Clock Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
The input provided are the choices at hand. Just because you don't like the answer doesn't make it not helpful.

The answers provided are not incorrect and they were provided in an attempt to help you with an alternate option.

Anyway, I'm out...
You know, It's not a matter of liking the answer. It's a matter of it not even being an answer. Instead it's "oh you'll never hear the difference" and "go measure things" and "you have no grasp of reality"...

These are not answers they are attacks intended to cover for the fact that someone doesn't have an answer, or worse, no one should ask that question.

Forums have a personality. This one is not very nice, and not very professional, with a couple of great exceptions for which I'm grateful.

Don

It is not “helpful” when the OP of a thread comes in with unrealistic expectations and is unwilling to hear that those expectations are not reasonable.

This is a Guitar FX processor. That is what it was designed to do. Thus the name: Axe Fx. As in Axe == guitar. It was not named “Rack FX” or “Studio FX”. It was not designed to be a general purpose studio appliance. It has some features that someone who has not delved into the product documentation or vetted device capabilities and use cases could misconstrue, and thus view the Axe FX as a studio appliance.

Maybe in the future the product may go in that direction. That is not what it is today. No amount of wanting, wishing, mansplaining, debating, justifying or rationalizing is going to change what it is now; at this moment in time.

So while you may not see it as helpful, the fact of the matter is that you have a few options to get to 44.1:
  • Get a digital interface that does up/down conversion
  • Use a plug-in for up/down conversion
  • Use a software interface for up/down conversion
  • Record an analog source
Now, I already suspect that none of these options will meet your requirements because you insist that this Guitar FX Processor should be a studio appliance. Which it is not because it is a Guitar FX Processor.

Get my point? We have a nice tight endless loop. We can have this circular conversation for some time and all that will happen is that it will become a shit show. Now the design of the Axe FX is not changing, at least not any time too soon, so the one way out of this endless loop is for you to accept that the answer you are getting is the answer... at least for now.

From the website page on the III:

The Center of your Music Workstation
A 16-core, 500 MHz microcontroller provides 16 channels of flawless USB audio (8 in, 8 out) allowing the Axe-Fx III to be the center of your music workstation. The audiophile-grade signal path components and converters provide better audio performance than most dedicated USB audio interfaces. With 8×8 channels you can record multiple tracks of processed audio, DI signals, etc., while monitoring backing tracks, auditioning stereo reamps in real-time, and more. A USB audio sound source can even be placed on the grid with its own dedicated block. Windows 7/8/10 drivers are included, and the Axe-Fx III requires no driver on a Mac running 10.7.4 or newer."

See my next post for a summary of the solution for using this in the DAW world.

Don

Did you even read this thread ?

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ple-rate-feature-with-firmware-update.149605/

And if that's not enough, then read this one ....

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/the-axe-fx-3-works-only-at-48khz.149520/

You question has been asked and answered multiple times in multiple different threads and the answer from the product designer is ALWAYS the same.

Sorry you're so put off by the forum ..., but it gets frustrating for the members who understand your situation to answer the same question over and over and over again ....

I'm actually surprised that someone hasn't already commented that you should use the search function before you post :rolleyes: ....

Didn’t we just have a very similar discussion that went on for like 7 pages last week on this very subject, with a very similar feeling of banging one’s head against the wall as it simply went nonwhere ?

Hope your tests work out. The Axe is unbeatable for what it says on the tin.

My long-winded point, and MHO, is to just use what works and focus on what matters - playing guitar and capturing great performances. Once mixed in the extra conversion from the Axe shouldn't matter, unless you are producing a Sinewave Symphony.

And think, if it was fixed at 44.1k and you ended up landing a gig for film, we'd be back here again ;)

EDIT: this raises an interesting question. If JJ Abrams called and wanted your song for StarWars, would you say "sorry, no, it was recorded at 44.1k and I refuse to convert to 48k?"

Well, I don't need to, the Axe works fine as a digital source, once it and the computer and interface are all happy. Read on.

