Clearification on Amp/Cab interaction in the AxeII.

BillyZeppa

Power User
I have read a lot of threads about the interaction between amps and cabs, and how factory presets have cabs matched to amps in order to recreate authentic amp/cab impedance interactions and the EQ curves and resonants. Am i reading that right?
Does it matter to the 'loading' of Axe amps, which Axe cabs you use, the way it matters to matching traditional hardware tube amps and cabs?
Or is that only a consideration with traditional hardware?

The interaction between amp and cab all happens in the Amp block's Speaker tab. That's where you set up speaker impedance interactions.

The actual Cab block doesn't influence the Amp block's output. Mainly because it can't. IRs are an industry standard, but they don't contain any impedance information.

There is one interaction.
If the Drive in the Cab block is set to something else than zero, then the output from the Amp block will affect the amount the speaker "Distorts".

This info is unfortunately not in the Wiki but should be since Cliff has stated it numorous times and unfortunately I can't find the statement from Cliff right now otherwise I would have put it there myself.

There is one interaction.
If the Drive in the Cab block is set to something else than zero, then the output from the Amp block will affect the amount the speaker "Distorts".

This info is unfortunately not in the Wiki but should be since Cliff has stated it numorous times and unfortunately I can't find the statement from Cliff right now otherwise I would have put it there myself.

This is true with ANY drive, not just the drive in the cab block. This is also true of compression, gating, and ducking. There is nothing intrinsically different about the cab block motor drive than with any other drive in the Axe-fx.
Also, it is not only the output from the amp block that will affect it but any increase in level before the cab block.

Back
Top Bottom