Clip LEDs and Levels

macfly

Inspired
Got my first FX8 a year ago, dialed it in quickly and started using it. Had some time on my hands today and decided to look closely at levels and such. This has led me to a couple of questions:

1. My INPUT 1 LED flickers occasionally and I wonder if that's ok. It seems like it doesn't light up predictably. My guitars all have hot passive pickups in them (Fralin humbuckers, Alnico V, 42 gauge wire, wound to somewhere between 9K and 9.5K). With guitar up full and hitting it really hard with power chords, open chords, palm muted chugging, etc., the LED flicks on randomly...in the course of a heavy-ish song I might see it once or twice. Most songs I don't see it at all. Output 1 lit up as often until I set the OUT PRE at each scene to -3dB. Now it almost never lights up.

Global settings are:

Input 1 (pre): 12dB
Output 1 (pre): 6dB (for some reason, this had been at 18dB)
Post Level: +4dBu

2. This is my levels page from the utility menu:

Does that look right?

I realize there has been some conversation about this, and I feel like I consulted the manual and forum archives but still don't know exactly. For example, someone from Fractal responded that the FX8's clip LEDs are not supposed to be "tickled." However, I still don't know if that means never, ever...or if a very occasional flicker is ok. I don't hear any digital clipping, so I assume it's ok, but am just curious to know for sure. I don't think my second question has been asked before.

Input red can flicker from time to time. you don't want Output clipping to happen ever.

please describe your setup so we know what is going in and out of each FX8 jack.

Hmmm. Maybe a dumb question but I've never seen anything but amber in the input (and other) LEDs. Does it change to red?

Path is 4CM:
Guitar into FX8 input 1 (pre)
Output 1 (pre) into Tim OD then to amp input
Amp fx send to input 2 (post)
Output 2 (post) to amp fx return

Hmmm. Maybe a dumb question but I've never seen anything but amber in the input (and other) LEDs. Does it change to red?

Path is 4CM:
Guitar into FX8 input 1 (pre)
Output 1 (pre) into Tim OD then to amp input
Amp fx send to input 2 (post)
Output 2 (post) to amp fx return
No, if it lights up you are clipping. You should avoid this.

if your Out 1 - which is the PRE Out - is very loud, then something in your PRE blocks is probably too loud, since we haven't involved the Amp or Post sections yet.

do you have a Drive pedal or something in there? perhaps a Preset or at least picture/screenshot can help us figure this out.

there are so many possibilities, uploading a Preset is always the best idea to get answers.

No effects on, but it didn't seem to matter even when I turned on all pre effects. I moved the "Output 1 (pre) Headroom" setting from 6dB to 12dB. The "Out 1 Clip" LED never lights up now.

I still get an occasional flicker at the input with two guitars that have pickups that are just slightly hotter than the rest (9.5k whereas the others are closer to 9k). Those will get a flicker at one or two places on the fretboard when I beat the hell out of it (which I rarely do). When I find that spot that lights up, I can then wail away and it seems to only randomly flicker very occasionally.

Uploading the preset in case that will help.

Attachments

• Main.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I moved the "Output 1 (pre) Headroom" setting from 6dB to 12dB. The "Out 1 Clip" LED never lights up now.
hmm, i think the Out 1 adjustment is -10 or +4. 6db to 12db sounds more like the adjustment for Input 1. i'll try to check your preset later tonight, but i'm slammed with a bunch of things.

Choices for Input 1 are 0, 6, 12.
Choices for Out 1 are 6, 12, 18.
Choices for Post level are -10, +4

I did find that wahs were causing it to clip, but they have been off as I've been setting the global levels. I turned them down.

If you don't have time, don't worry about it. I feel like I'm finding what I need to do. I went back to 6dB at the Out (in the global I/O menu) and then set my Out 1 (Pre) in my scenes to keep it from clipping. That significantly reduces noise (hiss) which is what started this whole thing. I still have an occasional, random blink a the input LED, which I am going to ignore. During my normal playing that happens very infrequently, and I sure don't hear any clipping.

As always THANK YOU for the help!

cool. i'll still try to look. the FX8 is designed to be Unity Gain, so most blocks wouldn't create a volume boost that would cause clipping.

keep in mind that a Wah effect IS a volume boost at a movable frequency, so if you're close to clipping, a wah can definitely push it over. Drive blocks are also big sources of volume, and you can always set blocks to increase level too much as well. i'll have a better idea once i look at the preset.

Yeah, I had the output (headroom) set to 18dB when I set up the presets, so I'd guess that's why the Wahs weren't clipping then. I have edited the preset, so I'll attach it again. My I/O menu settings are

Input: 1 (Pre) Pad: 12dB
Output 1 (Pre) Headroom: 6dB
Post Level: +4dBu

The only other global setting is in the Global menu, Out Pre EQ, 31k is set at -6dB

It might help to know that I use a CC pedal with a toe switch, which toggles between volume pedal and wah pedal on this preset. Unfortunately, I think the default is the wah so you might want to remove the "External 2" controller which is the toe switch.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Main.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Experiencing similar issues with clipping as well. I'll have to go back and check my settings but I'm thinking it could be the Wah. Also have slight gain changes between presets I need to look at.

I just wanted to say I had some issues here as well and I solved them by raising the headroom in I/O and then moving my MXR 10 band in front of the amp. It was the 10 band bringing my signal into ungodly clipping territory. That one in specific is noted as a "high headroom" 18v eq, so that is probably part of it.

After that I was able to get everything good and I'm super picky and anal. I can tell a tiny bit when it hits the D\A, but it's not enough to warrant anything live or anything like that. I doubt you could tell in a mix either.

The feel is good, I'm impressed after being let down from an Axe II mk1 in 4cm. The true bypass function is really cool and very appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom