Cliff, Get rid of the older firmware modeling options to free up space!!

Older firmware modeling option

• Remove it. I can live without it.

Votes: 398 94.3%
  • Leave it. I have to have it.

Votes: 24 5.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Morbid curiosity.... can someone give me an example of an amp sim that you use the 'previous' switch on? And maybe what you feel is the benefit of the earlier modelling on that amp?

I'm in front of my Axe and been putzing with the switch... in every case I feel that the dimension and 3d is superior on LATEST. Help me understand.

Morbid curiosity.... can someone give me an example of an amp sim that you use the 'previous' switch on? And maybe what you feel is the benefit of the earlier modelling on that amp?

I'm in front of my Axe and been putzing with the switch... in every case I feel that the dimension and 3d is superior on LATEST. Help me understand.

It allows me to be an early adopter.

I want to be locked into my presets way ahead of a run of shows. So I can download new firmware with the confidence that I will have zero work to do.

Once that period is over, I move to latest and then the cycle repeats.

I do use that, but I have so few presets for my shows, honestly I wouldn't have any angst about removing the go back knob.

I want to be locked into my presets way ahead of a run of shows. So I can download new firmware with the confidence that I will have zero work to do.
That's bizarre confidence to have. A firmware update can change more than just the modeling algorithm. What if a drive block algorithm changed in some substantial way? Which, literally, just happened with the latest public beta.

Also, you're not early adopting anything if you install something only to tell it to use the version previous.

The feature was provided so some people could take advantage of new features outside of the modeling algorithm without having their core AMP sounds change. It doesn't provide any comprehensive tone protection if you use blocks other than the AMP block in your signal chain.

Sorry about that then, my mistake. I still do not consider it a higher end unit. When the XL came out, we were told yes there was more space, but for presets and cabs, not for Firmware. If it was told when the Xl came out, which is a while, then we would've known that down the line, we would be in this situation. What's happening is sudden.

Sudden? Like death. It's inevitable. Immutable. You know it's coming...with absolute certainty. Yet you gape in shock and disbelief when it finally arrives.

When introduced, the XL was described as having "128 Mb of non-volatile Super-FLASH memory allows for storage of up to 512 presets and 512 user cabinets with copious reserves for future expansion", along with several other major hardware changes, double preset sizes, and built in backup firmware.

I elected to purchase the XL because of the vast additional memory and copious reserves. It is a different model altogether. It too, will reach end of development life.

Here's to copious reserves.:hearteyes:

That's bizarre confidence to have. A firmware update can change more than just the modeling algorithm. What if a drive block algorithm changed in some substantial way? Which, literally, just happened with the latest public beta.

Also, you're not early adopting anything if you install something only to tell it to use the version previous.

The feature was provided so some people could take advantage of new features outside of the modeling algorithm without having their core AMP sounds change. It doesn't provide any comprehensive tone protection if you use blocks other than the AMP block in your signal chain.

Like I said that is how I have used it, but I can't speak for anyone else and what they do or don't use.

I have very few presets I depend on, so using it or removing it doesn't chap me. Before it was available as a setting, I would just wait before upgrading FW. Also, didn't chap me.

When I was considering which one to get, I chose XL+ because it had more memory. And not because I need hundreds of presets. I just thought it would be more futureproof.

Same devices or not, one of the two has reached its limit. I don't see that holding the other one back is fair to those who went for a more expensive option.
Great. Enjoy the feature that you will never use.

So I'm just going to chime in here. While I've never had some huge crazy change of sorts that make a preset unusable...most people forget that if they were running a tube amp your sound changes venue to venue and even electrical outlet to outlet. So I relate the sound change sometimes to that if it happens and you deal with and adjust accordingly. Now I get the benefit of having axe fx is that you have consistent sound all the time....that being said rather than upset the XL users that seem to think taking this feature away inhabits the future FW releases for them. I'll post the same thing here as I did there.

I got a mark 2 so long as the final firmware is bug free I'm golden. That being said. I'll be even better if we get the axe fx plugin with all the FX's.

Also not being a jerk I mean this in nicest way. This was inevitable and we all know it so don't get pissed....get over it. If you can't get over the itch to update save your money to buy an XL+. I honestly feel like all of these arguments back and forth is ridiculous. #FIRSTWORLDPROBLEMS

Cliff do what you want I'll still be your customer. Ya'll rock.

Also I think this poll should've had a third option. "I DO NOT own shares in Fractal Audio so I will stand by, respect, and not get butt hurt by the decision Fractal Audio makes." I would've choose that one.

Last edited:
Was going to raise this point, too; and then there's the whole bugs thing. It makes zero sense to load a new firmware especially with no real intent of using it (i.e. keeping everything one step back) at a high risk point in time. Even FAS produces a few bugs here and there.

Jesus people, do you even read what others say?

Of course the point of loading new hardware is to use it. The switch just allows to do it gradually, in a more controlled fashion. Mostly, it's fine, but occasionally some amp will cause trouble. Like I was struggling with AC30 once, IIRC. But most importantly, I can confidently load new hardware, come to a rehearsal and see how it works, and if something is off I just roll back a preset or two to work on it later.

I don't even own a Mark I or Mark 2. But I do own an AX8 and I suspect that this same scenario will occur with us because of the same hardware limitations. Even thought this is newer hardware that the XL. I kind of suspect that is why it takes so long to port the firmware.

I don't even own a Mark I or Mark 2. But I do own an AX8 and I suspect that this same scenario will occur with us because of the same hardware limitations. Even thought this is newer hardware that the XL. I kind of suspect that is why it takes so long to port the firmware.

Nah.

I mean the AX8 is "limited" compared to the XL's, but the nature of the limitation is different.
-
Austin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom