Cliff, Get rid of the older firmware modeling options to free up space!!

Older firmware modeling option

• Remove it. I can live without it.

Votes: 398 94.3%
  • Leave it. I have to have it.

Votes: 24 5.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the tips. Finally this thread is turning productive... maybe we should start a lounge thread for spousal harmony with a gear habit... one thing I learned the hard way was never ask her for gear or incite her to give you gear as a gift unless you are CERTAIN you will never, ever, be getting rid of it. I almost sold an amp she bought me once and she was on the verge of tears. I felt terrible. Plan to keep that amp forever, now.

+1

Daneletro optical comp still in the gear closet :)

You know, given the rate at which some of those updates rolled out in in the past, i often wondered.... ;-)
Nah, he's just the kind of dude that when inspired starts working and looks up at the clock and POOF 18 hours gone.

Hi all

I hope this doesn't come across are rude / ungrateful / disrespectful in any was as it certainly is not meant or intended to be that way ..... so here goes:-

Given that

a => the " 4.x end-of-line FW " for Axe 2 comment was made by Fractal in an almost passing manner in a thread about other matters
and
b => the understandable and no-doubt-expected consternation it has caused
and
c => the well-meaning options put forward by users

All I think we are now looking for is a formal / official / definite announcement from Fractal -either way- about this - whatever their ultimate decision is, I have no doubt the vast majority of users will accept and respect it .... and this way, we can all make our individual decisions about what we each need to do moving forward.

Thanks again and all the best to all,
Ben

It seems they use copy/paste, otherwise we'd get ax8 firmwares the same day we get axefx's... Imho, of course

Good point, I bet backwards modeling version selection is a nightmare to maintain, probably why it is not in the AX8. It is just more code to worry about breaking with each update. I wouldn't be surprised if Fractal would like to eliminate it.

just tweak your presets on new firmware that effects modeling. Not every firmware does. I always thought the firmware selector is barely audible anyway. Nothing that can't be eq'd out. I guess time will tell.
I agree. The differences are so subtle. Most likely can't tell the difference in blind comparisons.

All I think we are now looking for is a formal / official / definite announcement from Fractal -either way- about this - whatever their ultimate decision is, I have no doubt the vast majority of users will accept and respect it .... and this way, we can all make our individual decisions about what we each need to do moving forward.

Thanks again and all the best to all,
Ben
Reading the above I feel much better. - and I don't want Fractal to turn to red bull because this would result in a lot of amp models that sound like Randall solid states. Fractal would no longer be Fractal, or bring so much upliftment to so many. Hopefully the community will pull together and relieve stress by contributing towards whatever makes the best experience for both the users and the creators.

OF COURSE We should all want Fractal to do what's right for Fractal and try to avoid petty arguments. I like your
style, diplomacy and use of color as an abbreviated but surprisingly effective substitute for a big bag of weed.

(Randall has no affiliation with this ridiculous jab at Randall solid states. If the present or past personnel of Randall read this, I love Randall and have the greatest respect for their solid state products - except I could never sound good through one for some reason, which is my own defect I'm sure...)

The entire reason selectable firmware versions were implemented in the first place was because updates can and often do change the way older presets (that some are perfectly content with) sound. It was meant as a compromise between being able to retain the sound of older presets and being able to enjoy the benefits of future upgrades.

So no, I'd rather retain the sound of presets I'm perfectly content with and enjoy the benefits of upgrading.
True

But after some BIG TONE changes on FW releases I recheck my 20 ish presets after all FW changes and mostly I ammend a bit and think (hope) to have a better tone afterwards

Therfore for me (although I m on XL ) no need for the backwards FW move

Roland

True

But after some BIG TONE changes on FW releases I recheck my 20 ish presets after all FW changes and mostly I ammend a bit and think (hope) to have a better tone afterwards

Therfore for me (although I m on XL ) no need for the backwards FW move

Some older presets may be affected by newer firmware while others are not, and though you may like the changes to older presets imparted by newer firmware, that doesn't mean everyone will.

Last edited:
Some older presets may be affected by newer firmware while others are not, and though you may like the changes to older presets imparted by newer firmware, that doesn't mean everyone will.
Again, I recognize that Fractal already has placed hundreds of amps in our fingertips. I'm not into cars and know practically nothing about them except that it costs a lot of money to upgrade one, but let's say it is the equivalent of getting into a Rolls Royce or BMW outfitted with a magical automatic transmission, and using it to shift the car into a Ferrari or Jaguar, then into a GT4, then back into a Rolls. Let's go one up. Let's say you have 20 different magic transmissions that can be saved to your PC or Mac, and you can switch them out, along with relevant settings for each one's car models. Whenever you want, and wherever you can take your laptop! That's about what we had before this ability to simultaneously access multiple Firmwares...