Here's what we learned today. (specifics are only for the RME UFX, Logic Pro, and a Mac, YMMV)

1. If you do the following, all is well.
a. send the AES out of the UFX to the AES in of the Axe.
b. send the AES out of the Axe to the AES in of the UFX.
c. set the UFX to 48k on the Fireface USB Settings app from RME
d select the UFX as the device to use in Audio Midi setup on the Mac.
e. select setup on the Axe and then I/O and then Word clock. set Word Clock to AES/sp/dif in, then sp/dif/AES in to AES. If all is well you will not see a "no clock" warning, and the UFX will show a solid LED on the AES State indicator meaning it's locked.
f. Makes sure the project preferences in Logic are set to 48k on the audio menu.
g. Make music.

Sounds great, works great. No analog. Sure was nice to get the Axe working at it's best and be able to hear what it's capable of.

Don

Did you even read this thread ?

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ple-rate-feature-with-firmware-update.149605/

And if that's not enough, then read this one ....

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/the-axe-fx-3-works-only-at-48khz.149520/

You question has been asked and answered multiple times in multiple different threads and the answer from the product designer is ALWAYS the same.

Sorry you're so put off by the forum ..., but it gets frustrating for the members who understand your situation to answer the same question over and over and over again ....

I'm actually surprised that someone hasn't already commented that you should use the search function before you post :rolleyes: ....

As you can see from my post above, working at 48K-only is not a problem in my context here. I gave the solution and it is a much better one than "use the damn analog".

Glad I could contribute.

Don

@Don Cicchetti did you read the manual? If you bought the Axe FX without reading at least the introduction to the manual or researching the product, I don’t know what to tell you.

So your position is that a single, short piece of marketing literature overrides other, more exhaustive resources that provide far more context?

I am with @unix-guy. I am out. I don’t understand why all of the OPs for these sample rate threads are so damn cantankerous.

Well dude have fun with your little shit show. I choose mot not play. Bye.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/clock-question.149650/#post-1776015
?????????
I thought the whole problem was using the Axe digitally on a 44.1k project!
I was willing to switch to all 48 in the future, and I found a way on the Mac to compensate for the 48 on a 44.1 project, so I was in pretty good shape. The debate became about yelling at me and making specious arguments to "just use the damn analog outs" and re-sample them, which I'm not going to do. Then of course we had the usual forum bullies trying ridicule me for that. Pretty predictable.

In the end, we have a fix. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Don

@Don Cicchetti did you read the manual? If you bought the Axe FX without reading at least the introduction to the manual or researching the product, I don’t know what to tell you.

So your position is that a single, short piece of marketing literature overrides other, more exhaustive resources that provide far more context?

I am with @unix-guy. I am out. I don’t understand why all of the OPs for these sample rate threads are so damn cantankerous.

Well dude have fun with your little shit show. I choose mot not play. Bye.

Another wannabe forum bully.

I am not relying on the Axe as a studio interface, but your position that it was never intended as such is clearly uninformed.

Oh, and I read the manual before I made the purchase. I liked the unit enough to try to find a workaround. I did. You can use it yourself!

You guys need to become adults.

Don

I was willing to switch to all 48 in the future, and I found a way on the Mac to compensate for the 48 on a 44.1 project, so I was in pretty good shape. The debate became about yelling at me and making specious arguments to "just use the damn analog outs" and re-sample them, which I'm not going to do. Then of course we had the usual forum bullies trying ridicule me for that. Pretty predictable.

In the end, we have a fix. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Don
Well, using the analog outs is a perfectly viable option as is upsampling the 44.1k projects. Anyway, you found a solution that works for you so it's all good.

Another wannabe forum bully.

I am not relying on the Axe as a studio interface, but your position that it was never intended as such is clearly uninformed.

Oh, and I read the manual before I made the purchase. I liked the unit enough to try to find a workaround. I did. You can use it yourself!

You guys need to become adults.

Don

Thou protests too much; especially for someone who clearly didn’t RTFM, wiki, or try the search function ...

Don, it seems like you answered your own question. You went in a direction that I probably would have recommended had I noticed this thread earlier. Personally I run the III via analog ins to my own RME but if this doesn't meet your needs that's obviously fine. Thank you for sharing your method here. As Duke Ellington once said, "If it sounds good, it is good."

I'm not sure why some people felt the need to respond in the way they did, but I find it regrettable that we can't all be more civil around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom