Cliff, Get rid of the older firmware modeling options to free up space!!

Older firmware modeling option

• Remove it. I can live without it.

Votes: 398 94.3%
  • Leave it. I have to have it.

Votes: 24 5.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If older firmware is removed from the boot ROM, it will apply to both MK I/II and XL/XL+ users. As an XL+ owner, I definitely want the ability to select older firmware to retain the sound of older presets while simultaneously being able to enjoy the benefits of new firmware.

As an owner of Mark II, I understand perfectly your point of view.

I will be very happy if I can keep on receiving (some) new upgrade at the price having "only" the last modelling version, but I can understand that the people like you who have paid for a "more powerful" AXE FX II (XL / XL+) with no boot memory problem would like to have all the possible choices available at any time.
I mean, new amps / effects together with older firmware.

(If the RAW tonematch data is not even longer, when exporting as user cab, don`t know)
This, when you export set the tonematch block resolution to High, then it would be saved as High-Res if tonematch was captured in offline mode and in Ultrares if it was in live mode

I did never roll back to an older FW - only after trying some beta FW.
To get improved Ampmodeling in the future with MK II/I would be nice - I don´t more amps (less amps would be better) and no more FX.

Amp and Cab - that´s the heart of the modeler for me, and if Cliff could improve that for us "vintage user " :D- that would me more than enough.

I can see why having the ability to select a previous version is helpful in that it gives you an A/B ability to be able to dial in the tone you had under a previous modeling version. I for one don't use it that way. When creating presets to record with I use it as another option. When I am dialing a tone I will sometimes check how the tone sounds under a previous version, and believe it or not, I sometimes go with the older modeling version because the tone fits the song. It is about options...

I just dont get it.. the 11 people that whant the modeling version. I have never used it,and i douth alot of folks use it.
And i have used the Axe Fx II from fw 1 :) And before that.. the Ultra.

I trust cliff

I've been around since the old boards and standard ultra days. I've seen a lot, contriubted, helping people, making suggestions etc. I've been mad at firmware updates changing my sound. This has gotten less and less a problem over the years. By some saying you want to keep your modeling version and enjoy the benefits of the new firmwares is a contradiction. Lots of the firmware updates are modeling version updates, some are amps. Been a lot more of the former. By sticking with old firmware you will miss out on Cliff's advances, and might never hear something better than what you had. Majority is going to have to rule. You cant please everyone.

It's a bit selfish to say no, when it effectively obsoletes a huge portion of the user base and people that were early adopters help move the product along.

It's a bit selfish to say no, when it effectively obsoletes a huge portion of the user base and people that were early adopters help move the product along.

This is the crux of it for me. Being an XL user, I shouldn't care, but if there's a choice between making things a little inconvenient for a handful of XL power users, or obsoleting a larger proportion of Standard users, I vote inconvenience. Of course, obsoletion drives a bunch of new sales, but I don't think that's the Fractal way.

The Ultra still fetches a good price and its been obsolete for years.
Hell, you can still get $900 out of a standard.

I say get rid of them. I'd rather my mark II stay relevant and able to continue receiving updates. I've been around since Firmware 5 and before that, the standard. Nothing can touch the models we have now.

By sticking with old firmware you will miss out on Cliff's advances, and might never hear something better than what you had.

Maintaining older firmware is simply for backwards compatibility with older presets and is independent of one's upgrade cycle. Personally, I always upgrade, but I like the ability to retain the sound of older presets.

Majority is going to have to rule.

Cliff is going to have to rule.

Last edited:
I fully admit, I don't need it as an xl user. But I do wonder how much time that really buys.

The modeling version selector in the preamp section of the amp block currently shows a total of 5 firmware versions to choose from, so probably not much.

Hell, you can still get $900 out of a standard.

I say get rid of them. I'd rather my mark II stay relevant and able to continue receiving updates. I've been around since Firmware 5 and before that, the standard. Nothing can touch the models we have now.
There are a few on Reverb right now for upwards of $1100.

I sold my Mark I and bought an XL+ a couple of months ago before I ever knew this was coming. For once, my timing was perfect, even though I didn't know it at the time.

That said, back to the topic at hand. If removing the old modeling versions would free up space for more firmware updates, then it's a no brainer. Some people will have to update their presets, but since everything sounds so good now, what are the odds of having to do it again? Just take the hit, update your presets, and then you're good to go. You've probably had to do it before, and you'll probably have to do it again at some point down the road. So what? If you were using physical amps and changed the tubes, you'd have to readjust your settings a bit to compensate, and maybe even your pedal settings. It's just all part of the process, and all part of being a player. You adjust your gear as needed to get the sound you want. Besides, you'll most likely end up with a better, more accurate result than you had previously since the modeling accuracy has improved. Just my two cents, but if it buys more updates for the Mark I and II users, then why not?

I sold my Mark I and bought an XL+ a couple of months ago before I ever knew this was coming. For once, my timing was perfect, even though I didn't know it at the time.

That said, back to the topic at hand. If removing the old modeling versions would free up space for more firmware updates, then it's a no brainer. Some people will have to update their presets, but since everything sounds so good now, what are the odds of having to do it again? Just take the hit, update your presets, and then you're good to go. You've probably had to do it before, and you'll probably have to do it again at some point down the road. So what? If you were using physical amps and changed the tubes, you'd have to readjust your settings a bit to compensate, and maybe even your pedal settings. It's just all part of the process, and all part of being a player. You adjust your gear as needed to get the sound you want. Besides, you'll most likely end up with a better, more accurate result than you had previously since the modeling accuracy has improved. Just my two cents, but if it buys more updates for the Mark I and II users, then why not?

How many previous firmware versions are currently retained in the unit? If I thought that removing older firmware would buy the MK I/II an additional 20 or so updates, I'd say go for it. I don't know that that's the case, but I seriously doubt it.

Further, it's one thing if you're updating a few presets. It's a bit more involved when those presets number in the mid- double digits(or more). And when you've come to rely on them for continuity during recording or live use, it's extremely disheartening to think about having to potentially adjust each and every one after every update. Retaining earlier firmware versions on a per amp basis is a great solution.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom