Clip On Tuners

Rich G.

Experienced
I've been thinking about getting a new Clip On Tuner. I read through this thread. I wasn't able to find a similar thread here so I thought I'd start one.

I've had the Snark SN-1 in the past, but the connection broke at the ball joint in the back and that thing ate batteries. My bass player picked up an SN-8 and that seems to be better on batteries and he hasn't broken it yet.

I've been looking at the Snark HZ-1. Anyone have the HZ-1? What are your favorite clip on tuners and why? There are SO many different ones available now HERE.

Hi, I have The TC Electronic PolyTune Clip. I use it for shows when I don't use my Axe Rig (Which I hate)... It works great..

I recently got a Polytune Clip. It's bright and very accurate, but it's big and not the most flexible, so placing it can be difficult. Many people seem to thing it's the best at being a tuner and I can't argue with that since I have the big pedal version and the mini pedal version.

I have several Planet Waves NS Micro Tuners (and some of the older big ones) scattered around on acoustics and in their cases. I cannot stand the look of the Snark on an instrument. The NS Micro is very stealthy and I find that it works extremely well. I've seen them many times for under $10, especially in a two-pack. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/daddario-planet-waves-ns-micro-headstock-tuner?rNtt=ns micro&index=1

A well-respected pro on the acoustic guitar forum recommended a specific Fender clip on tuner (and ONLY this model he cautioned). For under $10 and then with 20% off at the end of 2015, I picked up a pair. I was pleasantly surprised. It turns on automatically when you clip it to the guitar. Handy! The display is large and easy to read, yet the unit is not huge like a Snark. It's very flexible and can be turned however you need it so it's easily visible to you. I haven't compared accuracy, but my guitars are in tune when I use it and an out of tune guitar really bothers me. The copy on MF says it's accurate to 1%, but I'd be surprised if that were true. It certainly sounds much more accurate to me. I got a blue one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fender-california-series-clip-on-tuners?rNtt=clip on tuner&index=7

I don't care for the Peterson. It may be accurate, but I find it difficult to read (my original pedal tuner is still in the box from when they first came out years ago) and I've read that they're useless in sunlight.

So many to choose from!

I recently got a Polytune Clip. It's bright and very accurate, but it's big and not the most flexible, so placing it can be difficult. Many people seem to thing it's the best at being a tuner and I can't argue with that since I have the big pedal version and the mini pedal version.

I have the Polytune Clip too. Being able to strum all open strings to quickly check or adjust tuning is valuable in a live setting. I do agree that the clip mounting isn't very flexible but so far I've always found positions that work. Another thing I don't like is it takes about 5 seconds to power on.

I've also got a few Snarks. They feel flimsy but they are inexpensive.

I have Snark, Polytune and NS Micro.

I like the Snark, tuning is quick and accurate....but agree that it looks too goofy to put on my guitar during a gig.
NS Micro is great...very stealth, but sometimes hard to read because of that (when I'm trying to tune while singing)
Polytune I have not taken out of the house yet, but I find that it's hard to find a good way to clip it on without it also looking goofy. I don't find the multi-string option to be very useful. It's not as accurate as when you do individual strings. But it definitely has the brightest and clearest display.

I would not hesitate to recommend any of the ones I just mentioned, they all tune great, but have their pros and cons based on your needs.

I also have a few of the poly clip ons-very bright and accurate - I hve no problems with placement at all. But the snarks are good also and I have about 5 of those scattered all over my house :)

I have the Polytune Clip too. Being able to strum all open strings to quickly check or adjust tuning is valuable in a live setting. I do agree that the clip mounting isn't very flexible but so far I've always found positions that work. Another thing I don't like is it takes about 5 seconds to power on.

I've also got a few Snarks. They feel flimsy but they are inexpensive.

As much as I think the polyphonic tuning capability is (heck, I even have the app on my phone), I can't seem to break old habits and rarely strum all 6 to visually see what's out! :) Then again, I usually know by ear before I tune between songs. :0

The new Snark looks good. Improved clip.

I use headless electrics, so clip-on is not an option. LOL

But yeah, for my acoustics, I love them.

I'm hoping for a Turbo Tuner clip-on at some point.

Even those ones from Reverb.com (for $2, or whatever) are decent.

I'm very happy with the NS Micro. Considered trying the Polytune (love the Mini I have on my small board) but my latest acquisition is headless.

I use the Peterson Stroboclip occasionally, and it works on many of my guitars well. Doesn't fit the small head of the Music Man guitars well (Albert Lee HH models) but I don't think many clips would.

Been using the Axe FX tuner for years, and now AX8 tuner as well. They work great for me. But when I need another one, I either use a Peterson clip on or the old Boss TU-2s that I have had forever. I am intrigued by the Polytune, just haven't tried one!

I use a yamaha GTC1 for my flamenco. Its kinda slow and meh, the first one i had died shortly out of the box. Wish I had one that was a little faster on the uptake and more accurate tbh. But it does the job.

For those who think the Snark and other clip-ons look crass on their guitars, flip it around so it's behind the headstock.

IMG_3576.jpg I use Polytune Tuners, but I followed a tip from Thomas Nordegg (Steve Vai's tech) and had him bevel the edges and install the tuners permanently into my two main guitars. He drilled a countersunk screw in the back of the headstock and mounted them perfectly. They stay nice and tucked behind the headstock and fold out of the way when not in use and you can swivel them to be the perfect angle to tune.

Back
Top Bottom