Clock Source

Legion

I've got my Axe 2 running into my Saffire Pro 40 via SPDIF. If I set the clock source on the Saffire to internal while using the Axe 2 I get this weird high frequency overtone, kinda sounds like a ring modulator. If I set the clock source to external SPDIF everything is fine. Only thing is when I'm not using the Axe 2, if I don't set the clock source back to internal I get no sound. Admittedly, it's not a huge deal to go into the Saffire mix control and set the clock source back to internal, but if someone knows of a way to have the Saffire clock source on internal and still have the Axe 2 sound good, it'd be cool. One less thing to flip back and forth.

I've got my Axe 2 running into my Saffire Pro 40 via SPDIF. If I set the clock source on the Saffire to internal while using the Axe 2 I get this weird high frequency overtone, kinda sounds like a ring modulator. If I set the clock source to external SPDIF everything is fine. Only thing is when I'm not using the Axe 2, if I don't set the clock source back to internal I get no sound. Admittedly, it's not a huge deal to go into the Saffire mix control and set the clock source back to internal, but if someone knows of a way to have the Saffire clock source on internal and still have the Axe 2 sound good, it'd be cool. One less thing to flip back and forth.

You can't use internal. You have to use the clock of the SPDIF signal output by the Axe-Fx.

If I hooked up the Axe 2 to the Saffire Pro 40 via XLR analog inputs instead of SPDIF, would that mean I wouldn't have to worry about the two devices being at the same sample rate? Also, would there be a noticeable degradation in sound quality between analog XLR and SPDIF (RCA style)?

If I hooked up the Axe 2 to the Saffire Pro 40 via XLR analog inputs instead of SPDIF, would that mean I wouldn't have to worry about the two devices being at the same sample rate? Also, would there be a noticeable degradation in sound quality between analog XLR and SPDIF (RCA style)?
no if you go analog it doesn't matter. Here's why like skipping the additional D/A to A/D conversion...when I re-amp I like to keep it in the box so I don't have to worry about gain staging.

Back
Top Bottom