Cliff's Reviews: Ad Astra

Cliff - thanks for warning me off the film. However please keep the reviews coming as that was a very amusing read over my brekkie cereals. Ordinarily I spare my 14 year old daughter posts from the forum but she very much enjoyed your v amusing synopsis. Thank you ;-)

I paid good money to watch Ad Astra in a theater. After seeing the movie I realized I shoulda spent the money on something meaningful like hookers and blow.

yeah, I agree with this. I watched this based on the good overall IMDB reviews, but found it to be a big anticlimax.

After reading all of this, I have to watch the movie now, should sound pretty good in my home theater.

As far as Brad Pit, Fury was a real good movie and if you have good or better subwoofers properly setup and calibrated it was a keeper for sure pretty much reference down to 10 Hz. The UHD disc has the Dolby Atmos mix and if your setup for that it was pretty enjoyable.

Very engaging story as well

I'm sure that if you were a tanker you'd find something to bitch about. The whole battle with the Tiger tank for instance. Or why those SS soldiers kept stupidly assaulting a static tank rather then hit it with some panzerfausts. Tanks without infantry support were usually mincemeat in WW2. I swear to God, even when they are trying real hard Hollywood is clueless as to how to film a realistic battle and just revert back to General Melchett's great handbook on frontal assaults.

yeah, I agree with this. I watched this based on the good overall IMDB reviews, but found it to be a big anticlimax.

The review sites are bought and paid for by the studios. You're never going to get an honest review on there. Just like you're not going to get an honest game review from any site or magazine which has early access to an upcoming game. Bought and paid for.

Yeah, it's not like Army of Darkness or Killer Klowns from Outer Space where it's so bad it's good. It's just bad.
I gotta hand it to you, Cliff. This was hilariously absurd. Hot Dog should have had buddies called Larry Lesotho and Colin Congo. They missed a trick: they could've called Hot Dog's daddy Burger King or Big Mac.
Maybe there were space pirates because someone heard there are oceans on the Moon, such as the Mare Tranquilatis.
It would have been more believable if our hero had returned to Earth by coolly swallowing some anti-matter and farting his way back, With the plot designers ignoring the fact that our hero's blown a hole between the b*tt cheeks of his space suit.
I just couldn't think of a suitable tune to play in the background whilst this incredible journey is happening.

This movie really sucked. Just shows how the movie review sites are all tainted by paid movie shills. Or people have even worse taste than I imagine; and that bar is set pretty low as it is.

The review sites are bought and paid for by the studios. You're never going to get an honest review on there. Just like you're not going to get an honest game review from any site or magazine which has early access to an upcoming game. Bought and paid for.

As someone who's worked as a game developer, a magazine journalist reviewing games and other software/hardware, and as a developer in the movie business, I can tell that's a load of nonsense. Sure, companies give reviewers little perks like taking them out for dinner or what have you, but there's no money changing hands and the perks are hardly life changing. Pretty much any reviewer of repute is going to get early access to games - especially in the print media - because the lead time is long and the publisher wants the game to be reviewed before it comes out. Unless they already know it's a stinker.

FWIW - I thought Ad Astra looked gorgeous but I fell asleep somewhere between Mars and Neptune.

As someone who's worked as a game developer, a magazine journalist reviewing games and other software/hardware, and as a developer in the movie business, I can tell that's a load of nonsense. Sure, companies give reviewers little perks like taking them out for dinner or what have you, but there's no money changing hands and the perks are hardly life changing. Pretty much any reviewer of repute is going to get early access to games - especially in the print media - because the lead time is long and the publisher wants the game to be reviewed before it comes out. Unless they already know it's a stinker.

FWIW - I thought Ad Astra looked gorgeous but I fell asleep somewhere between Mars and Neptune.

Funny, my brother works as a games journalist, he exactly confirms what I am saying. In fact I got them from him.

Hey, journalist? Want an early version of our new game to review? Including a shiny special rare uber edition you can keep yourself, uh, give away as a prize? Yes, give away of course. Wink wink. And all you have to do is write a good review of our new game. An 8 at least.

His words, not mine.

Also, isn't it interesting how Sony and Naughty Dog were hitting youtubers left and right who were just talking about the Last of Us 2 leaks, not talking about the contents, just that there were leaks, with copy rights infractions. Threatening to destroy their channels and livelyhoods. And all the games media were saying about this abuse of the copy rights system was one giant deafening silence. And now they are all coming out with glowing reviews of the Last of Us 2.

Bought and paid for isn't always a physical exchange of money. Little perks and special access are also a form of bribery.

If you want an Ad Astra that kicks ass, this is the one:

Sorry, no amazing guitar tones here :( but a fantastic piece of music 👌 🎶

Dammit, even after Cliff’s ’warning’...I couldn’t look away from the damn light! 2 hours and 4 minutes of my life...zapped. Fortunately, I survived, unlike poor Harry.

Back
Top Bottom