Cliff, Matt, et. al - A Serious Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey @selta hows the B7K for regular old school bass tones? (like the BDDI Not the more modern grindy clacky tones lol) can it get those as well?

Darkglass B7K!!! Please make it happen, I need this in the AX8! (I was considering buying one to run thru the fx loop)

Can you give an example of what you mean in particular? It can do great OD, but not fuzz type tones.

Steve Harris, kip Winger, Dave Ellefson, etc. just that really punchy, lots of low end and "mildly" driven type of tone. Lol I don't really know how to describe bass tone.

Steve Harris, kip Winger, Dave Ellefson, etc. just that really punchy, lots of low end and "mildly" driven type of tone. Lol I don't really know how to describe bass tone.
You don't need the B7K at all for those.
Harris used a Trace Elliot and a Marshall 4x12 cab, with a compressor up front (of course, his 1/4# pickups in his P-bass, strung with flats)
Kip, if I recall, was big on Spector NS-2's for a long time, which with the hazlab pre is right where you're wanting to go.
Ellefson has a lot of the M80 in his tone, too.

I'd just start with a p-style bass (fender, spector's NS-2 etc), the SVT model with a nice twist on the master, maybe hit up front with a drive block (fat rat, or something similar). I'd suggest getting the GK or Trace cabs from 3 Sigma. From there, it shouldn't take a whole lot of tweaking to dial things in to get that tone.

Thanks Selta, you're a wealth of bass info. I'll give it a try. My problem really is I'm not trying to cop someone's tone specifically, to me it's an old school generic tone. There's just something in the feel and low end punch about those old tones. I just haven't had any success with the axe no matter what I do. Best results I've had were with the BDDI and active Ibanez basses with Bartolini pickups. (For some reason it wasn't as good on my Spector with the tone pump preamp). I tried quite a few really good sounding presets in general but I just can't get that feel. For guitars the feel is immediate. You can scroll though amp models and it's just there right away. I don't find that the case with the bass amps. I know everyone's ear is different, but I could just plug in the BDDI and there it was. (Before anyone chimes in and says just use the BDDI, I sold it). I also had one of those apps on the iPad, jamuppro I think and I bought the bass amps and they surprisingly were really good. Ampeg, GK etc. just select the amp and cab and it's there right away. I'm hoping that the bass offerings in the axe will eventually get there like the guitar amps. Then again, maybe it's just me and my limited tweaking skills. So it seems lately the B7K and the like are a better version of the BDDI, so I'm interested to see how it is

Thanks Selta, you're a wealth of bass info. I'll give it a try. My problem really is I'm not trying to cop someone's tone specifically, to me it's an old school generic tone. There's just something in the feel and low end punch about those old tones. I just haven't had any success with the axe no matter what I do. Best results I've had were with the BDDI and active Ibanez basses with Bartolini pickups. (For some reason it wasn't as good on my Spector with the tone pump preamp). I tried quite a few really good sounding presets in general but I just can't get that feel. For guitars the feel is immediate. You can scroll though amp models and it's just there right away. I don't find that the case with the bass amps. I know everyone's ear is different, but I could just plug in the BDDI and there it was. (Before anyone chimes in and says just use the BDDI, I sold it). I also had one of those apps on the iPad, jamuppro I think and I bought the bass amps and they surprisingly were really good. Ampeg, GK etc. just select the amp and cab and it's there right away. I'm hoping that the bass offerings in the axe will eventually get there like the guitar amps. Then again, maybe it's just me and my limited tweaking skills. So it seems lately the B7K and the like are a better version of the BDDI, so I'm interested to see how it is
So, the real amp/cab you're using will play a huge role in this. Not to be rude, but let's start another thread and see if I can get you what you want/need. I just hate to take this particular thread too far off the original topic :)

Reactions: Rex
So, the real amp/cab you're using will play a huge role in this. Not to be rude, but let's start another thread and see if I can get you what you want/need. I just hate to take this particular thread too far off the original topic :)

No worries buddy lol. I didn't mean to hijack the thread I just keep hearing a lot about the B7K and I've been pretty curious about it myself. You seem to have some first hand experience and I respect your opinion. We'll see how it sounds when it's added. Thanks

hl_dds_0000000000109146.png

That is sad news,for us bass players.

I will take a look at a new Line6 Helix once they get the new FW (with all the cool bass gear added) I hope it sounds "good"

Don't desperate, someone found an approaching schematics, and maybe someone will be able to do the schematics... Cliff does his best

The 2K is pretty far off of the 7K... it's kinda sorta close to the 3K, but even that's off. I'm in contact with Douglas (of Darkglass) to see what his thoughts are on providing a schematic or black diagram for the purpose of modeling.

So, I should have a few more of these somewhere, it is just a matter of time finding them. But, here's some amp schematics I have from amps that I've had on the bench:
http://resting-blade.com/music/Bass_Schematics.zip

Acoustic 360 (this one's a little rough, but accurate)
Ashdown ABM 500 (accurate)
Gallien-Krueger 400rb IV (This is from the late 90s and different than the mid-80s version, but still awesome)
Mesa/Boogie Basis M-2000 (this one was accurate, but I was only working on the preamp, so never looked at the power side)

I should have an Aguilar DB750 schematic as well, but I'm almost certain I had to sign an NDA to get it (yes, seriously), so even if I find it I can't/won't share it. I should have a few more though... Ampeg B-15, G-K 2001RB, and at least one Hartke (blah), but I'll have to find them.

@Admin M@ / @FractalAudio - does this help? If you need the physical amp as well as the schematic, the only one I imagine you'd have issues with is the Acoustic 360, and making sure you get a IV of the 400RB (though I might have an III schematic too, now that I'm thinking about it).

I remember about 10 years ago I saw a cover band that was very popular and the bass player had a preamp and a DI along with a few effects on a pedalboard, he told me he went direct and used in ears, that was the first time i saw a bass player do that, no amp on stage, as years passed i've seen more and more bass players do that, I can see bass players using multi effect units like the AX8 more and more. I'm looking forward to seeing more bass amps and pedals, i'm a guitarist but I do like pluggin in my bass and recording. Great thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom