Cloning the Eventide H9 and beyond. Chapter 1: Crystals Algorithm

Got it!! This one was easy :cool:

I've found this AX8 block - Gracias @simeon!! - and I've converted it to Axe-FX III with FracTool - Gracias @AlGrenadine -

That PlexDelay block is very similar to the "BlackHole" factory preset. It differs because it has more depth. The Axe-FX has individual pan control for each individual delay, and that allows more refined adjustments

I attach the converted block

edit:
Add a LFO modifier to the Modulation Depth (under Mod+Dyn page). Adjust the LFO parameters to taste, and prepare yourself to be transported through the black hole into another dimension

Unable to open the '.blk' file .... is there a way to convert to a '.syx' file or am I missing something?
Thanks in advance.

You just drag/drop a .blk file into a block in Axe-edit! it's not a full preset syx, but a "block" for just that effect.

Open a preset and drag it to the grid...you will see.
Was not hip to the dragon droppings part of this. I knew the import block bit via the menu, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised this works, too.

really appreciated the H9 presets. I then happened to turn off all the time based stuff and found the base clean tone was totally fat with that tape distortion and compression out front. Super super fun on Gibson with PAF style buckers. Thanks for the cool stuff. It’s amazing I keep searching this forum and finding more and more.

really appreciated the H9 presets. I then happened to turn off all the time based stuff and found the base clean tone was totally fat with that tape distortion and compression out front. Super super fun on Gibson with PAF style buckers. Thanks for the cool stuff. It’s amazing I keep searching this forum and finding more and more.

I use that tape and comp in almost all my presets.

I don't remember who posted that originally, long time ago, for the Axe-FX II or the Axe-FX Ultra. It is an emulator of a classic Channel Strip, I also forgot which one 😅

View attachment 62604

The structure of the H9 user interface is simple. It consists of Algorithms and Presets. An algorithm is a block that contains few combined effects e.g.: delay and modulator or Compressor and Equalizer. The algorithms are divided in 5 categories: TimeFactor, ModFactor, PitchFactor, Space and H9. A preset is where you store the settings of the algorithm. A preset can only contain one single algorithm.

Therefore, if we want to emulate one H9 preset/algorithm at the Axe-FX we will need two or three blocks. With the advantage that at the Axe-FX we can combine them freely and expand them beyond the capabilities of a single H9 preset/algorithm.

This is how the "Crystals" Algorithm (from the PicthFactor category) looks at the H9 Editor. The settings correspond to the "Classic Crystals" preset:
View attachment 62596

To clone that into the Axe-FX we need two blocks: Pitch (Crystal Echoes) with the Mix 100% wet, and a Reverb in series with the pitch. Both running in parallel with the dry signal.
View attachment 62597
(The Out2 and In 4 blocks are for connecting the external Eventide H9 Max and make A/B comparisons)

This is the Pitch block parameter correspondence between the H9 and the Axe-FX:

• PITCH MIX A+B = Level 1 & Level 2
  • PITCH A = Shift 1 + Detune 1
  • PITCH B = Shift 2 + Detune 2
  • REV DELAY A = Splice 1
  • REV DELAY B = Splice 2
  • FEEDBACK A = Feedback 1
  • FEEDBACK B = Feedback 2
The Axe-FX Crystal Echoes pitch block has extra parameters: independent Panning Control for the two voices (at the H9 the pan is fixed), Crossfade Control and Direction.

When copying the H9 Pitch parameters at the Axe-FX, without the reverb, both the H9 and the Axe-FX sound identical

But when adding the Reverb at the Axe-FX, it surpasses the H9. The H9 has good reverb algorithms, but the reverb that they include as a secondary effect in other algorithms is quite normal, due to the limited CPU power. Select the Ice Castle or any other HQ reverb at the Axe-FX, and the H9 is eclipsed by the Fractal Sun.

I attach a preset with four scenes that correspond to the following H9 factory presets:

1. Classic Crystals
  2. Seagulls
  3. Voice on Ice
  4. Reverse Detune
If you want to further explore other H9 Factory or User Presets you can install the H9 Control software, open it offline (the Factory Presets are included with the software) and translate the parameters.

Thank you very much! It is really hard to make a really good effect setting. I am grateful that pol who know “how to”. Share this awesomeness.

I've sold my H9 because the quality of the effects is eclipsed by the Axe-FX III. But it is easy to clone the presets if you install the H9 Editor. Just open the presets offline and translate the parameters
The only effect I really haven't been able to get satisfactory on my Axe is the blackhole reverb. Any ideas on recreating that one? I think the specific preset I was after was called fish verb. It was pretty extreme like the sound was being sucked in to a black hole. The other would be reverse reverb, but I don't think that'd be possible without an actual algorithm for it.

I recall that one of the admins stated that there is always a lot of expanding going on on the H9. How can we duplicate that?

Last edited:
I recall that one of the admins stated that there is always a lot of expanding going on on the H9. How can we duplicate that?

I haven't heard about that.

The Axe-FX has a Gate/Expander block that you can use

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom