Cliff. Firmware 13 - now what? :)

I'd be interested to know where Mr. Chase puts his current progress percentage on the problem space. The entire undertaking seems incredibly complex with so many variables to model. I would not be surprised if this forum was head over heels for future firmware versions yet to be released.

Another vote here for additional Scene Controllers. That would be very cool.

And another vote for automatic preset levelling. (Yes, I underrstand all the unknown variables, but it would still be very cool indeed. Personally, I find SPL metering only ballpark useful.)

I'd also like to be able to store a Tempo X/Y setting per preset, accessible via an IA or other external controller.

I's like to know 2 things for certain:

How far away are we from the Axe Fx 2's memory/capability capacity and is there any chance of halving to the number of presets to gain double the space for X/Y blocks a la Axe Fx XL? Or did I read somewhere that the memory architecture was different in the new model?

I's like to know 2 things for certain:

How far away are we from the Axe Fx 2's memory/capability capacity and is there any chance of halving to the number of presets to gain double the space for X/Y blocks a la Axe Fx XL? Or did I read somewhere that the memory architecture was different in the new model?

It sounds like you’re confusing RAM and CPU with storage space. Storing presets take storage space, it has nothing to do with the number of things that can be run at the same time. If this was a general computer, just because you delete half of your hard drive doesn’t mean that you can run twice as many apps at the same time. From what’s been published so far, the XL seem to have the same CPU and same amount of RAM, meaning that it can run the same number of blocks at the same time. It does have increased storage, meaning it can store more User IR’s, but it can’t run more at the same time.

Personally, I'd like to see a frequency analyzer. That's something I pull up on my cpu almost every time I'm working on my tone. Call me a sissy, but I'd for convenience's sake it would be damn useful.

:encouragement: That is an excellent idea

perhaps an expansion could be some kind of peak-seeking facility that homes in on frequencies that may be problematic where the odd note can take your head off.

Have you seen the top end Eventide stuff?? Cliff would have to triple the cost of the Axe to compete with that and probably double the size of the unit itself. The capabilities of the H8000FW are INSANE! It would take the Axe out of the remit in which it was designed. The bottom line is Lexicon and TC have some great stuff which the Axe competes and holds it own to an extent, but it's not designed to be an effects power house like the Eventide stuff. And let's face it, nobody here needs it to be anything more than what is was designed to be in the first place.

http://www.eventide.com/AudioDivision/Products/Harmonizer Effects Processors/H8000FW.aspx

It may be that the Axe has more processing power and memory than even the mighty H8000. I get the impression that Eventide processors aren't necessarily cutting-edge in terms of computing power, though clearly the H8000 isn't short of a few cycles.

i think Eventide's advantage is that it has so many years of designing world-class FX processors - it's the software (i.e. Eventide's firmware) that really makes the difference, imo.

It doesn't seem that Eventide has Fractal's appetite for innovation in recent years so who knows, perhaps the Axe-II can take on such duties (outside of the multi-channel stuff)

cant compete with the 8000 in terms of 4 channels of blah blah... we only need one channel of kick ass :)

Damn right :encouragement:

After all, it's considered vulgar to play more than one guitar at a time...are you listening Michael Angelo? :mrgreen

Here’s what I like this thread….

Andre Antunes: Just wondering if Cliff………….
Posted: Feb-11-2014, 12:20 PM

FractalAudio: There’s always room for improvement…..
Posted: Feb-11-2014, 12:21 PM

1 whole minute for response….that’s why I’ve been a customer for 4 years, and waiting to upgrade to the II

Also a global internal grid volume control to be able to alleviate all clipping in all patches if need be.

I'll be the first to admit I barely scratch the surface in use of what the Axe can actually do, but what I love is that Cliff & Co. are looking to add/improve things I'm just not capable of thinking about because of my perspective on the unit. They are thinking on a totally different level when it comes to what they want it to do and how to improve it. There are some folks that are on similar wavelengths, but for the most part, I'd say we're all below them because none of us were actually able to follow through and create the product. It takes someone with a unique vision to come up with a product - especially something like the Axe - and taking that into account, I believe they'll have a fairly unique perspective on things they want to do with it. I'd imagine that adding pedals & amps is a relatively minor improvement from Cliff's perspective and that doing things I can't even imagine because of my lack of technical knowledge are on his list of to-do's.

I'm so happy I've made this purchase because this unit just gets better over time and I've been super happy with everything I've experienced with it. I can see how guys who gig have some real specific needs/desires and it's great to see that so many of them are met.

I'd love to have a chat with Cliff about the technology and what he sees as possibilities, unfortunately, I just wouldn't understand most of what he said... so, thanks Cliff for continuing to push the limits and your dreams of what the Axe can do.

It doesn't seem that Eventide has Fractal's appetite for innovation in recent years so who knows, perhaps the Axe-II can take on such duties (outside of the multi-channel stuff)

The Eventide H9 stompbox is something new and innovative. Really like that design and sounds!

Back
Top Bottom