Cliff : Carr Rambler model - modelled on the pentode or triode setting ?

Rocket Brother

Power User
I hope Cliff or somebody else from Fractal will chime in here.

The 12.03 beta gave us a model of the Carr Rambler, which has been one of my main and favourite amps for years and I've asked for it on a wish list post in the past so,
THANKS CLIFF - YOU ARE THE MAN.

Can I ask whether the Rambler was modelled in the pentode or triode setting since they sound distinctly different ?
Both settings sound fantastic and have their unique uses live and in the studio.

Maybe both settings is available via the Tetrode / Pentode option in the advanced menu (?) but I'm not sure - hence my question - as the Tetrode is modelling 6L6's and the like and Pentode is modelling EL34's and the like as I understand it - where in the Rambler both the pentode and triode mode is run on the 6L6 duet that the amp has.

My Rambler is on loan to a friend who is in the studio right now, but as soon as I get it back I'll do a direct comparison of my Rambler and the Rambler sim in the Axe.

Again Thanks so much for giving us this wonderful amp in the Axe - you go above and beyond
RB

Last edited:
Great question

Rambler is one of my all time favorite amps. For years I ran a two amp rig - Fuchs ODS and Carr Rambler.

Looking forward to trying it after my NYE gig.

You know, I know that some folks say "we have so many amp models" and I dig all the improvements Cliff makes and seeing all the systemic improvements... But I gotta say, I get stoked every time I see a new model in the update list. It's just fun/inspiring to get a new model to play with and explore even if it has some tonal overlap with our already amazing collection.

Thanks so much for keeping it going Cliff/FAS, you rule.

You know, I know that some folks say "we have so many amp models" and I dig all the improvements Cliff makes and seeing all the systemic improvements... But I gotta say, I get stoked every time I see a new model in the update list. It's just fun/inspiring to get a new model to play with and explore even if it has some tonal overlap with our already amazing collection.

+ 1,000,000,000 :encouragement:

...especially when you consider one of those "new amp models" are $1700+ to buy! Can you imagine how much money one would need to have to buy each new modeled amp when it came out...for FREE?!

I hope Cliff or somebody else from Fractal will chime in here.

The 12.03 beta gave us a model of the Carr Rambler, which has been one of my main and favourite amps for years and I've asked for it on a wish list post in the past so,
THANKS CLIFF - YOU ARE THE MAN.

Can I ask whether the Rambler was modelled in the pentode or triode setting since they sound distinctly different ?
Both settings sound fantastic and have their unique uses live and in the studio.

Maybe both settings is available via the Tetrode / Pentode option in the advanced menu (?) but I'm not sure - hence my question - as the Tetrode is modelling 6L6's and the like and Pentode is modelling EL34's and the like as I understand it - where in the Rambler both the pentode and triode mode is run on the 6L6 duet that the amp has.

My Rambler is on loan to a friend who is in the studio right now, but as soon as I get it back I'll do a direct comparison of my Rambler and the Rambler sim in the Axe.

Again Thanks so much for giving us this wonderful amp in the Axe - you go above and beyond
RB

Sweet! I've been wanting the Rambler in the axefx for years. Now we are going to need an IR

Sweet! I've been wanting the Rambler in the axefx for years. Now we are going to need an IR

Hold tight, Kevin from OwnHammer is going to release a 112 and 212 open back IR collection shortly that will be just the ticket !

And if I can get my hands on a suitable SS power amp and get the family occupied / distracted I'll try my hands at making an IR of my Ramblers cab after Christmas.
Actually I have a few IR's (near and far field) of my Ramblers cab, but those were made by a friend, who made me promise that I wouldn't share them with anybody, so I can't offer those to you guys .

Had 1.5 hour to play and experiment with the Rambler sim and cab IR's today.
I found that many of the 112, 210 and 212 Fender cabs (cabs roughly 80-90 or there about IIRC) works really well.
I had great results with the Tweed Deluxe mix, PrinceTone 10" Silver and Vibrato 12".
For non-fender cab sims I found the Nuclear Mix, Scumtone and EVL IR's to be great.

Kevin from OwnHammer will be releasing a 112 and a 212 open back cab pack (very) soon, and these will among others have IR's of a J12 PR, a Fane and a EV-SRO - I've found that these work exceptionally well with the Rambler.

so is the Rambler and American voiced circuit? I messed with it last night and it sounded great but I was trying it with various brit flavored cabs (1x12 ac15 blue mix, ac30 2x12 bue and silver mix, ac20 mix, etc)

nm, sorry for not googling before asking. (hate it when people do that). so it's a take on a Fender.

Pentode (technically a tetrode) mode. I'm working on extending the power tube type choices to include triode.

If you keep going with more optional parameters, I could see some boutique amp builders secretly using the Axe Fx to come up with new designs and then build them for real. Using the Axe-fX as the quick prototyper.

Axe Fx 3 - The 3D printer of guitar amps

:)

Reactions: sam
Back
Top Bottom