Cliff-check this out:Scientists publishing findings related to 'acoustic cloaking'

goodwill559

Inspired
I read that Cliff was involved with Navy projects related to sonar, so he probably already knows about this line of research, but I thought I'd share.

*Scientists are now publishing findings related to 'acoustic cloaking,' or the masking of objects from sound waves or sonar detection. Details have been shared in Physical Review Letters.

Shu Zhang, Chunguang Xia, and Nicholas Fang*
Department of Mechanical Science & Engineering and the Beckman Institute of Advanced Science and Technology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois 61801, USA

physics_viewpoint.gif
prlsugg30x30.gif
Received 12 September 2010; revised 9 November 2010; published 10 January 2011
See accompanying Viewpoint: Physics - Invisibility cloak for ultrasonic waves
Invisibility devices based on coordinate transformation have opened up a new field of considerable interest. We present here the first practical realization of a low-loss and broadband acoustic cloak for underwater ultrasound. This metamaterial cloak is constructed with a network of acoustic circuit elements, namely, serial inductors and shunt capacitors. Our experiment clearly shows that the acoustic cloak can effectively bend the ultrasound waves around the hidden object, with reduced scattering and shadow. Because of the nonresonant nature of the building elements, this low-loss (∼6  dB/m) cylindrical cloak exhibits invisibility over a broad frequency range from 52 to 64 kHz. Furthermore, our experimental study indicates that this design approach should be scalable to different acoustic frequencies and offers the possibility for a variety of devices based on coordinate transformation.

© 2011 The American Physical Society

URL:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 024301 (2011): Broadband Acoustic Cloak for Ultrasound Waves

DOI:
10.1103/PhysRevLett.106.024301

PACS:
43.20.+g, 43.35.+d, 46.40.Ff

This could potentially be useful technology in the Axe Fx. There's this one church I play in occasionally where the congregation would derive great benefit through the cloaking of certain singers. :evil :lol

Metamaterial is crazy stuff. Can cloak people to make them practically invisible and reduce acoustics. So does that mean axe 3 is gonna be cloaked and the self generated noise is gonna be gone? But how are we expected to find it? :lol

I've played many a gig where I could swear the music was cloaked for the audience!
I second that. Even the whole performance has been cloaked: talking to the crowd, soliciting requests, trying to be visually interesting...nothing...just 6 dudes staring at flat screens above the bar -- LOL

Back
Top Bottom