Clipping! UGH!

one common cause i have seen is too much sub low end. if you put a peq after the cabinet and eq block, then set the low frequency eq type to blocking, then cut lows from 45hz and work your way up until the bottom end tightens up. you may find that you stop at 60hz, 75hz, 90hz or more depending on the amp/cab/mic chosen. same with highs; start at 14khz and work your way down.

another thing that could help you is using a multiband compressor after the cabs and eqs.

Also, as an alternative to what Ross says (or maybe the first step followed by the PEQ suggestion if needed), you can use the lo-cut parm in the Advanced tab on the amp block. Many of those default to the lowest setting (10hz), but I find that anywhere from 80-120Hz is a good cutoff point for cleaning up the boomy low-end.

Also, you can bypass everything but amp+cab and, if no clipping, add your other blocks one at a time until you clip. Then check out your output levels.

If you still have problems, post your patch so we can take a look at it.

my bad then....i thought those amp controls were on the front end instead of the amp output.

i thought the controls were/are pre gain because they seem to effect distortion so much. someone please confirm if it's before or after the gain stage.

from wiki:

"LOWCUT FREQ - This control allows you to reduce the amount of low frequency content at the input to the amp simulator. This parameter defaults to a value for each type but can be overridden if desired. A higher value will "tighten" up the amp, since what a user calls "flub" is low frequency distortion."

Maybe for the models I use reducing the low end on input is sufficient to prevent that low-end from manifesting itself on output. If those freqs are not there for the model to process it would stand to reason that, in many cases, it won't appear on the output.

Ross's suggestion of using a PEQ to block the low freqs will definitely catch any additional 'boominess' you might encounter. My approach is usually to get the amp+cab (+OD if needed) as close to what I want and then add EQ only if I need to... and in many cases the hi-cut/low-cut adjustments are sufficient. But for those cases where it's not, the blocking function on the PEQ is your best friend (and something I used religiously on my Boss GT units).

I'm not exactly sure what kind of clipping you are referring to, but I noticed these really "artifacts" last night. It was on a preset I had in a previous firmware. I had already changed the amp model, then back, to get [what I thought] were the defaults. However, it wasn't until I did the Bypass double-click that the bad stuff I was hearing went away. I must have previously changed something in the advanced parameters that don't get reset by just changing the model.

Back
Top Bottom