CLiff Burton Lead for a 6 string electric guitar

JJunkie

Power User
Thought I might give this one a shot, just out of curiosity.... with my axe-fx standard and a 6 string guitar (ebmm JPX)

I have come part of the way, i think, but listen to the clip
Cliff Burton Lead by Justin Kabat on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
there is quite a bit of "warbling" going on, and that may be a limitation of the pitch block in the Standard, not having "local poly" mode like the Ultra does... and/or the sloppy playing. The response also sounds too mushy or flat

Cliff played this to start with his wah open, but I cant do that, because it sounds weird and unstable when I tried.

Not sure if the gain (drive block distortion and amp block distortion) is set up right. I used a compressor up front to get more pick attack, but I am not very good with the compressor to be honest - it may not even be appropriate to use a compressor for this tone.

I am pretty happy with how I set up the wah blocks but have a feeling that the compressor, order of effects, and drive/amp settings could do with some TLC........... Would anyone like to help me out with this one??

Attached preset and custom IR
(By the way, "External 2" controls frequency for both Wah 1 and Wah 2 and the level param of the GEQ in front of Wah 2, which is important)

Attachments

• CLiff Burton Lead Preset.syx
    2 KB · Views: 40
  • JPX Cliff Burton Lead_dc.syx
    8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom