Cliff, Get rid of the older firmware modeling options to free up space!!

Older firmware modeling option

• Remove it. I can live without it.

Votes: 398 94.3%
  • Leave it. I have to have it.

Votes: 24 5.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You said the fitness of the resale market in your country affects their new unit sales rate.

It doesn't and it's not something they have much control over, so it's not something they (or any business really) takes as an input when making decisions.

You misunderstand, that $3,500 price tag is not inflation, that's what it costs us to buy an AxeFX II from Fractal.

You misunderstand, that $3,500 price tag is not inflation, that's what it costs us to buy an AxeFX II from Fractal.
I said the price is the delta between that and your sale on the used market. You said the used market in CAD was depressed and that Fractal needs to take that in to account because it hurts their sales. I say: no they don't.

Pretty sure I summarized the conversation accurately.

In any case, this isn't worth the effort. Enjoy your Axe-Fx! I'm going to go enjoy mine!

I said the price is the delta between that and your sale on the used market. You said the used market in CAD was depressed and that Fractal needs to take that in to account because it hurts their sales. I say: no they don't.

Pretty sure I summarized the conversation accurately.

In any case, this isn't worth the effort. Enjoy your Axe-Fx! I'm going to go enjoy mine!

No, that's not what I was saying. You're merging two separate points I was making.

My point is that when it costs Canadians $3,500 to buy a new AxeFX II XL, it's rather unrealistic to ask MK I/II user to spend that money to get another year or so of updates, and then spend that same amount of money yet again AxeFX III when it comes out shortly after.

Maybe it'll be a more convincing argument if there's a couple years of downtime between the last update to the II and the launch of the III, but that remains to be seen.

No, that's not what I was saying. You're merging two separate points I was making.

My point is that when it costs Canadians $3,500 to buy a new AxeFX II XL, it's rather unrealistic to ask MK I/II user to spend that money to get another year or so of updates, and then spend that same amount of money yet again AxeFX III when it comes out shortly after.

Maybe it'll be a more convincing argument if there's a couple years of downtime between the last update to the II and the launch of the III, but that remains to be seen.
Oh. Well, we don't know when or even if any new models will ever be made. So...that's weird to make a statement like, "it's rather unrealistic to ask MK I/II user to spend that money to get another year or so of updates, and then spend that same amount of money yet again AxeFX III when it comes out shortly after" -- that's a statement based entirely on a fiction.

Oh. Well, we don't know when or even if any new models will ever be made. So...that's weird to make a statement like, "it's rather unrealistic to ask MK I/II user to spend that money to get another year or so of updates, and then spend that same amount of money yet again AxeFX III when it comes out shortly after" -- that's a statement based entirely on a fiction.

Cliff stated a timeline of about (at least?) 3 years for the III, a while back (maybe a year ago?). That was also before he said anything about running out of room, so that could definitely impact that timeline of his.

Cliff stated a timeline of about (at least?) 3 years for the III, a while back (maybe a year ago?). That was also before he said anything about running out of room, so that could definitely impact that timeline of his.
What? No.

Post almost one year ago to the day: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/to-buy-or-not-to-buy.105205/#post-1258899 -- "We haven't even started on an Axe-Fx III yet."

Got a link to where you read that? I'd love to see the details.

Standard and Ultra are not Axe-Fx II's. Those are just Axe-Fx's.
Axe-Fx II Mark 1's doesn't say "Mark 1" on it, but says "G2 Modeling Technology" below the screen.
Axe-Fx II Mark 2's say "Mark II" below the screen.

XL says "Axe-Fx II XL" just above and to the right of the screen, above the Value knob.
XL+ says "Axe-Fx II XL+" just above and to the right of the screen, above the Value knob.
So how does Axe II Mark I (G2 modeling on the screen) differ from Mark II (with Mark II on the screen)?

And is there a link about these things? - My ability to spend hours effectively reading and making out stuff online is sometimes a little non-existent.

From AXE II WIKI: "The only difference between MK I and MK II are some vents in the chassis, larger fan and an Ethercon jack instead of an Ethernet jack. Otherwise the hardware is identical...."

If that were the case then Mark I/II would refer essentially to a hardware configuration, and for software they would be identical for this discussion, and would not have been differentiated here in this and the 4.01 beta thread, or so I would imagine...

Last edited:
Still basing your "new AFIII in one year" statement on a fiction, right?

When did I say the AxeFX III was coming out in one year? I said that there might be one more year of free updates for the II. If he's still on that timeline, there's probably going to be a time period where they are making II's but not making updates for them, while they work on the III. So I'm saying if a III comes out in a few years, it's probably safe to assume that updates for the II will stop more than just a few months before the III comes out.

Maybe I'm wrong, did they update the Ultra that late?

Why would it effect the timeline, cliff is probably taking into account that the XL still has x amount of room left for future expansion based on estimated firmware sizes. From comments made it sounds as though FAS has been "making it fit" for a little bit already, so I would assume he has a pretty accurate estimation of how long the axe fx II line can last based on the configuration of the current units.

Why would it effect the timeline, cliff is probably taking into account that the XL still has x amount of room left for future expansion based on estimated firmware sizes. From comments made it sounds as though FAS has been "making it fit" for a little bit already, so I would assume he has a pretty accurate estimation of how long the axe fx II line can last based on the configuration of the current units.

It probably hasn't. I just thought it MIGHT if some of the things they implemented they hadn't planned on implementing. I think it's a very small chance though, and I'm putting my money on that timeline still being accurate. I'm just leaving room for the fact that I don't work at Fractal. :p

Roll it all back to just a Fender Champ Amp Model and the 1x6 Oval IR.

You have to "earn" more features by accomplishing a set of musical tests.

E.g. You get your first Marshall Amp Model activated when you can accurately play the rhythm guitar part to Aerosmith's Walk This Way

E.g. You get your first Marshall Amp Model activated when you can accurately play the rhythm guitar part to Aerosmith's Walk This Way
Like 70's, drunk and drugged out of his mind Joe Perry accurate, or current day, bored out of his mind Joe Perry accurate?

thank god i like the champ and 1x6 IR, I dont think I'd ever have anything besides it...

I feel your pain - Worth every bloody penny though eh :)

Pauly
Absolutely. I basically got the Axe FX 2 when I first started playing guitar (almost), and more than anything else the Axe FX and playing with the new amp models and modelling updates as they came out kept me going with learning guitar. Losing that element would be quite significant for me.

Guitar Hero built into the AxeFX? Count me in. :p

When did I say the AxeFX III was coming out in one year? I said that there might be one more year of free updates for the II.
Right here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...-to-free-up-space.119983/page-13#post-1428699
If he's still on that timeline, there's probably going to be a time period where they are making II's but not making updates for them, while they work on the III. So I'm saying if a III comes out in a few years, it's probably safe to assume that updates for the II will stop more than just a few months before the III comes out.

Maybe I'm wrong, did they update the Ultra that late?
There were updates to the Ultra after the AFII was released IIRC.

Edit: Last Ultra firmware was May 9, 2011. And according to this the AFII was announced in May 2011, so I'm wrong. They stopped firmware updates once the AFII was announced.

That actually sounds like a really fun game. Like rolling the Axe-FX II, GH and racing game mechanics all into one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom