Cliff was not kidding about the Carol Ann amps in Q2.0. Seriously, give them a shot!

Variable

Inspired
They were already awesome in Q1.0, but as of Q2.0 they are seriously off the charts good. If you like Marshall sounds but like that "boutiquey" vibe, I highly recommend checking out the Tucana and Triptik. Whatever Cliff did for the D-style amps in Q2.0, it must have involved ground up unicorn horns and pixie dust.

What I like most about the Q2.0 Tucana is that it has this level of touch sensitivity I can't seem to find in any other amp, especially in 2.0. I can go from soft in-betweeny jazzy fusion stuff on my neck pickup to straight out chugga-chugga with the flip of my pickup selector. Even the Triptik and Tucana clean channels are more bouncy and dynamic.

This is the inspiring stuff about the Axe FX that keeps me away from eBay and my pocket-book full :)

This guy is right. I actually managed to get the OD-2 to sound bigger, meaner, and heavier than my 5150 metal rhythm patch. And the OD-2 is even able to do that while also not having the "gummy fizz" around notes that's kind of inherent to the 5150.

It took some work and I had to tweak a few controls beyond the standard front panel knobs, but once I did it I found a ridiculously cool amp under the hood.

I haven't tried these since FW 16 or something like that. Gotta give them another chance. Thanks for the heads up.

I've always liked the Carol Ann amps and they keep getting better with each new firmware. If I were buying one I'd have trouble choosing between the three.

Recent posts regarding the Carol-Ann amps caused me to take a deep dive into them with Q2 at rehearsal last week and one of them (can't remember which) is now my main lead amp/preset and displacing the Dumble that filled that role for a long time in my setup.

I'm also using one in my mid-gain/Marshall/70's preset in the "Y" position and experimenting with it; between that and the 1987X in the "X" position it's pretty sweet indeed....great sound and feel for sure....

I couldn't resist buying a real Carol Ann after all the praise it was given by Cliff. I have had it for about a year now and love it. I have bought and sold many amps over the years but this is a keeper. View attachment 30401

Since you have a real one; how does it compare to the Axe model? and do you have specific settings of the Axe model you can recommend to get the sweet spot of the real amp?

They were already awesome in Q1.0, but as of Q2.0 they are seriously off the charts good. If you like Marshall sounds but like that "boutiquey" vibe, I highly recommend checking out the Tucana and Triptik. Whatever Cliff did for the D-style amps in Q2.0, it must have involved ground up unicorn horns and pixie dust.

What I like most about the Q2.0 Tucana is that it has this level of touch sensitivity I can't seem to find in any other amp, especially in 2.0. I can go from soft in-betweeny jazzy fusion stuff on my neck pickup to straight out chugga-chugga with the flip of my pickup selector. Even the Triptik and Tucana clean channels are more bouncy and dynamic.

This is the inspiring stuff about the Axe FX that keeps me away from eBay and my pocket-book full :)

Yup! ^^^ Like the CA amps in the AXE so much I bought a Triptik!

Since you have a real one; how does it compare to the Axe model? and do you have specific settings of the Axe model you can recommend to get the sweet spot of the real amp?
Once I got the real one I couldn't stop playing it. I use the axe fx as fx only. As far as the comparison I remember really liking the sound of the model in the axe fx but once I got the real one I haven't gone back to using the model in the axe fx so I can't make an honest comment on the comparison. I am liking the real one so much I just don't have a desire to mess with the the axe fx model. Maybe someday I will.

Back
Top Bottom