Clip light fix

Wildwind

Experienced
Still figuring this thing out.

My main patches are pretty well established, but one or two of them cause the clip light to flicker now and then. I know I can reduce the level on each one and hope my patch-to-patch levels stay balanced - but is there a better way to do this? I see there are Global settings that include a Gain slider...

Thanks -

You can either reduce all patches by the same amount, i.e. reduce the Level control in the amp block by, say, 3 dB, or reduce everything by using the Gain slider in the Global menu.

That's great information. I'll make the adjustments. A function like you describe would be sweet! Thanks very much.

Just remember, anything you add in the chain can bump up output. Try to use unity gain when you can!!

Understood. I'd love to get smarter about patch creation. I use the level control for patch leveling as my final tweak, but it varies greatly from patch to patch. Often it is near 0, but some patches are not even close. Is there a place I can learn more about this process?

My tendency is that my patches get hotter and hotter as they "mature" - which results in red lights blinking, among other hazards. I plan to back my patches down a bunch, maybe like 10 dB, using my mixer as a guide (both trim and fader at or near unity) and compensate with my output level (currently at about 2:00). On the right track?

the physical output knobs have nothing to do with the clip light on the axe. clip light is all internal clipping.

use the VU meters on the Utility page to get some insight on how close to clipping your preset is.

i only use the Amp Level parameter to adjust the level of my presets, and as Cliff suggested, I use that first method. I gauge everything off of my loudest clean tone with any boosts engaged. i give that preset about 6 to 10 dB of headroom, just in case. from there, i turn off the boost and balance my other presets to that using my ears and the actual speakers i'll use. the room and atmosphere affect perceived volume, so the meters aren't going to be 100% correct when it comes to relative volume.

almost every block has a Level parameter, and each preset has its own Output Level parameter, and then you have the Global menu as well. so that's why i only use Amp Level to balance my presets because I don't want to constantly guess which parameter i used to adjust the volume, in case i want to reset back to "normal".

generally my Clean amp presets Amp Level are around -5 to -10 dB, and my distortion presets are around -8 to -15 dB or so, but that all depends on the type of amp etc.

That first part I understand. Same with the block levels. As for the rest - great info. I'll paste that into my tips document and look at everything. Big tweaking day tomorrow, getting ready for the weekend! Thanks bro.

No preference.

I'm thinking of making a little utility function that would do the first method automatically.

Would be a very helpful nice little feature! The advantage against the global menu Volume Slider would be preset-independence from global parameters -> other Axe-Fx Units -> axechange ...

Back
Top Bottom