Cleanning up Twin Reverb model

SF Twins, Red Knob Twins, Master volume Twins all sucked in the 70's, 80's, 90's and they still do!

then it's time to show some love for the RedKnob Twin... ;)

Back in the fall of 2004, a friend lent me his RedKnob Twin for a year or so.....I needed a direct recording amp for home use - so I tooked out the power-amp tubes, used the line-out into a Boss OC-3 octaver, which was used as a speaker simulator (!!!!!) by using the bass-input of the device and the octave-driver effect but turned down the drive and octave effect - I found this working great as a speaker simulator. Then I used my T-Rex CompNova Compressor as a booster into the clean channel of the RedKnob-Twin. The sound I got from this setup was unbelievable crunchy and firey - gosh, I loved it!

Sounds crazy, huh?

Here are some examples from 2004 - careful, they were very low budget recordings - made for my personal pleasure only:nightmare::lol:?

(me on guitars, bass and programmed drums)

(with Mark Cahill on drums, me on wurlitzer piano, guitar and bass)

and here one with additional wah, rotary and a whammy - all analog effects, no digital, no modeling...

(me on: guitars, bass, programmed drums, keyboards)

gear2.jpg

the recording rig with RedKnob Twin and Boss OC3

gear1.jpg

my homestudio in 2004

livegear1.jpg

my live rig - simple but great! But I wont go back - I'm sooo happy with my AxeFx II:encouragement:

Cheers
Paco

I don't use any of the advanced stuff anymore. I've even been contemplating removing Dynamics and Pick Attack because they're just not needed IMO.

Back to the OT:
All of the models are modeled using the high-gain input (if the amp has one). This is the top input or left input typically and is labeled "1" on a Fender. To replicate the low-gain input simply set Input Trim to 0.5.

Hi Cliff,

I've been getting some great punch by using a little bit of pick attack. I dare say I might become addicted to it in some cases. Hopefully you won't nix it, but if you do is there another way to produce that effect. I'd be bummed to lose my path to punchy:mrgreen

Thanks
Frank

Sounds killer bro!

I have a buddy (Noah) who owns a recording studio that digs the red knobs. Robben Ford has occasionally been spotted sporting some red knobs as well (from your clips I can see why :))

... but hey what do I know :lol

One thing is for sure -- they are inexpensive and heavy!!!!!

then it's time to show some love for the RedKnob Twin... ;)

Back in the fall of 2004, a friend lent me his RedKnob Twin for a year or so.....I needed a direct recording amp for home use - so I tooked out the power-amp tubes, used the line-out into a Boss OC-3 octaver, which was used as a speaker simulator (!!!!!) by using the bass-input of the device and the octave-driver effect but turned down the drive and octave effect - I found this working great as a speaker simulator. Then I used my T-Rex CompNova Compressor as a booster into the clean channel of the RedKnob-Twin. The sound I got from this setup was unbelievable crunchy and firey - gosh, I loved it!

Sounds crazy, huh?

Here are some examples from 2004 - careful, they were very low budget recordings - made for my personal pleasure only:nightmare::lol:?

(me on guitars, bass and programmed drums)

(with Mark Cahill on drums, me on wurlitzer piano, guitar and bass)

and here one with additional wah, rotary and a whammy - all analog effects, no digital, no modeling...

(me on: guitars, bass, programmed drums, keyboards)

gear2.jpg

the recording rig with RedKnob Twin and Boss OC3

gear1.jpg

my homestudio in 2004

livegear1.jpg

my live rig - simple but great! But I wont go back - I'm sooo happy with my AxeFx II:encouragement:

Cheers
Paco

Last edited:
Back in the fall of 2004, a friend lent me his RedKnob Twin for a year or so.....

