Cliff: Friedman BE question

guitarzpt

Experienced
Hi Cliff,

I've been noticing that the last Friedman BE's that are being sold have been quoted as sounding way better the the initial runs.
I even talked to this guy that had one of the initial runs and sold the amp cause he didnt like it, and recently bought a newer one and says it's a big difference.

Have you heard anything about this?

What are your models based upon?

Regards
Ricardo

It's probably my favorite model on the Axe.
It makes me wonder how accurate it is and how much better the real one sounds (or if it sounds better at all).
Sean Ashe acquired a smalbox 50 (If I'm not wrong it's the 50w version of the be100) and I believe he said that it sounds way better than the model.

From what I've heard in presence and from several clips the modern Friedmans sound a bit different from the AXE Model.
The difference is what is being refered as also the difference between the early models of the Friedman and the newer ones. More Boxiness, less definition, etc

Friedman BE is my favorite ever Amp. Wish we could have an update on that model in the Axe :)

Maybe I'm weird but while I think the BE and HBE models in the Axe sound really great, a few months ago I was able to try a real BE100 and I have to say I wasn't really much for it at all. I don't even remember what I didn't like about it, the only thought going through my head was "wow this doesn't sound nearly as good as the Axe's representation."

I wonder if it was a lemon or something. Then again I didn't really get to crank it at all so that could have had something to do with it.

the "boxiness" of those models is why I'm never happy with them, and why I love the Dirty Shirley....it has all their good qualities and none of the bad ones, for my ears.

and fwiw, I played a Smallbox 50 for about 3 hours in GC a few weeks ago...hands down the best amp I've eve played. Stunning. Of course when the head is 3800 and the cab is 800, and it damn well better be....

I played a Smallbox 50 for about 3 hours in GC a few weeks ago...hands down the best amp I've eve played. Stunning. Of course when the head is 3800 and the cab is 800, and it damn well better be....

The Smallbox 50 is actually $2700.......the BE100 is $3800.

The Smallbox 50 is actually $2700.......the BE100 is $3800.

then they had the wrong price tag on it!! lol

i wish i didn't know it was almost 1k cheaper...makes that rig more attainable. 3500 for the amp and cab, another 2-3k for pedals....hmmm...

I have both...
Axe fx model and the BE100 new version (2014)
They sound nearly the same...
Here is a little track with two small riff:

Axe Fx Friedman comparaison by Tonicstudio on SoundCloud - Hear the world

Friedman BE100 amp in the axe fx with the same cab (TAF) and same settings than the model.
I just made a tonematch of the amp before the cab block (but it sounds really good without)
Just find where is the BE100 amp in this clip....

I still prefer playing the amp with my cab and effects but the Axe fx model is really close...
In fact the axe fx model is clearer, tighter but sound a little bit less organic.

Last edited:
Hi Cliff,

I've been noticing that the last Friedman BE's that are being sold have been quoted as sounding way better the the initial runs.
I even talked to this guy that had one of the initial runs and sold the amp cause he didnt like it, and recently bought a newer one and says it's a big difference.

Have you heard anything about this?

What are your models based upon?

Regards
Ricardo

It's impossible to compare amps without and A/B comparaison.
I dont think that the BE100 is really different sounding than the first ones

First example (clean and dist.) is always the real amp, second the AxeFX?

That was my guess too, but I'm just listening on my phone so it's hard to tell. The second distorted example sounds more congested in the mids so I'm probably wrong since the clip poster said the axe is clearer and tighter.

If you think that the current BE model in the Axe-Fx sounds great (I do), stop worrying about (supposedly) newer editions of the real amp.
Now is that fair from someone who follows most of the hypes, has the latest versions and has stuff on order that's not even out yet...? Mirror, mirror... ;)

Back
Top Bottom