run on the FM3, but ran into a problem with the dual Reverb blocks. The FM3 has only one, and there are scenes requiring both. One could be removed but the sound will not be the same. Maybe I'll dig into trying to find a work around if I get some time.

Attachments

• CloudBurgzt FM9.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Nice preset!

I compared the FX3 version when pulled into the FM9, and the PlexDly 2 block gets dropped because it's not available on the FM9. Looking at the use of the PlexDly blocks in Scene Manager on the FX3 shows that PlexDly 2 is used in two scenes, 5 and 8:

View attachment 117573

Of those, channel A on PlexDly 2 can be copied to channel A in PlexDly 1 and the block enabled for scene 5 (I didn't test for possible glitches during a scene change), and then PlexDly 2 could be removed. But, scene 8 is the kicker, since they're both in use.

Could the Diffused or Ambient Stereo delays be coerced into acting as a substitute for PlexDly 2 for scene 8?

Some time later…

I got some time to dig into this and, a port directly from the FX3 to the FM9 drops the PlexDly 2 block, which is essential, causing a major change in the sound.

Here's the original, unaffected section on the FX3 followed by the FM9's version after Edit imports it…
View attachment 117600 View attachment 117601
Obviously, it dropped the block, which is the expected behavior, except that it affects the sound. (Ignore the fact that the FM9 version is not an activated block.)

The problem is that the FM9 doesn't have a second PlexDly block and stripped it, so then we have to find another block that will substitute, such as a Delay block. The PlexDly uses diffusion, so I started looking at Delay blocks that'd do the same, and landed on the Ambient Stereo block. Copying over what looked to be useful settings I came up with the attached preset, which, after comparing it to the FX3 version, sounds really close.

@Burgs when you get a chance, please confirm or deny that the adjustments still match your original goal. I think yours is a great preset and I think this is a faithful reproduction.
Just got in from the road, Greg, but will have a look at this tomorrow. Hope everyone's having a great weekend!

@Greg Ferguson I tried to import your version of the preset, but it loaded empty. Nothing in the preset translator logs and I'm not sure how to debug it more. I was, however, able to import @Burgs version (sounds great, thanks for sharing!).

@Greg Ferguson I tried to import your version of the preset, but it loaded empty. Nothing in the preset translator logs and I'm not sure how to debug it more.
It sounds like a firmware version difference. Currently, all my units are running unreleased beta versions so I'll have to revert to something y'all have access to. Give me a day or two and I'll post an update.

I was, however, able to import @Burgs version (sounds great, thanks for sharing!).

That won't sound the same as the FX3 version, it will have too much direct/dry signal. As I mentioned above…

Looking further, my FM9 is running v4.01b2 so confirm you're on that version. I'm about to update the version in the post above to an export directly from the FM9.

To check the firmware version, on the front panel press Home > Setup, scroll down to Utilities then Page >> to Version. You can't check using *Edit because that full information isn't passed to the editor.

Last edited:
It sounds like a firmware version difference. Currently, all my units are running unreleased beta versions so I'll have to revert to something y'all have access to. Give me a day or two and I'll post an update.

That won't sound the same as the FX3 version, it will have too much direct/dry signal. As I mentioned above…

Looking further, my FM9 is running v4.01b2 so confirm you're on that version. I'm about to update the version in the post above to an export directly from the FM9.

To check the firmware version, on the front panel press Home > Setup, scroll down to Utilities then Page >> to Version. You can't check using *Edit because that full information isn't passed to the editor.
Yeah I’m on 4.0, so it makes sense that it wouldn’t load for me.

Apologies, guys. I'm moving house at the moment (BIG job) and am currently dealing with around 400kg of amps and other crap (which I will sell because Axe-FX III) so I'm out of action for a few days at least.
I'd so be there to help you throw old sh*t into the garbage bin… but, I'm here and you probably don't want me there because I'd throw everything into the bin. :)

Last edited:
Apologies, guys. I'm moving house at the moment (BIG job) and am currently dealing with around 400kg of amps and other crap (which I will sell because Axe-FX III) so I'm out of action for a few days at least.

I'm on the same boat right now and unfortunately it's not tons of amps to lug around but real crap (although my wife would never admit 🙄).

Thanks For Sharing, Love the cloudburst. Didnt feel the need to buy anything with the fm9 effect wise but bought one to go with my QC board since the effects are not up to the level of fractal.

to confirm what we expected - it was the firmware. I was able to import it after updating to 4.02b2

Back
Top Bottom