'Cause he hated it & never used it, right? ;)

so I tooked out the power-amp tubes, used the line-out into a Boss OC-3 octaver, which was used as a speaker simulator (!!!!!) by using the bass-input of the device and the octave-driver effect but turned down the drive and octave effect - I found this working great as a speaker simulator. Then I used my T-Rex CompNova Compressor as a booster into the clean channel of the RedKnob-Twin. The sound I got from this setup was unbelievable crunchy and firey - gosh, I loved it!

So, THAT'S all you have to do to get a great sound from one.... :lol

I was going to do something else with my life (other than sit in front of the Axe) and then I pulled up the Twin preset from the new batch. Bad idea. I've liked the Twin before and used it in patches. I haven't been at all scientific about patches and FW differences. Mostly I liked the updates and got a good sound.

Today the Twin preset with my 81 Ibanez AS200 into CLF sounds spectacular. Just like I'd expect a real BF Twin to sound. The slight sponginess, the full warm sound with chords, the ability to get everything from stinging to smooth single note sounds depending on attack, pickup and tone controls. Any sense of "not quite, but I still like it" is gone. What a firmware we have right now. It is soulful as can be. Now I'm really going to do some errands. (telling myself, no, don't pickup guitar one more time. Another hour might pass;-).

I don't use any of the advanced stuff anymore. I've even been contemplating removing Dynamics and Pick Attack because they're just not needed IMO.

Back to the OT:
All of the models are modeled using the high-gain input (if the amp has one). This is the top input or left input typically and is labeled "1" on a Fender. To replicate the low-gain input simply set Input Trim to 0.5.

For me one of the greatest pleasures about the AxeFx II is that I can use all the lovely parameters and cook my own sounds and make the amps react and feel just like I feel at the moment.

I would cry often and loud if these parameters were removed.

I totally understand that they are not needed anymore to replicate the original amps but for making your own amp dishes they are invaluable.

Are there any other parameters that one could use instead of Dynamics and Pick Attack?

Maybe those "unnecessary" parameters could stay in AxeEdit if there is not enough space in the user interface of the AxeFx frontpanel?

Regards from
Another Hurdi Burdi Swedish Amp Cooking Afficionado

Last edited:
I've even been contemplating removing Dynamics and Pick Attack because they're just not needed IMO.
These are very useful and convenient tools.

Doing a variety of covers live, I often run into tones where studio tricks on the guitar track exceed what can be dialed with basic axe-fx amp parameters. Or the original guitar is quite a bit different from mine. This is when dynamics, pick attack and other advanced parameters really help.

If an axe-fx amp that is more compressed has the perfect tone for a song, but it needs more dynamics, I can lower compression, increase damping etc. But it's a quick fix to lower compression and increase dynamics a bit to get a more percussive sound.

Pick attack can be dialed with dynamic presence and other settings and more attention to technique, but it's convenient to bring up definition and/or pick attack a bit and call it good.

Don't remove them....:cry I love to play with stuff which is not needed anymore. Please let them stay (such as the Bias Excursion Parameters - nobody seems to know what these are for - but I do!!) So I want to encourage anyone who had a RedKnob or Silverface Fender, if you're planning to dump these, send them to me FOC, I'll make some nice amps out of it, so we could send them back to cliff for further updates :eagerness: :star:

I want to encourage anyone who had a RedKnob or Silverface Fender...
A friend of mine (pickup & fx builter) use a redknob. He loves it, after hearing your clips I know why. He is a big fan of Robben Ford, always trying to carve out that signature sound out of every box... :mrgreen

For the Double verb in the Axe I like a combination of the Top Boost silver and the vibrato lux mix. Gives me a good balanced sound.

In the tube world -- i really like the Warehouse G12C. they are warmer (while still maintaining the high end sparkle) and more efficient than the Jensen C12n which traditionally come in vintage twins.

Would love to see an IR of a 2x12 with the Warehouse G12C's in them.

Good speaker to mix and match -- they also sound great in Deluxe Reverbs!

You use to IR's and they are supposed to work best with no mic. Why do you use a mic on these after all?

Back
Top Bottom