Cliff challenges business as usual

Xrocker

Fractal Fanatic
I like the trend I'm seeing with the latest amp sims.

Remember when every amp sim had some cryptographic name to avoid being sued by the trademark owners?
Now the smaller amp designers are seeing marketing potential in cooperating with Cliff to get the best representation of their product possible into the AFX. Very cool. Smart business too.

I'm sure it will be harder if not impossible to get the big boys to follow suit. They are too entrenched in corporate mentality to be flexible. Besides they have invested so much in marketing that their brands are worth far more than their product.

Listening to major players with huge amp endorsements say they use the AFX only for effects gives me the same feeling I got watching Janet Jackson's press conference explaining that she had a wardrobe mafunction. Riiight! :shock:
The effect they are using it for is to make their guitars sound fantastic.

Keep stirring the pot Cliff, it's going to be fun to watch.

Pretty much my feelings exactly. I feel very fortunate to be a musician in this time with people like Cliff executing their ideas and becoming deservedly successful as he has. I expect to see more big names swarming in, but, at the same time, I no longer need big names to sell me on the product. The amount of time and effort that has been taken to represent and replicate the models and effects in this box as they are in real life (and sometimes better), the number of routing options and flexibility that make it a virtual professional studio (or, as I'm fond of saying, "Tone Transformer") and the level of customer service (that is to say, free updates and additions :shock:), at this price, is a no-brainer.

We are all very lucky. And spoiled.

I can remember buying my first Boogie in the 70's. I wanted to sound like Santana. To get on the waiting list I had to pay in full (something like $2,500) and wait over a full year for delivery.

Yesterday I got 4 brand new amps for free!

By the way, I know that AC hum is 60 Hz, but what exactly is the freaqy frequency? It might me good to know when I need either more or less freak. :p

Xrocker said:
Listening to major players with huge amp endorsements say they use the AFX only for effects gives me the same feeling I got watching Janet Jackson's press conference explaining that she had a wardrobe mafunction. Riiight! :shock:
The effect they are using it for is to make their guitars sound fantastic....
I concur. The last thing anyone's admitting to is how much they're depending on the axe-fx
to make their guitar sound killer.

Speaking of killer, if I was a boutique amp builder, I'd probably maim someone to get my amp into the hands of Vai, Petrucci etc, and the axe-fx is the perfect vehicle to accomplish just that. And then there's the thousands of bedroom players who might buy my amp for club use because they fell in love using it on the axe-fx at home. Wicked smart.

This strategy increases the amp vault in the axe-fx, broadens the appeal of the unit, and creates a symbiotic relationship with the boutique builders (the smart ones at least) via exposure. Bedroom-only players aren't a secure market for boutique builders, but they offer a conduit F.A. can harness to increase exposure to their amps via simple human relations (bedroom player shows axe-fx to club-player who discovers an amp they've never had a chance to hear.

And RATE of exposure: how long does it take a bedroom or club player to cycle through a dozen amps in the real world. Months? Years? On the axe-fx, potential boutique amp customers can stumble across that 12th amp--their dream gig amp--in a fractal...err...fraction of the time.

Changing business as usual is creating an upward marketing spiral for F.A. that so far has no ceiling.

I love it. May success keep rolling in for Cliff and his revolutionary American product/company.

I always used Fender and Music man amps (tubes) all my playing life. Nothing else. 25 years of hard road $$$ and lot's of fun. wasn't a Fender snob, just gave me the sounds I needed for what I did. Now in my studio(only) with the ultra I am getting to experience all these wonderful amps I only heard of or saw on the stage with the other bands.
This is truly a great time to be a guitar player-Thanks Cliff!

Definately works.

Cornford have openly admitted that getting their amps included in the line 6 range has increased their sales by 400% or more. Particularly in the US and other non European markets.

Back
Top Bottom