Cliff: Friedman BE question

Yeah, but "electronpirate" made a true statement here! If you don't like the result by default, tweak it - it get's you there!

Yes...
I think you can really change the sound of an amp easily.
The dynamic is still better on the real amp though
The weak link are IR's for me

Now is that fair from someone who follows most of the hypes, has the latest versions and has stuff on order that's not even out yet...? Mirror, mirror... ;)

I understand where this is coming from. But actually I think it's fair, for the past years at least.
In most of the cases where I upgraded, I wasn't satisfied with what I've got. And the Fryette (assuming you're talking to that), well, haven't owned a tube amp for some time now.

Yek: I thought it sounded great till I heard the new edition of the real amp.
I almost handed my credit card right away hehe :)

Oh I didnt saw that the results were posted already.

I have a pretty good track record of always telling which is who :)
25 years of tube amps hehe

I am sorry I don't have the link, but there was a thread a while back on HRI (Huge Racks, Inc.) that compared a real BE to the AxeFx and Mr. Freidman himself (who frequents that board) wasn't able to identify which was which. He wasn't thrilled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am sorry I don't have the link, but there was a thread a while back on HRI (Huge Racks, Inc.) that compared a real BE to the AxeFx and Mr. Freidman himself (who frequents that board) wasn't able to identify which was which. He wasn't thrilled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would be interested in watching this

It's probably my favorite model on the Axe.
It makes me wonder how accurate it is and how much better the real one sounds (or if it sounds better at all).
Sean Ashe acquired a smalbox 50 (If I'm not wrong it's the 50w version of the be100) and I believe he said that it sounds way better than the model.

The Smallbox 50 has a plexi mode, which as far as I know the BE100 doesn't have, and since I don't use all that much gain that the HBE has, I prefer the smallbox for my uses. The Smallbox 50 is voiced a bit differently than the BE/HBE too (more mids, and a bit more dynamics which is my preference) so I'm not too sure you could compare it directly to the Axe FX models. I haven't used an Axe since fw 13 (no budget to have both analog/digital rig) but the Friedman was always my go to amp model

Last edited:
I would be interested in watching this

It's my understanding that Freidman has worked with Cliff in the process of modeling, so I find it hard to believe he would be upset (if I remember correctly, he commented that if it was going to be modeled, it should be done RIGHT.)

But I'm digging into my cranial archives, so they could be flawed.

Again, you can help yourself by figuring out what is different about the *new* model, and emulate that in the Axe. It's easily done. (Bump mids, plexi power stage, whatever...use your imagination.)

Either way, I'd think the choice of IR is what really makes this (as usual...) Doesn't that cab have a mix of Greenbacks and V30's?

Back
Top Bottom