Cliffs of Dover Patch/static question?

So I just bought the axe fx2 a few days ago. I love it, but I have a few questions.

It seems like every medium to high gain patch I download has a ton of static in the sound.

Even if I roll the noise gate a lot. All it does is compress that static when I'm not playing, and it also takes a lot of "power" away from the tone. But even so, it never gets rid of the static. As soon as you start playing. It just sounds like there's a ton of static in the tone.

I want to get an awesome marshall tone, like something fairly high gain with no static(G&R | AC/DC) etc

I've downloaded like 50 patches in the past few days. And they all sound the same, the tone sounds great but the static absolutely ruins it. I had this same issue with biasfx. I don't understand, how all these guys on YouTube make their cover songs, or just showing off a tone they created and it's got incredible power yet no static interference, and sounds perfectly clean.

For my second question, my dream is to find this tone: Hearing that cover, is what originally made me want to buy an axefx years ago. (Instead I bought a kemper like a dumbass)

When I search up CoD in the axe change, the closest one I could find was this patch:

And it's for the XL, I only have the 2. To my knowledge this guy didn't use the XL, and he used the axefx2.

Anyone know where I can find a patch that sounds fairly close to either the original, or the one in the cover here^

Can you post a sound sample of this "static" you are talking about? I've never heard that term come up before...

Here's a recording from my phone, I can't record directly from usb since I need to buy a new laptop :/

Same static happens when I put on headphones.

The noise gate is at -20

I can roll it to 0 or 10, but then the tone sounds lame and has way less "power" sort of speak. That only gets rid of the static when you're not playing. As soon as you play it comes right back.

It seems like, when I play notes above the 12th fret, and sustain the note the static completely goes away. After I release the note it comes back, and you can really hear it in the power chords. And I've tried 4 guitars, all the same thing.

Ok... That is not static, it's commonly referred to as "hum".

Have you tried a different guitar or cable? The noise gate isn't likely to help much with that.

One thing that might help a bit is to reduce the gain a bit.

AC / DC uses way less gain than that, and while I'm not a big GNR fan, I think most of their stuff is lower gain than that, too.

What kind of guitar and pickups are you using?

Just so you know.......That's not normal.
  1. Does it go away with the guitar volume rolled all of the way down?
  2. Does it go away with the cable unplugged from the guitar?
  3. Does it go away with the cable unplugged from the Axe-Fx?
  4. Is everything in you rig plugged into the same power outlet?
  5. Have you tried using a different power outlet or a different room/location?

Just so you know.......That's not normal.
  1. Does it go away with the guitar volume rolled all of the way down?
  2. Does it go away with the cable unplugged from the guitar?
  3. Does it go away with the cable unplugged from the Axe-Fx?
  4. Is everything in you rig plugged into the same power outlet?
  5. Have you tried using a different power outlet or a different room/location?
1) when its pretty low you can't really hear it.

2) no it doesn't

3) yes

4) yes

5) no

Edit: I had some unplugged fender amps next to my cord. As well as my phone and another unplugged 1/4 patch cable. I straightened out my cord I was using and took it away from the amp and then went back and now just about all the noise is gone. So must of been some sort of electrical interference :/

Thanks for your help guys.

1) when its pretty low you can't really hear it.

2) no it doesn't

3) yes

4) yes

5) no

Edit: I had some unplugged fender amps next to my cord. As well as my phone and another unplugged 1/4 patch cable. I straightened out my cord I was using and took it away from the amp and then went back and now just about all the noise is gone. So must of been some sort of electrical interference :/

Thanks for your help guys.
If your other amp was unplugged, there is no likely chance of interference.

Sounds like a bad guitar cable... It may be a bad solder joint in one of the connectors.

Try a different cable.

I have the same problem. Shutting down my computer seems to help a bit, or just turning away from it while playing. With the house filled with electric equipment the guitar is picking up a lot of noise. Makes recording anything of quality basically impossible.

I have the same problem. Shutting down my computer seems to help a bit, or just turning away from it while playing. With the house filled with electric equipment the guitar is picking up a lot of noise. Makes recording anything of quality basically impossible.
That is a good observation. Part of that issue with be dependant on how will the guitar is shielded.

OP - do you have a computer or computer monitor in the vicinity of your guitar?

That's a ground hum issue, nothing to do with the Axefx. That's the same sound I hear when my guitar is unplugged and the cable end is laying on the carpet. You likely have a computer with a big monitor in front of your guitar and the gain is ridiculously high. Or...your speakers, amp, and/or Axefx are plugged into a noisy circuit. My old apartment had the building transformer next door and it sounded just like that.

I've unplugged my computer, tv. Turned off lights. The only thing on is fridge and stove/hood fan.

But yeah I'm sure it's not the axe having any issues itself. But the sound does go away sometimes it's not because the gain is too high.

Anyone got any suggestions to bypass this? Some sort of better shielded cord. Otherwise this kinda sucks, I can't do any recording in my home...

Would an xlr cord bypass the static compared to the 1/4 cable?

Do you have a power conditioner between the wall outlet and you axe fx? That helps in many cases as well.

I don't, but I don't think That will help in this case. It seems like it's just picking up too many signals in the room. Wifi etc. I'm going to try it at a friends house soon.

Am I really the only one who has this issue? My other amps never had this issue.

The purpose of a power conditioner is to eliminate such things. Don't dismiss that so quickly, it worked for me. Borrow one and give it a try.

I have just run into this "static" problem also. I was running Q7.01 just fine for a few days. One day I turned on my system and discovered static on all higher gain patches. I then installed q7.02 and the problem went away. The next day of q7.02 the problem returned. I am perplexed as I have never experienced the problem before. I confirmed that my speakers are not blown by testing each separately. I also did an fx bypass on each fx block individually and static remained. The suggestion that the power could be dirty is reasonable (like as if someone was using a blender on the home AC line). No one else was creating such static on the line. I have not concluded anything here but note that this never occurred until update from q7 to q7.01. Later I will downgrade to q7 and report the results.

Back
Top Bottom