Cliff, Get rid of the older firmware modeling options to free up space!!

Older firmware modeling option

• Remove it. I can live without it.

Votes: 398 94.3%
  • Leave it. I have to have it.

Votes: 24 5.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the answer is obvious:
Remove the modelling versions on the Mark I/II versions of the Axe, leave it for the XL.
I am an XL user, but if I was using the Mark, I'd take the ability to get newer firmware versions over not having the ability to switch between old ones any time. No question about it.

I think the answer is obvious:
Remove the modelling versions on the Mark I/II versions of the Axe, leave it for the XL.
I am an XL user, but if I was using the Mark, I'd take the ability to get newer firmware versions over not having the ability to switch between old ones any time. No question about it.

I believe Cliff has stated this is not an option as there is a need to keep all the firmwares (AX8, MkI/II and XL/+) in-step with each other.
-
Austin

I believe Cliff has stated this is not an option as there is a need to keep all the firmwares (AX8, MkI/II and XL/+) in-step with each other.
-
Austin

I thought he just said it would be a lot of work to add the #IfDefs. I doubt it is difficult, so much as time consuming. It is up to him to decide if it is worth the effort. I think a lot of us would be willing to pay for the extra work required for the next update to cover the cost of adding the extra code. If it takes him an extra week to do maybe he can do a one time charge for the next firmware release for Mark I and Mark II.

I just want the firmware if there's a noticeable change in the firmware's sound. So I would definitely welcome Cliff freeing up some extra space in whatever capacity he sees fit and if possible.

Edit: Every Firmware update that has changed the sound for me, I've always found extremely pleasing and Positive !

curious to see how many of them are MKI/II users. Just saying.
Does it matter. Its easy to make a statement like "suck it up" when you aren't the one affected by it. I wonder, if the tables were reversed (XL's were facing firmware limitations due to less memory), what would be said. I would expect it would be pretty much the same.

I thought he just said it would be a lot of work to add the #IfDefs.
As much as I want more updates for my Mark device; I can understand not wanting to do this for more reason than just the upfront time cost. If you have ever maintained code that was never intended to be moded like this and that was back filled to implement a moded version via many single line ifdefs, etc, it is not only painful to do upfront but it can also dramatically increase the chances of introducing bugs, create mode specific bugs, or cause support/debug issues down the line. I can't imagine how deeply the AX8 forked the firmware code base; combined with the existing Mk1,2,XL,XL+ diffs.

FWIW, whenever the final update comes for the Marks and later the XL series, I am confident Cliff and CO will have done all they can to make their customers happy. So, I will not question FAS's technical decisions or architectural choices.

Now that I have had time to mull over the situation, even though I could afford to flip from II->XL. I think whenever updates for my unit stop, I am going to not flip it and wait for new hardware. I did not switch from Ultra to II until the II FW was in double digits (and I still have (and love) the Ultra :cool: ). I think I am going to go a similar route here... Refine the heck out of my tones/rig and not worry about FW churn until a really new compelling HW unit is available; has been on the market a little bit and is at mid-life.

Plus, even if I flip a unit my wife always registers it in her head as 'another expensive new music thing'. Which would make the III upgrade something that'll require a bunch of explaining. ;)

Maybe I'll start putting a $20 bill under the mattress once a week until then; then I could keep the Mark and have three generations of Fractals whenever a new big H/W rev hits.;)

Last edited:
As much as I want more updates for my Mark device; I can understand not wanting to do this for more reason than just the upfront time cost. If you have ever maintained code that was never intended to be moded like this and that was back filled to implement a moded version via many single line ifdefs, etc, it is not only painful to do upfront but it can also dramatically increase the chances of introducing bugs, create mode specific bugs, or cause support/debug issues down the line. I can't imagine how deeply the AX8 forked the firmware code base combined with the existing Mk1,2,XL,XL+ diffs.

FWIW, whenever the final update comes for the Marks and later the XL series, I am confident Cliff and CO will have done all they can to make there customers happy.

Now that I have had time to mull over the situation, even though I could afford to flip from II->XL. I think whenever updates for my unit stop, I am going to not flip it and wait for new hardware. I did not switch from Ultra to II until the II FW was in double digits (and I still have (and love) the Ultra :cool: ). I think I am going to go a similar route here... Refine the heck out of my tones/rig and not worry about FW churn until a really new compelling HW unit is available; has been on the market a little bit and is at mid-life.

Plus, even if I flip a unit my wife always registers it in her head as 'another expensive new music thing'. Which would make the III upgrade something that'll require a bunch of explaining. ;)

Maybe I'll start putting a $20 bill under the mattress once a week until then; then I could keep the Mark and have three generations of Fractals whenever a new big H/W rev hits.;)

The #ifdefs are likely already there for the AX8 since it doesn't have that functionality to do rollbacks.

I developed a system for coping with this.

First, if I buy used, I can legitimately answer: Her: "Is that new????" Me: "No"

Second, for new gear, after 24 hours of ownership, it's technically not "new". Therefore rule one applies.

Third, never seem too happy or engrossed in any one guitar, amp or other piece of kit when she is in my studio.

First, if I buy used, I can legitimately answer: Her: "Is that new????" Me: "No"

Second, for new gear, after 24 hours of ownership, it's technically not "new". Therefore rule one applies.

About the same here, with some minor difference. Usually she asks, "How much did it cost?". I say, "Ah, it's used".

But I think she suspects something.

It's a win/win for XL users either way. If firmware rollback functionality remains, it enables preset continuity. If it's removed, it benefits MK and XL users by extending the upgrade lifecycle of both units.

I´m a Mark II owner, and i´m sure Cliff and FAS are doing their best to avoid stopping the updates. If there´s a solution, perfect, and if there isn´t one that´s ok, but i´m not gonna be angry with FAS or with other costumers about it.

Yes very good remark. I also trust that FAS will make the right decision and do their best to avoid having no more possibilities for updating for the MkI and II so I don't worry about it.

I heard a story, although I don't remember whether it was at work or on this forum, about a guy who would sneak new instruments into his closet and leave them there. Then when he finally broke it out and his wife asked if it was new, he could say, "oh, no, I've had this for a while."

I heard a story, although I don't remember whether it was at work or on this forum, about a guy who would sneak new instruments into his closet and leave them there. Then when he finally broke it out and his wife asked if it was new, he could say, "oh, no, I've had this for a while."

LOL! I had a friend who would only buy gray Strat-ish guitars so his wife couldn't tell the difference. He pushed it too far by switching from a rosewood neck to maple neck and got busted.

I developed a system for coping with this.

Third, never seem too happy or engrossed in any one guitar, amp or other piece of kit when she is in my studio.
Thanks for the tips. Finally this thread is turning productive... maybe we should start a lounge thread for spousal harmony with a gear habit... one thing I learned the hard way was never ask her for gear or incite her to give you gear as a gift unless you are CERTAIN you will never, ever, be getting rid of it. I almost sold an amp she bought me once and she was on the verge of tears. I felt terrible. Plan to keep that amp forever, now.

If the quest that Cliff is on is to offer us a black box that emulates perfectly a crap load of amps and effects exactly as they are, then I say, why would you not delete previous firmware and use his latest magic formulas and tweak from there? Is that a run on sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom