Cliff's Reviews: Ad Astra

I wondered if this was trying to be interstellar? but interstellar is just a bad version of the awesome contact imho.

I liked Ad Astra for how it played the utterly broken relationship between father and son, and how their obsessions have ruined their relationships with their families.

Why they chose to tell that story over a terribly unrealistic sci-fi plot is beyond me. It could have been done much better.

you had me at Brad Pitt, has there ever been a move he was in that was good?
Yes, depending on your taste in movies. Off the top of my head:
Thelma & Louise
True Romance
12 Monkeys
Seven
Fight Club
Deadpool 2 (technically; his cameo was less than a second long)
But has he been in a good movie lately? That’s a fair question.

Thelma & Louise
True Romance
12 Monkeys
Seven
Fight Club

So, basically he's a good supporting actor. ;)

The pirates on the moon was the funniest part, a real wtf moment. Do they live in the crater and have a buggy parked next to it?

Thelma & Louise
True Romance
12 Monkeys
Seven
Fight Club
Inglorious Bastards
Snatch

Hollywood can't make decent movies anymore. It used to be that they were commies, but they were still in the business of making money. Now they are just commies. And recent events have pushed them into a shark feeding frenzy. The moment I heard Brad Pitt talk about this movie as being about toxic masculinity I knew this movie wasn't made for me. I'm currently listening to The Critical Drinker and Nerdrotic discussing Star Trek II Wrath of Kahn, and god, were they able to make a good movie back then.

The "critics" gave it 84%. If that doesn't tell you something about the integrity of the movie critic biz, nothing will.

Critics? These days they are either activists pushing an agenda or shills pushing a product. Or worse, both. I'll take my movie reviews from people I trust.

Bummer, didn't realize it was that wacky and bad.

I know it didn't get good reviews but it recently showed up on my radar over the last week and I thought I'd have a look anyway since I'm looking for new movies to watch these days...but I'll definitely pass on this after reading the review. I don't think I could overlook the sheer implausibility of what was described here.

My wife corrected me that the rabid space mandrill encounter happened between the moon and Mars. The captain of the rocket and Capt. Brad went to the research vessel to answer the distress call and for some reason the baboons were all super hostile and ate the rocket captain's face. Literally. One of the insane monkeys ate his face.

Between Mars and Neptune the crew did the ol' "I'll do the exact opposite of what anyone with any common sense would do" routine and killed themselves. So Capt. Brad dumped their bodies into space somewhat unceremoniously.

Ok. I just watched it with skipping through the boring parts.

Bunch of random, disconnected plots, that were not explained "why". There was no resolution.

Is there a sequel or am I missing something?

Ok. I just watched it with skipping through the boring parts.

Bunch of random, disconnected plots, that were not explained "why". There was no resolution.

Is there a sequel or am I missing something?
Nope. It's just terrible. The whole movie has its head so far up its own ass, it's the movie equivalent of jerking off in front of a mirror.

Nope. It's just terrible. The whole movie has its head so far up its own ass, it's the movie equivalent of jerking off in front of a mirror.

It felt like Tommy Lee Jones changed his mind halfway through shooting the movie and demanded to be written off the story.

Back
Top Bottom