Closest to ADA MP1?

Half of the vibe of an ADA-MP1 is the power amp you connect it to. For me, the Mosvalve was the essential companion. That plus two ADA 2x12 slant "half stack" cabs was a great rig for its time.
+1. Had some good times with my MosValve.

Hmmm, I didn't really like my MosValve, filtered solid-state, and I much preferred my Mesa and modified Kenwood stereo tube power amps back in the day, though the MosValve was much lighter so it got a lot of use when weight was an issue traveling.

Last edited:
Half of the vibe of an ADA-MP1 is the power amp you connect it to. For me, the Mosvalve was the essential companion. That plus two ADA 2x12 slant "half stack" cabs was a great rig for its time.
While I never had the ADA-MP1, I did have the MosValve and the two ADA 2x2 slanted cabs. The MosValve died on me too soon but I wish I'd NEVER sold those two ADA 2x12 cabs.

A Jmp is a solid state-run hybrid but there is more tubes involved in the overdrive staging than let's sat another hybrid like the JCM900 which is primarily solid state in its preamp. The JMP-1 is very warm and tube-ish and is closer to a solid state sound than an a JVM. But its a lot closer to the sound of a JVM than it is to something like a Randall Century.
Another way to describe a JMP-1 is basically a rack mount Marshall Valvestate preamp with a post graphic EQ, and digital pots instead of knobs. No kidding. Just check the schematics.

FWIW, I used to run my MP1 into a QSC 300W solid state amp driving a pair of ADA split cabs back in the 80s and had one of the best tones I ever remember having. I was pretty naive to all this back then but in hindsight I'm surprised that this tone was so good in the absence of any kind of nice power amp mojo.

I should also mention that I ran a Digitech DSP 128+ between the MP1 and the QSC, which may have added some flavor of its own (I know adding delay typically did). I controlled all of it with an ADA MC-1. I still have the MP1, the DSP 128+, and MC1, but do regret getting rid of my split cabs.

Last edited:
Another way to describe a JMP-1 is basically a rack mount Marshall Valvestate preamp with a post graphic EQ, and digital pots instead of knobs. No kidding. Just check the schematics.
Yup! It's a hybrid design as well, so it's not "true valve". Correct me if I'm wrong... but it's essentially diode clipping then the signal is pumped through a tube to give it some "tube" elements? I still have my JMP-1 and foot pedal, I use it with a Palmer Macht 402.

Yup! It's a hybrid design as well, so it's not "true valve". Correct me if I'm wrong... but it's essentially diode clipping then the signal is pumped through a tube to give it some "tube" elements? I still have my JMP-1 and foot pedal, I use it with a Palmer Macht 402.
Yes, that's mostly it. There are more tube gain stages in the clean side than the overdrive side. But it sounds pretty good, I actually liked it better than the ADA MP-1 I had before it. I thought it did a Marshall better than the MP-1.

I still have the JMP-1 and plan to sell it as soon as I get its wonky encoder replaced. IMHO it is way outdated in tone and features, and the onboard speaker emulation (while good in its day) is far inferior to a good IR.

Hmmm, I didn't really like my MosValve, filtered solid-state, and I much preferred my Mesa and modified Kenwood stereo tube power amps back in the day, though the MosValve was much lighter so it got a lot of use when weight was an issue traveling.
+1. Ideally an ADA model would use a model of the ADA T100 power amp!

The MosValve was a great power amp for that time. One of the first solid state amps to get a somewhat tube-y sound. Those ADA cabs were good, too. IIRC, Dr. Bonkers has that cab in an IR pack....

Very strange. It simply does not sound like a valvestate preamp at all.

Very strange. It simply does not sound like a valvestate preamp at all.
JMP-1 OD's 1+2 are a solid state amp with one tube to warm it up by adding compression and even harmonics (one Gain Stage DC Coupled to a Cathode Follower), with an Active EQ controlled via the front panel.

The Clean 1+2 have one tube with Two Gain Stages, however there's a Fixed Passive Tonestack between the two Gain Stages (so it's drive and makeup gain for the lossy Passive Tonestack), followed by the Active EQ controlled by the front panel.

That's it, it's in no way a traditional Marshall tube preamp, and neither is it a Valvestate, it's unique.

JMP-1 OD's 1+2 are a solid state amp with one tube to warm it up by adding compression and even harmonics (one Gain Stage DC Coupled to a Cathode Follower), with an Active EQ controlled via the front panel.

The Clean 1+2 have one tube with Two Gain Stages, however there's a Fixed Passive Tonestack between the two Gain Stages (so it's drive and makeup gain for the lossy Passive Tonestack), followed by the Active EQ controlled by the front panel.

That's it, it's in no way a traditional Marshall tube preamp, and neither is it a Valvestate, it's unique.
I actually agree with you it sounds Valvestate-ish but with a little more articulation. The main thing that sucks is the inability to roll back the volume and have the JMP-1 clean up. The MP-1 could no problem. It's frustrating as it does the blues rock thing well.

I used my JMP-1 output send straight into my AxeFX2 where I load up cab IRs and add some power amp sag etc. It really comes alive in this context! I run a looper into the JMP-1, then play a riff, and tweak settings as the riff loops.

On second thought I guess it does sound a bit valvestate-ish. It's a great sound.

I wonder if the fractal model of it is accurate.

Really shines a light on chasing all those "tube" tones from guys using them in the 90's...

"Solid-state to me is more in your face, while tube sounds like it’s surrounding your body, I’m not going for a soft sound. I ain’t lookin’ for a warm sound. My sound is warm, but I don’t need tubes to do it. The Randall RG-100 is the best amp for what I do. To this day, when people find out that I use solid-state they’ll come up to me and go, ‘Are you sure? That sounds like tubes, dude…’ The Randall has the warmth of tubes, but it has the chunk and the fuckin’ grind right in your face!”

This modeler needs whey more solid state-based amps in it that's for sure.

The Jmp-1 model sounds a bit solid-state-ish. So does the PRS Archon. Although tubes are involved in both.

But I don't understand why people thing tubes necessary when they are not and I don't understand why Fractal is so gung-ho about tubes only. They are so overrated. They do absolutely nothin special at all. Look at all the tones Dime was able to get with solid state. Although he was just too scooped. That's the only part of his tone I wasn't into but it was still a very unique tone and it was warm and articulate.

• Haha
Reactions: yek
"Solid-state to me is more in your face, while tube sounds like it’s surrounding your body, I’m not going for a soft sound. I ain’t lookin’ for a warm sound. My sound is warm, but I don’t need tubes to do it. The Randall RG-100 is the best amp for what I do. To this day, when people find out that I use solid-state they’ll come up to me and go, ‘Are you sure? That sounds like tubes, dude…’ The Randall has the warmth of tubes, but it has the chunk and the fuckin’ grind right in your face!”

This modeler needs whey more solid state-based amps in it that's for sure.

The Jmp-1 model sounds a bit solid-state-ish. So does the PRS Archon. Although tubes are involved in both.

But I don't understand why people thing tubes necessary when they are not and I don't understand why Fractal is so gung-ho about tubes only. They are so overrated. They do absolutely nothin special at all. Look at all the tones Dime was able to get with solid state. Although he was just too scooped. That's the only part of his tone I wasn't into but it was still a very unique tone and it was warm and articulate.

Well...I'm not going to poop on all the fantastic tube amps out there, but I somewhat agree with your sentiment. Really, whatever sounds good is good. Regarding Dimebag/Pantera...I've read so many today suggest his tones aren't that great but I remember when Cowboys From Hell came out and it really blew every metalhead's mind, there was really nothing like it and so many local bands tried to copy them back then. IMHO those Pantera albums still hold up very well.

Well...I'm not going to poop on all the fantastic tube amps out there, but I somewhat agree with your sentiment. Really, whatever sounds good is good. Regarding Dimebag/Pantera...I've read so many today suggest his tones aren't that great but I remember when Cowboys From Hell came out and it really blew every metalhead's mind, there was really nothing like it and so many local bands tried to copy them back then. IMHO those Pantera albums still hold up very well.
Far Beyond Driven - I'm Broken.
Any metal head who doesn't think that tone is crushing, isn't a metal head.

I have a RG rack preamp in my basement :)

I also have a JMP-1, which through my Marshall 100/100 tube power amp, sounds absolutely glorious. I've not met anyone yet who does not think the tone from that combination is anything but spectacular.

It was a very unique tone as was the tone on all Pantera records. The problem people had with it came from the fact that it's production was too scooped.
When listening to those first post-glam era albums with mids boosted back in wit EQ its very ideal tone.
On the FBD and previous albums, it is just so much cutting of mids, after his double notch trick, there was an additional large curve cutting of mids as well. I never understood what it was up with all that scooping.
The final 2 albums Treadmill and Reinventing were not as scooped as the other ones and really bring out better tones that are still that flavor.

Back
Top Bottom