Clipping

Wildwind

Experienced
I'll do a search here in a minute, but have a gig in an hour and am looking for a quick answer. I know the short answer is just lower the amp level, but someone posted a while back that there's a better way - that's the search subject.

I tend to run my patches hot - and every tweak makes them louder. Hey, louder is better, right? Problem is I'm getting a clipping light on pretty much all my patches. They sound great, but I know that has to be fixed.

So if someone can quickly respond with the best way to do this, I'd appreciate it!

Lacking that (or a successful search), I'll just cool everything off by 5-6 dB or something, more if the light stays one.

Lights are not constant, just when I'm hitting it hard. Guitar (in this case) is a Strat, input levels are 100%. Unless told otherwise, I won't change those.

Thanks!

Started search - FW10 was mentioned - I am running 10.02 - and the problem did seem to get worse with FW10, now that I think of it. Does that help? Returning to search mode...

Yeah, I do mean output. Input lights are normal - occasional red just like you want.

Thanks, I didn't think of that, will give it a try. I forget those are there.

The long term solution is to turn amp levels down in every preset.

Watch my "prevent output clipping" video when you have time. Link to my blog in my signature below.

Don't use the global gain level as that will lessen the amount of distortion on patches that have it. There is a level slider on both of the global EQs that will work for a quick fix.

I turn the amp level down to below clipping. That's the only way I can prevent clipping without changing tone.

Thanks everyone. I just turned down each patch the same amount (6 dB) - no red lights and got through the gig perfectly.

Chris, I'll check out the video, wasn't sure if it was updated to FW10 yet.

The basic concept shown is the same for all firmware and all models of the axe, lots of other gear too really.

And yek - thanks for the link, checking it out now. That was the thread I was searching for actually - just ran out of time before I had to pack up and fly.

Back
Top Bottom