Closest Fender Pro Sonic

stm113

Power User
Hi wizards, I am doing a demo for a friend who has sent me DI tracks for re-amping. When I asked about the guitar tone he'd like he said he LOVES the sound of his Fender Pro Sonic and would like for me to get him as close to that as possible. I am not familiar with that amp aside from its a High Gain or semi- High Gain Fender, does anyone have a suggestion of something we have already that could get me close?

Thanks all!

I have a ProSonic, and IMO, it has serious Recto vibes, but less scooped/fizzy/boomy. I would start with any of the Recto models or maybe even the Modern models.

Could your buddy send you a snippet for us to consider? May even be able to Tone Match it.

Thank you, I had heard that somewhere too now that you mention it.

Unfortunately, living in an apartment it's hard for him to send me anything. I think I'll start with a Recto and try to dial our the boom and the fizz and use maybe an openback 2x12 IR. If he doesn't like it and all else.fails I think I'll have him bring the amp by and ill run a DI off the amp and use that to tweak til I get them close.

Thank you, I had heard that somewhere too now that you mention it.

Unfortunately, living in an apartment it's hard for him to send me anything. I think I'll start with a Recto and try to dial our the boom and the fizz and use maybe an openback 2x12 IR. If he doesn't like it and all else.fails I think I'll have him bring the amp by and ill run a DI off the amp and use that to tweak til I get them close.
Give me until this evening. I’ll grab a recording through a load box + IR and share it. You can run it by your buddy as a check then we can use that as a reference for dialing or Tone Matching.

The Pro Sonic. was a Custom shop designed by Bruce Zinky , he did that and the Tone Master , both had a very modern New Hi gain channel
The Tone master is very similar to the Mesa triple Crown , the Pro sonic is close to a Soldano but still in the same family as the Tone master
I would look at the Crown and SLO , Maybe play with swapping tone stacks in the SLO

check this thread Fender Tonemaster (1990s Fender Custom Shop)

here is the tone master similar design and way hi gain for a Fender

Pro Sonic was a cool amp. Had some similarities to the Dual Recto with the switchable tube and solid state rectifiers, post gain tone stack, and no negative feedback in the power amp. Preamp section was a bit different though with the cascading gain controls and no cathode follower stage. Definitely not the Blackface style circuit that its appearance might suggest.

I own a Fender SuperSonic Twin and that thing has oodles of gain! It also has two gain knobs ala Boogie. I wonder how that design compares to this Pro Sonic.

Forgive the sloppy playing and generic riffs. I just wanted to get something down for you. There are two takes: one boosted with a Duality DX Green (Tubescreamer) and one completely unboosted. Same settings for both takes. I used Legacy cabs 103 and 131 for repeatability.

Linky

Forgive the sloppy playing and generic riffs. I just wanted to get something down for you. There are two takes: one boosted with a Duality DX Green (Tubescreamer) and one completely unboosted. Same settings for both takes. I used Legacy cabs 103 and 131 for repeatability.

Linky
Dude thank you so much!!!!

After listening to that I messed with a combination of the Triple Crown and SLO and I got what I think is a cool tone for the track…. Whether or not he likes it I’ll have to see. Once we get it dialed in tho I am definitely gonna post a preset.

Ok so back to the drawing board. He sent me a clip on one of his songs he recorded with the SUPER SONIC, not the PRO SONIC, I mst have heard the wrong Sonic? Any advise on getting close to this?

Ok so back to the drawing board. He sent me a clip on one of his songs he recorded with the SUPER SONIC, not the PRO SONIC, I mst have heard the wrong Sonic? Any advise on getting close to this?

I have no experience with the SuperSonic, sorry. However, I have to imagine you’re on the right track with the Crown and SLO. I’m sure others will chime in with their ideas.

Thats very crunchy not really hi gain , Don't laugh almost sounds like a 38 special kind of thing,
I would say maybe an Slo Crunch channel , or Peavey 6505 Crunch , or Triple Crown 2 maybe
for the lead I would use an OD like a Maxon

or do what M said have a couple of tones you think fits the track and style and do some Reamping till he is happy

Thats very crunchy not really hi gain , Don't laugh almost sounds like a 38 special kind of thing,
I would say maybe an Slo Crunch channel , or Peavey 6505 Crunch , or Triple Crown 2 maybe
for the lead I would use an OD like a Maxon

or do what M said have a couple of tones you think fits the track and style and do some Reamping till he is happy
Peavey Crunch channel is underrated. I almost prefer it to the lead channel for most applications. A great recommendation.

Back
Top Bottom