clicks and pops from s/pdif

jzucker

Experienced
i've seen other people talk about this. Was there any agreed upon solution? It's driving me crazy. Using a focusrite 8i6 gen 3 interface

So, the FM3 SPDIF sounds different. I thought it was my imagination with tracks I was recording but using my Focusrite 8i6 control panel and with a track playing, I can switch between using the fractal's s/pdif with 48k and external clock to the focusrite 44k / internal clock and the latter sounds much better, much more clear and less "middy". I'm guessing this is just during monitoring as I haven't had a chance to compare the recorded material done through S/PDIF but played back with the focusrite's internal clock but along with the super annoying crackling i get using s/pdif I'm back to using XLRs to record and leaving focusrite in 44k/internal clock mode.

to @laxu yes, of course the focusrite clock is set to SPDIF. If it wasn't , spdif wouldn't work at all.

@Petrocelli , yes i've already done that. Again, if you don't do that you don't get SPIDF working at all.

1651241241541.png

So, the FM3 SPDIF sounds different. I thought it was my imagination with tracks I was recording but using my Focusrite 8i6 control panel and with a track playing, I can switch between using the fractal's s/pdif with 48k and external clock to the focusrite 44k / internal clock and the latter sounds much better, much more clear and less "middy". I'm guessing this is just during monitoring as I haven't had a chance to compare the recorded material done through S/PDIF but played back with the focusrite's internal clock but along with the super annoying crackling i get using s/pdif I'm back to using XLRs to record and leaving focusrite in 44k/internal clock mode.

to @laxu yes, of course the focusrite clock is set to SPDIF. If it wasn't , spdif wouldn't work at all.

@Petrocelli , yes i've already done that. Again, if you don't do that you don't get SPIDF working at all.

View attachment 100982
surely you should be making comparisons between 48kHz spdif and 48kHz internal otherwise you will be getting sample rate conversion somewhere in the chain?

Yeah, it makes little sense to compare 44.1 and 48 kHz. Also it's not true, that SPDIF doesn't work at all with unsynced clocks. That's why some people were mentioning setting the clock source right, otherwise pops and clicks is what you'll hear.

Also make sure to use a proper coax cable, as depending on how well Focusrite is capable of dealing with jittery clocks, it could ruin the fidelity. It's a shame FM3 doesn't feature SPDIF-IN or WC to have it obey to some external clock.

Back
Top Bottom