But...do we really need to have twenty magic transmissions simultaneously loaded in our car's dash, so we can have enough settings to make our ultimate switchable sports cars also perform like an Edsel, a Pinto, a Buick, etc., if it means not being able to shift into the next 20 models of sports cars that probably are sleeker, handle better, and have ten times more useful technology in them?

Do we need this?

Of course we do! We're pretty damn much hotty pants as users.

Again, I recognize that Fractal already has placed hundreds of amps in our fingertips. I'm not into cars and know practically nothing about them except that it costs a lot of money to upgrade one, but let's say it is the equivalent of getting into a Rolls Royce or BMW outfitted with a magical automatic transmission, and using it to shift the car into a Ferrari or Jaguar, then into a GT4, then back into a Rolls. Let's go one up. Let's say you have 20 different magic transmissions that can be saved to your PC or Mac, and you can switch them out, along with relevant settings for each one's car models. Whenever you want, and wherever you can take your laptop! That's about what we had before this ability to simultaneously access multiple Firmwares...

But...do we really need to have twenty magic transmissions simultaneously loaded in our car's dash, so we can have enough settings to make our ultimate switchable sports cars also perform like an Edsel, a Pinto, a Buick, etc., if it means not being able to shift into the next 20 models of sports cars that probably are sleeker, handle better, and have ten times more useful technology in them?

Do we need this?

Of course we do! We're pretty damn much hotty pants as users.

If I've got 50 or 100 older cars that I've spent time modifying and very finely tuning to handle and respond in a very specific way, and one day the manufacturer "upgrades" all of them and now they no longer handle and respond like I prefer resulting in my having to modify them again, I'd likely wish I'd never upgraded in the first place.

Reading the above I feel much better. - and I don't want Fractal to turn to red bull because this would result in a lot of amp models that sound like Randall solid states. Fractal would no longer be Fractal, or bring so much upliftment to so many. Hopefully the community will pull together and relieve stress by contributing towards whatever makes the best experience for both the users and the creators.

OF COURSE We should all want Fractal to do what's right for Fractal and try to avoid petty arguments. I like your
style, diplomacy and use of color as an abbreviated but surprisingly effective substitute for a big bag of weed.

(Randall has no affiliation with this ridiculous jab at Randall solid states. If the present or past personnel of Randall read this, I love Randall and have the greatest respect for their solid state products - except I could never sound good through one for some reason, which is my own defect I'm sure...)
Id like a few randall solid states and tube amps

If I've got 50 or 100 older cars that I've spent time modifying and very finely tuning to handle and respond in a very specific way, and one day the manufacturer "upgrades" all of them and now they no longer handle and respond like I prefer resulting in my having to modify them again, I'd likely wish I'd never upgraded in the first place.

Exactly. That's why you save a set of them for each Firmware, and load the matched firmware and presets when you want to use that particular set.

Worst case scenario is this:

If you perform with many presets live, and can't or don't want to re-create your on-stage set of presets so that it performs with a single firmware.

But Fractal bot can upload the complete works within about 3 minutes; at least if my experience is any gauge, so during the drum solo you can have the sound guy or bass guitarist upload it when its time.

I take it back. Don't exploit the bass guitarist. The drummer can do it while keeping a funky polyrhythm with the bass drum and hi hat foot pedal. Wow, that does sound difficult actually.

For those of us that are happy with the Firmware level at the moment this difference of opinion is pretty minor. But I guess this feature of multi-Amp Modeling algorithms, while being a luxury from my side of view is like giving up a right and privilege from the XL/XL+ perspective.

Exactly. That's why you save a set of them for each Firmware, and load the matched firmware and presets when you want to use that particular set.

Worst case scenario is this:

If you perform with many presets live, and can't or don't want to re-create your on-stage set of presets so that it performs with a single firmware.

But Fractal bot can upload the complete works within about 3 minutes; at least if my experience is any gauge, so during the drum solo you can have the sound guy or bass guitarist upload it when its time.

Why would I bother when the rollback feature makes it completely unnecessary?

Why would I bother when the rollback feature makes it completely unnecessary?
Right, I'm just pointing out that it is not (my guess) the overwhelming majority of users here that own XL/XL+. It's an awesome feature as far as ease of use for those pursuing all the capabilities. And each user is entitled to a perspective on whether this feature deserves to stay, based on the unit's other potentials. I'm just saying that your current Firmware will always support this feature. It's just that in the future it doesn't make it a priority for the owners/developers to maintain that feature at the expense of others, in case it might make their franchise appear less customer friendly, by decreasing the upgrade length of a main or majority product (again, if it is, I don't know. If Its not a product with a great share of users (comparable to the others), then I would probably view this thing relative to the percentages, trying to do what's right for Fractal).

I'm just pleased with what we already have, and remain with an open mind to see what the word is from those that know.

I was one of the users here that was regularly checking for updates of the modeling algorithms, so I will miss that. But its not like I don't have plenty to learn and benefit from, not the least of which is beginning to explore the premium IR's. And of course I also need to be sure to focus more on music than the titillation of technology O_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom