Cliff, Get rid of the older firmware modeling options to free up space!!

Older firmware modeling option

• Remove it. I can live without it.

Votes: 398 94.3%
  • Leave it. I have to have it.

Votes: 24 5.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gittarzann

Power User
I am a content Mark I user.

I have just read through 17 pages of people +1 ing the request to remove this option, so I am starting a poll.

This poll is related to these comments by Cliff

Yes, but it's in the thousands. However we are approaching the firmware size limit for the Mark I/II version. This may be the last firmware for the Mark I/II because there isn't anymore space left in the boot ROM.

It would free up space. Invariably someone would complain though.

Last edited:
I can't really click on either of those choices. I don't HAVE to have it, but I sure like the option. I would vote "leave it", 100 times in a row. I have plenty of "space" on my axe, and I don't feel like re-adjusting my 30 or so presets that really matter to me.

I for one love being able to upgrade without jacking up my current presets. I mean, this has been such a point of content for SO long for SO many guys, and caused SO many forum fights... that the idea that Cliff solves the issue, and then someone takes issue with the solution because it might use up some memory just makes me shake my head.

You won't be able to upgrade if you have a Mark I/Mark II.

Wait until someone can't load the latest firmware.:)

If you have an XL or XL+ its really a non issue, this only affects the older model II's.

Go read the beta thread... mark I and II's are running out of space. Was suggested to remove firmware switching which is used by very few, and not for long usually.

The entire reason selectable firmware versions were implemented in the first place was because updates can and often do change the way older presets (that some are perfectly content with) sound. It was meant as a compromise between being able to retain the sound of older presets and being able to enjoy the benefits of future upgrades.

So no, I'd rather retain the sound of presets I'm perfectly content with and enjoy the benefits of upgrading.

The entire reason selectable firmware versions were implemented in the first place was because updates can and often do change the way older presets (that some are perfectly content with) sound. It was meant as a compromise between being able to retain the sound of older presets and being able to enjoy the benefits of future upgrades.

So no, I'd rather retain the sound of presets I'm perfectly content with and enjoy the benefits of upgrading.

And if you can NO LONGER enjoy the benefits of upgrading anymore, then what ?

just tweak your presets on new firmware that effects modeling. Not every firmware does. I always thought the firmware selector is barely audible anyway. Nothing that can't be eq'd out. I guess time will tell.

The amount of work involved is conditional upon the number of presets that are dependent on older firmware for their tonal characteristics. Personally, I think selectable firmware is a stroke of genius on Cliff's part and solves the issue.

Last edited:
if you really need all the older versions, just don't update the FW if/when it gets decided to remove the older modeling from the ROM.

If older firmware is removed from the boot ROM, it will apply to both MK I/II and XL/XL+ users. As an XL+ owner, I definitely want the ability to select older firmware to retain the sound of older presets while simultaneously being able to enjoy the benefits of new firmware.

Perhaps this is a little obvious at least from my perspective, but what is the point of updating the firmware if you just want to use the older version? The whole point of upgrading the firmware is to have a much more accurate and powerful device that will sound better. I can understand that people like their older version of their presets, and by upgrading firmware they might have to tweak the settings a bit. To me the individuality of a guitar players tone comes from their own fingers and their own unique technique and skill. Having a much more powerful device to bring the sound you hear in your head to life is what every guitar player really wants. Which is why you have people like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, John Petrucci, etc,. using this monster. I think like any product you have to decide whether or not you need to upgrade to the next newest firmware, and whether or not it would be a benefit for you to do so.

This is just my opinion in my circumstance, because the whole reason I purchased an Axe Fx II XL was because of what it can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom