Cliff, Get rid of the older firmware modeling options to free up space!!

Older firmware modeling option

• Remove it. I can live without it.

Votes: 398 94.3%
  • Leave it. I have to have it.

Votes: 24 5.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think i'm getting iPhone syndrome.
If no more updates available Mark I and II will turn into iPhone 6

How is it progress? It's not an Axe FX 2 vs Axe FX 3 or Axe FX Ultra vs Axe FX 2. We're talking Axe FX 2 vs Axe FX 2.

What were being told is half (at least I assume) of the Axe FX 2 users can't get upgrades anymore. There's a solution, but 17 users, only 2-3 vocal ones, want to keep the FW version switch. Before Q2, all people did was keep the old FW to keep their old sound, plain and simple.

I don't think that it was common knowledge that the Mark II or Mark I had less capability for firmware updates then the XL. I certainly would have purchased an XL had I known about this when comparing features.

How is it progress? It's not an Axe FX 2 vs Axe FX 3 or Axe FX Ultra vs Axe FX 2. We're talking Axe FX 2 vs Axe FX 2.

What were being told is half (at least I assume) of the Axe FX 2 users can't get upgrades anymore. There's a solution, but 17 users, only 2-3 vocal ones, want to keep the FW version switch. Before Q2, all people did was keep the old FW to keep their old sound, plain and simple.
You are making the assumption that removing the switch will buy us unlimited time with FW updates. It won't. It's a stopgap.
You are making the assumption that FAS will remove features to keep old product current. That might not be in the best interest of FAS.
We have been BLESSED that FAS tirelessly improves this device. And it has improved mightily since I got mine.

There is plenty of space on the XL series to PROGRESS ...and that is what will eventually happen. I feel your pain, but we are in no position to demand anything.

You are making the assumption that removing the switch will buy us unlimited time with FW updates. It won't. It's a stopgap.
You are making the assumption that FAS will remove features to keep old product current. That might not be in the best interest of FAS.
We have been BLESSED that FAS tirelessly improves this device. And it has improved mightily since I got mine.

There is plenty of space on the XL series to PROGRESS ...and that is what will eventually happen. I feel your pain, but we are in no position to demand anything.

I don't think that was an advertised feature of the XL that it will have updates beyond what it is in Mark I or II. It is not necessarily your right to have additional features.

I don't think that it was common knowledge that the Mark II or Mark I had less capability for firmware updates then the XL. I certainly would have purchased an XL had I known about this when comparing features.

Was there nothing in the specifications about additional ROM?

... It's basically the same beast, so we should get the same software.

No it's not, hence the fact that this thread was started in the first place ;)

Personally, I'm for progress. If XL/XL+/AX8 owners can get more goodies as a result of freezing the MkI/MkII firmware, I'm all for it. Of course it's easy for me to say since I have an XL+ :D

Also, I like the modeling rollback feature since it means I can upgrade the firmware to get new models or whatever, but not have to worry about my current presets being screwed up. And I'm a nobody, so who cares, but I would imagine there are alot of professionals out there that agree*. And I would imagine that a handful of them is worth hundreds of anonymous votes on this forum.

Of course, none of them are worth as much as Cliff's vote :D
-
Austin

*It seems like half the time I watch/read an interview with a pro about the Axe FX, after talking about how awesome it is, they complain about how all their sounds got screwed up after the last time they upgraded the firmware. Whatever can be done to eliminate this problem (ie. the modeling rollback feature) should be done IMO.

It is not necessarily your right to have additional features.

Right? Owning a product isn't a democracy. This conversation is going off the rails. Like I said above, we are at the mercy of progress. And my device is a MK2 ...so I'm in the same boat as you.

You shouldn't confuse the results of this poll with the actual feeling of all Axe FX users.
-
Austin

Do you know how we got the FW switch in the Axe FX? Exactly the way it's happening now with the request to remove it.
I'd agree with that. It was a concession because a few folks couldn't get on with the new modeling. I didn't agree then, and I don't now...but I don't run the company. It was mighty nice of FAS to make that concession for those folks.

The Firmware and some IR's are so good right now I couldn't justify getting hung up on second best..ditch it and let's move on to new horizons.. the progress made makes it easy to not look back.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, the 1% (or 6% so far) want to be able to have their cake, eat it and own the factory too? While everyone else can go screw themselves as long as they can go between modelling revisions at a moment's whim? Why is this even a debate? As I'm sure someone else stated already, if you need a specific modelling revision for your specific presets, no one is forcing you to update. Why are you going to hinder everyone else from getting ANY further updates just because you have issues with progress?

I voted to eliminate the modeling rollback feature … Frankly, I am quite content with the current modeling available for the Mark I/II units, and there are more amps, cabs, effects and modifiers than I could possible use in a lifetime. If I ever feel the need for a serious hardware upgrade, I’ll take the plunge and acquire the most current unit available.

And, just to comment on the raging debate. From my very first exposure to the Fractal Axe-FX phenomenon (starting with an Ultra a number of years ago) to the latest Quantum firmware update for my current Mark II, I’ve been continually impressed with how Fractal Audio ownership and the leadership team have balanced product vision and innovation with the heavy demands of a loyal and ever-growing user base.

I can recall on numerous occasions when this forum blew up with negative speculation and positive foresight at the same time over similar hardware and firmware versioning issues. The Fractals of the world (and there’s not many of them) must continually seek advancement through customer feedback, planning, engineering, build quality and superior support services—advancement equals change and it’s apparent that in order to remain the undeniable market leader in its space, Fractal Audio invariably chooses positive change. If Fractal went public, I’d get in on the IPO in a heavy way.

Well, that's worth about two cents.

Last edited:
Right? Owning a product isn't a democracy. This conversation is going off the rails. Like I said above, we are at the mercy of progress. And my device is a MK2 ...so I'm in the same boat as you.

I really just meant that it was never advertised or promised as a selling point for the XL that it would have the capability to have more firmware updates then the Mark I or II.

I really just meant that it was never advertised or promised as a selling point for the XL that it would have the capability to have more firmware updates then the Mark I or II.

Exactly. When the XL came out and even the XL+, Mk1 and 2 users were told it was just the new LED display, more presets and cabs space and the faslink connector.
It was never suggested that they were two different devices.
The XL/XL+ were explained as Mk3 and Mk4 revisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom